FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Frances Langford's Outrigger, Jensen Beach, FL (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Frances Langford's Outrigger, Jensen Beach, FL (restaurant)
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-25 11:25 pm   Permalink

My original post at the start of this thread has had the pictures re-sized and I have been expanded and updated some of the content.

[ This Message was edited by: Kailuageoff 2010-02-27 04:52 ]

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-27 08:16 am   Permalink

KG,

Thanks for re-posting all of the old photos, I see that I duplicated some of your material when in too small to really see. Oh well, twice is good for the Outrigger!

Here is a USO photo with Frances and Bob Hope that was posted on the recent WW II thread.

Here is the link to the archives where the photo came from, I bet you could find some more photos of Frances in there.

http://www3.uakron.edu/majuro/Tekulve/

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-28 2:54 pm   Permalink

Great stuff Geoff. Love those old photos. Glad you've restored them so I can put away the magnifying glass!

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-26 6:23 pm   Permalink

This post is a continuation of the Langford auction thread. The Elliot Museum in Stuart, Florida has a small permanent exhibit honoring Frances Langford. Some of her personal items on display related to the Outrigger:

This really puts the "peacock" in peacock chair!

Oceanic Arts shield on the right.

Caption reads: "Frances Langford and Ralph Evinrude surveying their property with Ed Lawrence, designer of the Outrigger Restaurant. Circa 1961."

Love that space age tram!

The Elliot museum is in the process of moving out of their current building and a new one, twice the size, will be built in its place. Among the announced highlights of the new museum:

"The Frances Langford Outrigger Cafe, an ocean view dining venue featuring exhibits of Langford memorabilia."

Looking forward to seeing how that progresses. It is a museum after all, so don't expect Mai-Tais and Zombies or mid-century Polynesian styled architecture. But all the same, it's good news.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-27 03:42 am   Permalink

One more:

Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-27 1:01 pm   Permalink

Rob,
Glad you posted these from our visit. As we discussed, the last photo totally rocks!!! It proves my point that Hall and Langford planned to build their tiki temple before their split and that Ralph Evinrude helped Frances indulge an unfulfilled dream from her first marriage. He must have been an exceptional guy - but then again everyone loved tiki back in the day.
Geoff

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-27 2:45 pm   Permalink

Nice work Rob and Geoff. Would sure be nice to get a close-up look at that architectural plan!

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-28 10:16 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-05-27 14:45, Dustycajun wrote:
Would sure be nice to get a close-up look at that architectural plan!

I pulled out my CSI "zoom and enhance" tools and here's what we've got:

Not too exciting, I'm afraid. Hard to make out the details, but it looks more like a plantation style house. A BIG one though.

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-28 1:07 pm   Permalink

I was thinking the same thing, DC, and did your zoom in, just didn't have a way to save it. Not to say that I was disappointed by the design, but it just drove home the fact that this was developed in Pre-Tiki times, and as such looks almost conservative, compared to the late 50s/ early 60s full-fledged, swooping A-frames at the peak (literally) of Tiki style.

It also doesn't look like this design was built...maybe they had a disagreement about it-Jon Hall, as being born Polynesian, wanted something more stately, to show that he had "arrived", and Frances, being the American who wants to go native, said "I want a real native hut!" ...and then went and got someone else that gave it to her?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-23 6:20 pm   Permalink

I picked up another postcard with an aerial view showing the entirety of the Outrigger marina complex.

You can see Francis' yacht docked at the marina and get a true sense of its size. I wonder if that was Francis' house on the other side of the marina entrance?

DC

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-28 5:06 pm   Permalink

Picked up another matchbook style from the Outrigger.

DC

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-10 09:38 am   Permalink

Here we have a very nice swizzle from The Outrigger I picked up in a trade with Bongo Fury.

DC

TikiTomD
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 2011-09-10 2:01 pm   Permalink

Love those swizzle sticks, DC!

Here's an old ad I ran across in our Space Coast newspaper...

Florida Today December 24, 1972

-Tom

View Profile of TikiTomD Send a personal message to TikiTomD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-26 5:20 pm   Permalink

A recent postcard acquisition showing the Frances' yacht in the harbor with the Outrigger building in the background.

DC

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-24 6:02 pm   Permalink

Nice ad showing Frances in her peacock chair at the Outrigger (from ebay).

DC

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation