FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events Jab blows into Chicago and points north - 4/9/05-4/17/05
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Jab blows into Chicago and points north - 4/9/05-4/17/05
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-04-01 3:00 pm   Permalink

I'm flying into Chicago next Saturday April 9th. for a couple of days, and then I'm driving up to Green Bay for the Rockin' 50s Fest II.

123 acts over 6 days for only $40!!

Some of the performers: Jerry Lee Lewis, High Noon, Big Sandy, Wanda Jackson, Joe Houston, Sonny Burgess, Ike Turner, The Crickets, Barbara Lynn, The Fendermen, Bob Will's Texas Playboys, The Teenagers, Ruth Brown, Kim Lenz, Los Straightjackets, Clarence "Frogman" Henry, Hank Thompson, Janis Martin, Dale Hawkins, The Lucky Stars, Link Wray, The Comets, and The Dave and Deke Combo.

http://www.rockabillyhall.com/GB2005.html

I'll be hitting Chicago town's nightspots with my host, man-about-town James (tikibars). I would love to meet any TC folks in Chicago or Green Bay or towns in between.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-01 3:19 pm   Permalink

The home of Lake TIki is here in Milwaukee... the halfway point between Chicago and Green Bay...

Let me know when you might be passing by... I might be at home carving!

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2005-04-01 3:38 pm   Permalink

Lakesurfer - I love Milwaukee! We should meet for a beer and a brat!

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BambooLodge
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-03 08:18 am   Permalink

We will be up in Green Bay 4/13 thru 4/16. Let's try and hook up for a cocktail, maybe Thursday night.
Dave & Coalbe

[ This Message was edited by: BambooLodge on 2005-04-03 08:20 ]

View Profile of BambooLodge Send a personal message to BambooLodge      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-03 10:04 pm   Permalink

Looks like Jab and I are locked in for the Chef Shangri-La -- Hala Kahiki -- Club Paradise Club run on Sunday the 10th.

PM me closer to the day and I'll let anyone interested in joining us know what time we'll be where.

I'm going to follow Jab up to Green Bay on Wednesday through Saturday with a portable bar and ingredients for Mai Tai and Flanders.

I was in Green Bay in 2002, and it was amazing. Better than the VLVs I've been to, IMHO.

See www.tydirium.net for Tiki Road Trip, global travelogues, and more!

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-04 11:57 am   Permalink

don't forget - there's pre-greenbay shows happening at martyr's thursday(big "c" jamboree) and friday and sat. nites -lot's of rockabilly if you want to catch a show saturday night.

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2005-04-04 1:06 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-04-04 11:57, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
don't forget - there's pre-greenbay shows happening at martyr's thursday(big "c" jamboree) and friday and sat. nites -lot's of rockabilly if you want to catch a show saturday night.

Wow, I don't know if I could handle more than 6 days straight of music. At least it's not all rockabilly - there's plenty of R&B, country-western, and vocal groups included.

Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-05 01:11 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-04-01 15:00, thejab wrote:
Jab blows into Chicago and points north

A Blow Jab!

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-10 07:36 am   Permalink

Dean (Jab) and I will be at Chef Shangri-La tonight at 6:30, and then head to Hala Kahiki by 8:00.

Come on out!

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2005-04-20 12:26 pm   Permalink

Where's James?

The last time I saw him was in Manitowoc, WI.

We were in seperate cars and were supposed to meet in Sheboygan.

I learned a couple of lessons. Never trust a map in a travel book. I gave James bogus directions (from my travel book) to the Charcoal Inn in Sheboygan. When I arrived there I found it was closed so I proceded to the next stop, Rupp's Lodge. Closed too. Damn!

Always carry a cell phone on road trips, especially when traveling in seperate cars.

I had to catch a plane in Chicago so I left Sheboygan and never saw James again.

Sorry James!

The 50s Festival in Green Bay was amazing! Without a doubt it was the best concert event I have ever attended. James brought several jugs of tropical drinks including the Pisco Sour, Missionary's Downfall - mmmmmmm, and Tortuga. The concert went from 2PM to after 3AM but I managed to squeeze in a few adventures in the surrounding area.

Here's some pics. The concert pictures I took are here if you want to see them as well:
http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeAOG7JoxbNmb2Y

Bar at Chef Shangri-La:

Dining room at Chef Shangri-La:

The rum was kicking in at Hala Kahiki:

Vitco!

George's Steak House in Appleton, WI. Great 1950s Olde English decor with a piano bar. I had a delicious 6 oz. tenderloin filet for lunch. Only $12.95 with salad and potato!

http://www.foodspot.com/georges/

I had desert at Leon's Frozen Custard in Oshkosh, WI. Their sign was amazing but somehow my picture was deleted. James, did you get a picture of that?

Ardy and Ed's drive-in, in Oshkosh since 1948. They still have carhops on roller skates! They make their own root beer so I had a refreshing root beer float.

http://www.foodspot.com/ardyandeds/

Bamboo Room in Green Bay. It's a nudie bar. The sign says "Naughty but nice".

Jellystone Park campground in Door County, WI.

Friday fish fry (a Wisconsin tradition) at Phil Rohrer's in Two Rivers, WI. On the plate is fried lake perch, raw fries and gravy, ho-made bread, and cole slaw.

Check out their sign: http://www.roadtripamerica.com/signs/homade.htm

Silver Coach restaurant in Steven's Point, WI.

Grotto Gardens and Wonder Cave, Rudolph, WI. A religious shrine and grotto built from the 1920's into the 1950s. It was closed for the season so I couldn't go into the cave or see Wisconsin in miniature.

Herschleb's Restaurant in Wisconsin Rapids.

mrsmiley

Posted: 2005-04-20 4:27 pm   Permalink

The pictures are nice, but did you go anywhere interesting?!?!!?
If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2005-04-20 4:51 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-04-20 16:27, mrsmiley wrote:
The pictures are nice, but did you go anywhere interesting?!?!!?

Yes, but if I posted those pictures they might throw me off tiki central.

tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-25 10:33 am   Permalink

I am alive!

Sorry to be incommunicado... we went about 8 miles past the proper exit, and then decided that the directions were wrong. I got out my map, found the right exit, doubled back, and eventually made it to the rendezvous point, to find, not surprisingly, that the Jab had vanished. We did find some interesting old diners and such in Sheboygan. EVERYTHING there is closed up on Sunday.

Immediately upon returning to Chicago, I had to prepare for Tabu Tiki nights on Wednesday, and then leave for Indianapolis the next morning.

I will post my pics from Green Bay, Tabu Tiki, and Tiki Torch (forthcoming), next week, after I rturn from Atlanta.

Jab, I have car-free pics of George's, and I do have the sign for Leon's and many others.

and...
Doing green Bay, Indy, and Atlanta on three consecutive weekends, with a Tabu Tiki thrown in between it all, I am starting to get an idea for what our resident jet-setter Humuhumu must feel like...

thejab

Posted: 2005-04-25 11:11 am   Permalink

Glad to hear you're alive JT!

I should have waited longer in Sheboygan for you but I figured it was 50% that you wouldn't go back, 50% that you would, and I had to catch a plane.

After leaving Sheboygan I only stopped briefly near Milwaukee to eat (at Kopp's) and made it to the airport just in time as there was some heavy traffic in Chicago.

Mahalo for the good times and great drinks in Green Bay, and I'll see you at Hukilau!

And if you ever return to Manitowoc check out the Penguin drive-in, which I forgot to visit as I didn't have my Roadfood book with me.

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Writeup.aspx?ReviewID=636&RefID=636

tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-04 12:24 pm   Permalink

Here are some more pics from Green Bay, including some more shots of places Jab visited, and some places he missed.

Imperial Motel in Sheboygan.
The attatched diner is authentic early 1950s and untouched.

Further arguments against the interstates: you just don't see this stuff there.
Wisconsin Route 57.

Ditto above statement...

Per Jab's request, more shots of Leon's

Another old mo'

Uncle Tom's(!) in Brussels, Wisconsin has all sorts of geodes, antiques, and weridness. Guy who owns it is really nice, but might want to reconsider the name of his place!

Here's a car-free pic of George's

And speaking of cars, I found this old farm with about 50 classic cars in all states of repair - from Mint to TRASHED - all over the fields. Here are a few of the dozens of pics I got...

Some of our people...

Me and Jab

Breaking in the Mobile Exploration Lab 2.0...

Here's a pic of SweetPea (leeched from a pal)

And here's Mattfink, his wife Siobahn, and Annika, a Tiki lovin gal from Amsterdam. They're in the Black Cat vendors booth, which as you can see was pretty Tiki-friendly. (this pic also leeched from a pal)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation