FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Tiki Mug Misfortunes
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
Tiki Mug Misfortunes
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-18 11:44 pm   Permalink

Ever have this happen to you?

Poly-Pop *

[ This Message was edited by: PolynesianPop on 2003-04-20 22:18 ]

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-18 11:45 pm   Permalink

Wait, there's more!

Poly-Pop *

[ This Message was edited by: PolynesianPop on 2003-04-20 22:19 ]

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
midnite
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-18 11:52 pm   Permalink

Jefferson's Brother: My brother's gonna shit!
Jeff Spicoli: Make up your mind, dude, is he gonna shit or is he gonna kill us?

Jefferson's Brother: First he's gonna shit, then he's gonna kill us!

Jeff Spicoli: Relax, alright? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it.

Pop, you're gonna need an ultimate set of tools.

Aloha Mr Hand,
midnite

View Profile of midnite Send a personal message to midnite      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2002-10-18 11:57 pm   Permalink

oh NO! what happened?

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ob seagull
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2002-10-19 12:51 am   Permalink

okay not to air my laundry (not dirty), but away we go.

i saw the image of a broken glass (can't spell shattered) and it imediately sparked me to reply. here is my story....

finally discovering the bali hai and the trophy that will be rewarded (tiki mug to go.) i called to reserve a table next to the window, on the san diego bay. when we got there the scene was already pacified by the mai tais consumed at the homestead and the taxi ride where the driver was already playing smooth jazz.

our first time there and my wife did not understand my yearn for tiki........until now. ((folks........i love islands.....i audio taped gilligan's episodes to listen to, in order to put me asleep at night.) my only focus upon viewing the show, was being shipwrecked on my own s.p. island and i would have been okay for life.(you know what i mean)

boring......so as my wife and i enjoyed a bali hai and a mai tai in the mr. bali hai mugs (to go ), the moon rose over the bay. it was quite euphoric.

after a nice dinner and beverages, we took a TAXI to the underwater discoveries and cheap TOP SHELF beverages of the pacific shores lounge.

well to end the story, i wanted to take a cab home, and the wife wanted to walk......five miles.......

she was mad and threw the box of the two mr. bali hai guys into the street. i viewed and decided to take action....not good...car....smash (aside from initial damage of the mugs,which i refrained from their savoir).....booom.... the next day i glued them together, and they still work as mugs and aesthetics.

that is my story, sorry no pics. i don't even have a dvd, but "O" does

[ This Message was edited by: ob seagull on 2002-10-19 01:16 ]

View Profile of ob seagull Send a personal message to ob seagull      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SlovakTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2002-10-19 10:24 am   Permalink

You have my sympathy.All I can say is buy 3 more vintage mugs for each one that was broken to make up for it.Rock on wit yo' bad-ass self.

Buffe-er-SlovakTiki

View Profile of SlovakTiki Send a personal message to SlovakTiki  Email SlovakTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traderpup
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-19 12:06 pm   Permalink

I've been saving my broken mugs to assemble in a "memorial" shadow box some day... maybe a bamboo coffin?

visit Traderpup.com

View Profile of Traderpup Send a personal message to Traderpup  Email Traderpup Goto the website of Traderpup     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MakeDaMug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-19 1:02 pm   Permalink

I recall like it was yesterday standing over a 55 gallon metal trash can and destroying about 200+ defective Shag 2nd edition mugs. There was a funky silence in the air in between the crashing noise of me slamming them against the rim of the metal trash can. I filled the can nearly to the top.

View Profile of MakeDaMug Send a personal message to MakeDaMug  Email MakeDaMug Goto the website of MakeDaMug     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
laney
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-19 1:17 pm   Permalink

OUCH, You could always put them in a trash can outside and mark them FREE. Put up a post and watch all of us tiki freaks sneek off with them.
Oh, But then we'd sell them on ebay

View Profile of laney Send a personal message to laney  Email laney     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
suicide_sam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-19 1:30 pm   Permalink

My broken tiki horror story involves taking care of my mom's cat for acouple of days. Turns out cats like to climb up on high spots and walk around behind things, often knocking them over, let's just say I found out why I hate cats when I ended up having to replace my Nugget and Mr Peanut mugs and Kon Tiki salt and pepper shakers.

View Profile of suicide_sam Send a personal message to suicide_sam  Email suicide_sam Goto the website of suicide_sam ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-19 2:53 pm   Permalink

The horror...the horror....

My little nightmare happened when placing a newly acquired Cook Island wooden Tiki up onto a display shelf. I nudged a mug across to make room and then in the corner of my eye a small blur toppled off the shelf at amazing speed, bounded off the floor and bashed into the wall. It turned out to be my other little Cook Islands statue from the Victoria and Albert museum. It's little leg got knocked off. Bah!

Still, the break is clean so my fingers are crossed for a decent repair job.

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
the75stingray
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-19 7:47 pm   Permalink

Seagul wrote: "my only focus upon viewing the show, was being shipwrecked on my own s.p. island and i would have been okay for life.(you know what i mean)"

...oh yes...we know what you mean.

I too have suffered injustice at the hands of the incompetent post office worker!
But when I have taken them in for the insurance, they keep them so I have no way to glue them back together.

And it's not even so much that it was mine and it got broken, it's the fact that it is one less piece of Americana left in the world. These Postal people do not understand the significance of acquiring such an artifact, you know?!

It's not just a mug! For many of these broken pieces, it is a broken dream. These are items that will never be produced again. Oh yes, there may be others found in thrift stores, flea markets and on Ebay. Perhaps the molds will be re-poured and new replicas made available, but it still represents one less piece of beauty in the world. One less piece of history.

My heart goes out to you tonight Pop.
Hope you can find some replacements.

-C.

View Profile of the75stingray Send a personal message to the75stingray      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-23 6:34 pm   Permalink

Did anybody get a picture of Baxdog's broken vase, courtesy of Sabu? Was it tiki?

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

Trader_Rick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-23 9:08 pm   Permalink

This is exactly why I only buy new tiki mugs. Not that my stuff hasn't gotten broken, of course, but when it did I didn't care. The worst thing that happened was when my girlfriend and I came home after the weekend. our idiot landlord did work on the outside wall of our apartment without telling us. When we got back, my cheap-ass KC of Hawaii "Hapawood" (i.e. fiberglass) tiki had fallen off of the shelf, the shelf that was on the wall these idiots were working on without letting us know. It was smashed and my girlfriend's ukulele got chipped, too.
It turned out to be a blessing in disguise, however, for a few weeks later we were in Hawaii and I got a great handcarved tiki at the international marketplace.
Of course, collecting new mugs is not for everyone. In fact, I might collect old mugs if I could afford, or if I had space, or if I thought my girlfriend would still talk to me! I'm glad concientious folks like yourselves are doing your part to preserve the recent past.

View Profile of Trader_Rick Send a personal message to Trader_Rick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2002-10-23 9:28 pm   Permalink

The vase I broke at Baxdog's was actually a Bauer Swirl Flower Pot from the 1940s in the fairly rare black color. To Baxter's wife, Sarah, this was probably as bad or worse than breaking a tiki mug.

Luckilly I have the same vase at home (garage sale find), and I will be dropping it off at the Baxter's residence soon. Here is a picture:

Sabu

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation