FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events Jab blows into Chicago and points north - 4/9/05-4/17/05
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Jab blows into Chicago and points north - 4/9/05-4/17/05
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-05-04 2:51 pm   Permalink

Leaning jab - booze will do that.
image by mattfink

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
docwoods
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-05 12:07 pm   Permalink

Love the pics-especially the one of your meal at Phil Rohr's!My inlaws have a house in Door County,and they always stop in for one of Phil's "Ho-made" soups.I always imagine women in slit skirts and high heels,cooking soup in the back of the restaurant.Tiny place,isn't it?Food's pretty tasty-looks like you had a good time on your Midwestern road trip.

View Profile of docwoods Send a personal message to docwoods  Email docwoods     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2005-05-05 12:33 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-05-05 12:07, docwoods wrote:
Love the pics-especially the one of your meal at Phil Rohr's!My inlaws have a house in Door County,and they always stop in for one of Phil's "Ho-made" soups.I always imagine women in slit skirts and high heels,cooking soup in the back of the restaurant.Tiny place,isn't it?Food's pretty tasty-looks like you had a good time on your Midwestern road trip.

It was very good. I had the Friday fish fry (just like the locals) of lake perch with "raw fries" (thinly sliced fried potatoes, like potato chips but thicker) and gravy. The ho-made clam chowder was delicious. Phil still cooks at the grill (since '61) and he comes around to all the tables to say hello and see if you like your food.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mattfink
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-05 2:00 pm   Permalink

The Jab is sooo cool!!! Dig the travel pics too!!!

You remind a bit of Roy Orbison in your western outfit...just need to tint your glasses a little!!

Matty

View Profile of mattfink Send a personal message to mattfink  Email mattfink Goto the website of mattfink     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ikitnrev

Posted: 2005-05-05 5:14 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Grotto Gardens and Wonder Cave, Rudolph, WI. A religious shrine and grotto built from the 1920's into the 1950s. It was closed for the season so I couldn't go into the cave or see Wisconsin in miniature.

I finally got around to reading this thread, and was quite surprised to find pictures of the Rudolph Grotto there. Thanks for showing them! I grew up on a farm located just 7 miles from the Grotto, and know the town of Rudolph pretty well. Growing up I took it all for granted, and now I realize what a treasure the Grotto is.

The 'Wisconsin in Miniature' scene is pretty neat - definitely WW2 vintage, with toy soldiers marching, and lots of other items whose scale does not quite conform or match properly. There used to be a small church right next to the Miniature Display that you could insert a coin and it would light up inside. That church is now located inside the nearby museum, which I was quite impressed with. They have a display of old carnival game equipment (solid white milk bottles to knock over, dart boards, bingo equipment, fishing poles to 'throw the hook over the curtain and catch a prize')- and all of this stuff looked pretty old. They also had lots of vintage religous souvenirs and displays of old church stuff - even empty vintage gallon jugs of church wine.

The Wonder Cave is pretty neat, and I can remember how much fun we had as kids running through the place. The pedestrian path in the cave is actually multi-tiered with lots of steps, and you really lose all sense of where you are inside.

Rudolph also has a top-notch award winning cheese factory, a small market/butcher shop that makes some of the best summer sausage- and even a bowling alley - not bad for a town that has less than 500 people.

It was nice to see the pictures of the Herschlebs diner (great ice cream) in my hometown, Wisconsin Rapids too. Growing up, I remember no tiki presence at all in this area, so I was quite shocked to see all of those pictures on Tiki Central.

I'm heading into Wisconsin after the Chicago Exotica event for another week of roadside tourist activity, so I will likely be visiting the Rudolph Grotto again then.

Vern

View Profile of ikitnrev Send a personal message to ikitnrev  Email ikitnrev     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2005-05-05 5:40 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-05-05 17:14, ikitnrev wrote:
I grew up on a farm located just 7 miles from the Grotto, and know the town of Rudolph pretty well.

Wow! My coworker grew up in Rudolph and she told me about the town and gardens. Her family, the Morans, owns the cheese factory. I order cheese from them about twice a year so I had to make the drive out there and see it in person. Their aged cheddar is the best!

ikitnrev

Posted: 2005-05-05 6:09 pm   Permalink

Oddly enough, my parents came out to visit me last week. The only thing I asked them to bring me was some Dairy-State cheese, so I have a couple bricks of their aged cheddar and Colby cheese in my fridge right now! That cheese factory is also known for their cheese curds - but you've got to get them fresh, when they are still warm and squeek when you bite into them.

Ask your co-worker if she remembers the red, round barn that used to sit between Rapids and Vesper on F, until it was blown down around 1980. That is the place I used to live (closer to Holy Rosary Church)

Vern

[ This Message was edited by: ikitnrev on 2005-05-05 18:12 ]

View Profile of ikitnrev Send a personal message to ikitnrev  Email ikitnrev     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2005-05-05 6:29 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-05-05 18:09, ikitnrev wrote:That cheese factory is also known for their cheese curds - but you've got to get them fresh, when they are still warm and squeek when you bite into them.

Ask your co-worker if she remembers the red, round barn that used to sit between Rapids and Vesper on F, until it was blown down around 1980. That is the place I used to live (closer to Holy Rosary Church)

I just asked her and she remembers the barn! Small world. She says she went to school in Wisconsin Rapids.

I bought cheese curds at Renard's cheese factory in Door County. They were same day and squeeked, but they stopped squeeking after a couple days. They also have great summer sausage.

http://www.renards.com/

Sorry for the off-tiki-topic banter everyone!

docwoods
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-06 5:26 pm   Permalink

Ummmm....cheese!One of Wisconsin's best "exports"-if you can't find cheese in Wisconsin,you haven't gone out your front door!Now let's talk about Johnsonville brats and Racine kringle!

View Profile of docwoods Send a personal message to docwoods  Email docwoods     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2005-05-08 8:16 pm   Permalink

Jab,

Remember, cheese is all around us. It is who we are and will always be.

(this statement doens NOT consider Velveeta)

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation