FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Collecting Tiki » » Tiki Mug Misfortunes
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 )
Tiki Mug Misfortunes
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-07-03 2:25 pm   Permalink

The GROG Moai Mug survived the glaze fire. GROG take it out last night for a test drive at the Tonga Hut, and no leaks. It performed great. It has been officially resurrected from the dead. Yay!!!

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2014-07-03 4:32 pm   Permalink

YES!!!!

That sure is some great news!

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Philot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-22 8:26 pm   Permalink

whoa, that's not good...

Doesn't that grinding clanking sound just send chills down your spine?

I'm starting to think it was a bad idea to mock that Gypsy fortune teller.

Does this look familiar?

Yeah, that's right, I'm 0 for 2 on these )&#$#^ Drei Moai volcano bowls.
I contacted the seller before paying and explained that I wanted extra packing because
I had one of these arrive DOA before. She assured me "oh don't worry, I pack things good".
I'm starting to wonder if these bowls are cursed.

[ This Message was edited by: Philot 2014-07-23 18:22 ]

View Profile of Philot Send a personal message to Philot      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-22 9:13 pm   Permalink

Grog- that's cool
Philot- dat sux, sorry

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RyanTheTerrible
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-07-25 11:28 am   Permalink

poorly packaged Don The Beachcomber rum barrel. Not expensive, but I really wanted it.

View Profile of RyanTheTerrible Send a personal message to RyanTheTerrible      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-07-25 11:51 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-07-22 20:26, Philot wrote:
whoa, that's not good...

Doesn't that grinding clanking sound just send chills down your spine?

I'm starting to think it was a bad idea to mock that Gypsy fortune teller.

Does this look familiar?

Yeah, that's right, I'm 0 for 2 on these )&#$#^ Drei Moai volcano bowls.
I contacted the seller before paying and explained that I wanted extra packing because I had one of these arrive DOA before. She assured me "oh don't worry, I pack things good".
I'm starting to wonder if these bowls are cursed.

[ This Message was edited by: Philot 2014-07-23 18:22 ]

I always ask the seller to use both bubble wrap and packing peanuts, no newspaper (and offer to pay for it if necessary).

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-25 12:06 pm   Permalink

I am always amazed at the lack of shipping skills
most eBay sellers show, Newspaper does not absorb impacts during shipping
and tends to settle and compress.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2014-07-25 12:15 pm   Permalink

You need to pack these bowls/mugs in a box inside a box with lots of bubblewrap and peanuts. It sucks that people would be so lazy to just throw it into a flat rate box with some newspaper.

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-26 07:39 am   Permalink

I have only recently started collecting mugs and have yet to make any serious investments in the rarer older items, but this thread has opened my eyes to a reality I never really thought about. Beyond just being a little corner of TC where collectors can co-miserate over mug tragedies, the thread highlights how easy it really is for some of these already very rare pieces to become even more scarce due to incompetent and lazy packing and shipping by sellers who usually care very little about the item being exchanged beyond the quick cash they may make.

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki-Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-26 10:15 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-07-26 07:39, Sunny&Rummy wrote:
I have only recently started collecting mugs and have yet to make any serious investments in the rarer older items, but this thread has opened my eyes to a reality I never really thought about. Beyond just being a little corner of TC where collectors can co-miserate over mug tragedies, the thread highlights how easy it really is for some of these already very rare pieces to become even more scarce due to incompetent and lazy packing and shipping by sellers who usually care very little about the item being exchanged beyond the quick cash they may make.

I've been an eBay member for 15 years (January 1999 geez has it been that long?). I've seen everything you could possibly imagine in packing, from the gold standard double-boxed with peanuts and bubble-wrap in between, to a single sheet of newspaper inside the box. S&R you are absolutely right, it is heartbreaking to receive a vintage piece that has been damaged or destroyed, they're not making them anymore!

To be fair, I have to say, some people honestly think they've done a good job with the packing. It's not always about indifference, that they got their money and so what happens after that. As with anything, the quality of the job is subjective. When I've pointed out the sub-quality packing, they honestly think they did a good job. I've learned for precious pieces, to tell them how I would like it packed, most people will take some extra effort, if you emphasize how valuable the piece is to you, and I offer to pay any extra shipping cost.

View Profile of Loki-Tiki Send a personal message to Loki-Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wizzard419
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-26 10:57 am   Permalink

I swear cardboard boxes must be getting less durable or the machines they are using in sorting have decided they hate packages now because every box looks like it has been sat on.

One of the times a seller put a ceramic piece in a box with no packing, the box comes (looking sat on) and amazingly the piece was not damaged at all.

I'm not sure if anyone here has ever filed a claim with the postal service, but it is actually really easy. I ordered something and the seller required 2-day USPS shipping, it took over a week to arrive from shipment and the box was squashed again (contents were fine). I was more pissed at how long it took so I sent a claim in and they paid the shipping cost.

I don't know if they have been forced to change how mail is routed but it seems like everything is taking longer than it used to for delivery. In the past I send a box out to someone in NorCal and it will be there the next day, now it takes at least two.

View Profile of wizzard419 Send a personal message to wizzard419      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-26 12:19 pm   Permalink

One time i bought a mug on eBay & the seller just put it in an non-padded manilla envelope
no packing materials, newspaper, no anything, yet I received it miraculously undamaged!

Although the seller did charge me a premium for packing & shipping...

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation