FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Marketplace The Spring 2005 Big Lots tiki collection is here...
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
The Spring 2005 Big Lots tiki collection is here...
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-07 4:25 pm   Permalink

Yes, it's Spring again, and Big Lots has unveiled the first of their tiki/hawaiiana/hula/luau collection for this season.

I always go a little crazy buying this uhhhh more cheaply made stuff, and then I just wind up putting it in a box in a closet. Some of it, with the non-trad colors, I put in the kitchen, and it works OK, but most of it doesn't mesh well with the classic tiki decor. I was disciplined this time around and only bought these two:

The mug on the left is a direct rip off of accoutrements Bigmouth tiki mug set. It is basically (in design) two of accoutrements' short mugs stacked to make one taller mug. It looks more a Haida totem now though. I may use it in my "Sasquatch Room." It comes in other colors as well as the green. The other piece is a ceramic planter, complete with drainage hole on the bottom. It came in other colors as well.

There was a plastic "Tiki Tini Set" that was a translucent plastic rip-off (or "variation") of the Tiki Farm Martiki glass. There were four in a set, each of a different color. Last, but least, there was a large ceramic tiki head pitcher. The tiki was a Florida style tiki, all smiles and teeth, but was unfortunately sporting a pair of extremely gaudy sunglasses. I just couldn't do it. Maybe someday I'll work up the nerve or have a chemical imbalance, but not today.

I'm sure they'll have new releases in the coming weeks as tiki is now "in," in China.

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-07 4:55 pm   Permalink

You have a saskquatch room? Cool.

View Profile of Sweet Daddy Tiki Send a personal message to Sweet Daddy Tiki  Goto the website of Sweet Daddy Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-07 5:31 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-04-07 16:55, Sweet Daddy Tiki wrote:
You have a saskquatch room? Cool.

Ahh...no, I was just kidding. But I'd like to! Got any plaster casts you'd like to sell or trade? Somehow I feel that Sasquatch and tiki go together but I have no idea how.

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-07 6:31 pm   Permalink

I don't know if I should be excited or scared... the planter is pretty cool though. I could see lining the patio with Big Lots tiki planters this summer.

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-07 9:22 pm   Permalink

Ya I'd totally use the planter.

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-08 09:29 am   Permalink

Quote:
On 2005-04-07 17:31, Kono wrote:Somehow I feel that Sasquatch and tiki go together but I have no idea how.

Easy! Ask DJ Lee! (Hint: a cool bar with locations in both S.F. and LA)

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-08 09:40 am   Permalink

Kono - Is your Lemon Hart being held by a crab?

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-08 11:09 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-04-08 09:40, Trader Woody wrote:
Kono - Is your Lemon Hart being held by a crab?

Trader Woody

Yep. They're about US$15-20 at most cookware shops.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SugarCaddyDaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-08 3:05 pm   Permalink

Just like my ol' favorite western says, "I'm roundin' up the troops and comin' at ya hard & fast..."

[ This Message was edited by: SugarCaddyDaddy 2005-11-29 00:25 ]

View Profile of SugarCaddyDaddy Send a personal message to SugarCaddyDaddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-08 4:01 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-04-08 15:05, SugarCaddyDaddy wrote:
You all have the right to buy what you like in the stores, but honestly, I would not purchase this set! Anyone ripping off ChikiTiki, CrazyAl, Squid, Shag, Marcus Pizzuti, Jimmy C., Drew Brophy, Joe & Donella Vitale, Flounder, Mr. G, Kevin Kidney & Jody Daily, or Sam Gambino or any of our Tiki Farm Ohana will not get my support!

Not only that, but it sucks! It's very cheaply made.

Coincidentally, I received an unsolicited email a couple of days ago from a VP of Old Time Pottery. He stumble across, or was pointed to
this old thread and wanted to comment that Old Time Pottery does not design nor commission design of any of the products that they sell. They go shopping for large quantities of wholesale product and buy what they find appealing for their stores. A lot of what they purchase comes from China and the Chinese manufacturers are adept at identifying current trends and making knock offs.

Speaking of Old Time Pottery...yes, Woody that is a crab trying to run away with my Demerera!

$4.99 from Old Time Pottery. Obviously the Chinese have latched onto the crab wine holder craze but in this case the knock off is better than the original (IMO).

ZebraTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-08 9:41 pm   Permalink

Kono-

As if the presence of the crab bottle holder and the idea of the Sasquatch room aren't cool enough...

What's your review of your Riavl ice crusher? Would you buy the same model if you had to replace it?

I'm trying to decide what brand to buy for my Loch Ness Monster room.

View Profile of ZebraTiki Send a personal message to ZebraTiki  Email ZebraTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-09 06:55 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-04-08 21:41, ZebraTiki wrote:
Kono-

As if the presence of the crab bottle holder and the idea of the Sasquatch room aren't cool enough...

What's your review of your Riavl ice crusher? Would you buy the same model if you had to replace it?

I'm trying to decide what brand to buy for my Loch Ness Monster room.

Sure, I guess I would buy it again. I would call it more of a shaver than a crusher since it passes the ice over a blade. I have a hand cranked ice shaver from Hawaii Ice that I use when I want to feel more "authentic" but when I'm in a hurry (99.9% of the time) I use the electric one. No complaints.

Rave reviews on Amazon: "Best snow maker out of four I tried!" "Easy to use!" "The number 1 snow cone maker!!!"

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00006IUYI/qid=1113054671/sr=8-5/ref=pd_csp_5/103-2421944-1808636?v=glance&s=kitchen&n=507846

I don't think I paid that much for it though. Seems to me I got it for under $20, maybe at Target? That was a while back.

Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-09 07:19 am   Permalink

[quote]
On 2005-04-08 16:01, Kono wrote:
Quote:

$4.99 from Old Time Pottery. Obviously the Chinese have latched onto the crab wine holder craze but in this case the knock off is better than the original (IMO).

Absolutely! Much more realistic. The bottle-hugging crustacean craze hasn't hit Europe yet and I'm at a loss to know why.....

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-09 10:33 am   Permalink

Thanks to y'all, I hit Big Lots on the way home last night. Sure enough, there in all their fake glory were muchos sets of plastic martiki glasses. Not hard to pass those up (who'd want to drink an icy martini or cosmopolitan or vodka martini with a twist (my fave) from a *plastic* cup? Eeeww!)

Did not resist a multitude of other goodies, however. I even fell for the fake palapa-like umbrella for $20. 6' handle/stem/whatever. No stand for it (I'll either have to buy one somewhere of just stick it in the ground - my personal, cheap choice). No planters at our store, but I got the Accoutrements rip-off mug in red for $3.99 (I don't know any of their designers, so I didn't feel loyal enough to forego that purchase!). Also got lots of pretty, fake flowers like water lilies (to float in a bowl, I guess, since I have no fountain....yet) and a big, red clip-on gerbera daisy. A buck each. Zazz!

And non-tiki but damn useful: a couple of very-compact-but-fullsize-when-open umbrellas for $2.99 each. No horrible thing when I lose them or they break!

Now to find me a crab bottle holder. Curse you people making me want and buy things I don't really need!!!

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kanaka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-15 1:44 pm   Permalink

If you look in the summer beach/swimming equipment section our big lots had a nice solid wood Tiki boogie board

"Not to be used as a floatation devise"

Kanaka

View Profile of Kanaka Send a personal message to Kanaka  Email Kanaka     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation