FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Bilge » » Would you prefer Lamprey as 'mainstream' or 'underground'?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Would you prefer Lamprey as 'mainstream' or 'underground'?
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-02 12:04 pm   Permalink

Boudreaux told Thibodeaux he was having trouble selling his truck, with 200,000 miles on it, for $1,500.

Thibodeaux advised him to set the odometer back to 50,000 miles to make it easier to sell. A few days later, Thibodeaux asked Boudreaux if he had sold his truck.

“No,” replied Boudreaux, “I decided to keep it. It has only 50,000 miles on it.”

View Profile of Feelin' Zombified Send a personal message to Feelin' Zombified  Email Feelin' Zombified     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MachTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-09 2:49 pm   Permalink

From the "San Diego Union Tribune" March 8, 2006:

The unloved but now less lonely lamprey

Pity the poor lamprey, an eellike, parasitic fish that latches onto larger fish and marine mammals using a mouthful of sharp, toothy structures, then proceeds to suck out blood and bodily tissues.

Picture a leech longer than your forearm, with a mouth that looks like a giant rasp. That's a lamprey.

Biologists had long thought the lamprey – along with its also jawless cousin, the hagfish – were distinctly ancient and distant creatures, that they had taken a different evolutionary road from other animals with backbones.

But scientists at the University of Florida say they've identified a protein essential to constructing lamprey cartilage. It's collagen, the same molecule found in all vertebrates with backbones and jaws, including humans.

“It was thought collagen was a relatively recent invention in vertebrate evolution that unites us with reptiles, amphibians, sharks and bony fishes, while the lamprey skeleton was based on quite different proteins,” said Martin Cole, a developmental biologist. “Knowing that lampreys also use collagen to build their skeletons makes sense. Lampreys and jawed vertebrates inherited the same genetic program for skeletal development from our common ancestor.”

Put another way, this news means lampreys aren't quite as different from people as we once thought. Or maybe hoped.

Looks like they may be going mainstream.

View Profile of MachTiki Send a personal message to MachTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-09 4:01 pm   Permalink

The Lamprey's a lot like an eel,
It cannot do curtsies or kneel.
But just to be fair a
lamprey wouldn't ditch Farrah
Fawcett, like Ryan Oneal

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-10 12:56 pm   Permalink

Lampreys of Lake Ontario
Unlike the Lobster, are not hairy-o
They come up fumunda
When they hear a clap of thunda
And poop all over your stereo.

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-10 4:09 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-03-10 12:56, tikifish wrote:
And poop all over your stereo.

A jihad on your lamprey!

=========================

Hungry lamprey, he swim to Taipei
Where the Empress have blood of Type-A
In the fight that ensue, She
Turn him into some sushi,
But he say, "That's the price that I pay".

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
purple jade
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-10 4:13 pm   Permalink

Lamprey, eel-like fish
Has beginnings of backbone
Unlike some people

View Profile of purple jade Send a personal message to purple jade  Email purple jade Goto the website of purple jade     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-10 4:19 pm   Permalink

Ahhh.

Lamprey Haiku

The lonely poem of the lamprey.

Tiki-bot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-10 4:35 pm   Permalink

Lamprey, grotesque beast
Sucks more than he even knows
Just as gawd made him

View Profile of Tiki-bot Send a personal message to Tiki-bot  Email Tiki-bot     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cynfulcynner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-20 2:33 pm   Permalink

View Profile of cynfulcynner Send a personal message to cynfulcynner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiJosh
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-22 10:57 am   Permalink

I hate lampreys.
And hagfish.
Actually, I hate hags of all kinds, human and fish.

There. I said it. Now I feel better.

View Profile of TikiJosh Send a personal message to TikiJosh      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
procinema29
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-12 07:39 am   Permalink

For many years I have been fascinated by lampreys....I remember writing a song called "We Are The Lampreys" with a buddy back in the 80's.

What I want to know is, do people really eat lampreys or is that a joke?

I saw a preserved one once (preserved in formaldehyde), and it did actually look like those Japanese pickled eggplant, kinda purple and leathery.

View Profile of procinema29 Send a personal message to procinema29      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beatnikine
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-11-04 09:51 am   Permalink

A lamprey food fact (and warning) from the site: whatscookingamerica.net/history

Most royal families of England were particularly fond of lampreys, as it was considered a delicacy at the English Courts. The tradition was for the people to present the monarch with a lamprey pie every Christmas.

King Henry I (1068-1135) of England was known for his lust of eating the lamprey and is reported to have died from a "surfeit of lampreys," as the chronicles said, although most historians believe that he died from food poisoning.

View Profile of Beatnikine Send a personal message to Beatnikine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-01 06:14 am   Permalink

on a day like today, remember what tiki is all really about: lampreys.

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2010-04-01 10:02 am   Permalink

And it's a traditional Maori delicacy:
http://maorilifestyles.blogspot.com/2009/04/traditional-delicacy.html

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Brice
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-04-01 10:43 am   Permalink

Thought we were talking about the other Lamprey...Zane!...still a weird creature!

View Profile of Brice Send a personal message to Brice      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation