FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving What's Your Carving Method?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
What's Your Carving Method?
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-10 10:00 am   Permalink

When I attack a piece of wood, ANY tool that will remove the chunks is what I use. Chisels, gouges, knives, forks, (scratch that)files foredom, angle grinder, die grinder, band saw, table saw, chain saw jewelers saw, coping saw,metal working tools, woodworking tools, a few choice words at the appropriate time, a little blood, a lot of sweat and a Hammer, big one sometimes. Did I leave anything out?
When I go through catalogs I always look for new and different ways to remove wood and make the job easier. Then I have to find a way to get the money to buy it. I have a list as long as my arm of tools to buy. As i can justify them, I'll get them a bit at a time.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
doctiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-04-10 5:35 pm   Permalink

Ben, right on, right on. All of my catalogs are wringled from me drooling at all the new dodads and tools.

View Profile of doctiki Send a personal message to doctiki  Email doctiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-10 6:52 pm   Permalink

I Know.. It is really a good way to learn how to do stuff. There is just something about tools that can teach you so many things.Gottta find more

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-11 12:25 pm   Permalink

Hey Ben,

It's all starting to click now, and the burrs that you pointed me to are the key, I think. I got this last tiki done in a week, doing the chiseling in 1/2 hour a day increments on my lunch break during the weekdays, then about 3 hours each day Sat & Sun while my kiddo was napping. So, about 8 or 9 hours total from chisel rough in to the first coat of varnish, which is lightning speed for me. My first wood tiki took me about 2 months in my "spare" time.

I think my next tool acquisition will have to be a nice set of the Kutzall Carbide burrs - both 1/8" and 1/4" shank. I'm just not sure what shape and courseness (sp?) to get. Those little suckers are expensive, so it's something to think about.

Swanky,

I take that back about the Dremel. I think you really need both 1/4" and 1/8" shank tools. There's a lot of places you just can't reach with the 1/4". Last weekend I set them both up side by side. When the compressor ran low on air, I just switched over to the Dremel while it caught up. Sort of a production line, back & forth.

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-02 12:14 pm   Permalink

I'm bumping this because it was a great conversation. To be resumed at "Coon-Tiki" I'm sure!

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
YankeeAirPirate
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-08-14 09:01 am   Permalink

These kinds of discussions are great for beginners like me. Thanks.

View Profile of YankeeAirPirate Send a personal message to YankeeAirPirate  Email YankeeAirPirate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Moondance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-14 09:04 am   Permalink

I agree

View Profile of Moondance Send a personal message to Moondance  Email Moondance Goto the website of Moondance     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-14 12:55 pm   Permalink

Ahhhhh good times, good times.

Where the hell is Gary anywayz?

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation