FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts My future home bar (Complete! 12.17.05)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
My future home bar (Complete! 12.17.05)
exotica59
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-28 07:46 am   Permalink

I just love all the bamboo. I hadn't though about using a glue gun. Good idea! I've been drilling tiny holes then nailing everything. I think I'll be trying out the hot glue in the near future.
You're gonna have a real nice place to ride out the winter in tropical splendor!

View Profile of exotica59 Send a personal message to exotica59  Email exotica59     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-28 10:16 am   Permalink

I've been watching your project and updates for while and have enjoyed watching the progress. I know where I'd be hibernating out the Wisconsin winter.

JohnnyP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
demerara

Posted: 2005-11-28 5:43 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-11-26 07:40, finkdaddy wrote:
Finally started the bar last night. The frame looks tiny in the pictures, but when it's all done it will be 43 1/2" tall, 20" wide, and 72" long.

Your tiki room looks incredible! Are those 2x4s you're using in the frame of your bar? 2x6s?

View Profile of demerara Send a personal message to demerara      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-29 9:54 pm   Permalink

Looking good dude! Cant wait to see what you have in store for the bar!

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-30 05:41 am   Permalink

Finky, the bar is looking great. You need to Hurry up and finish it so you can get back to carving though. I really miss seeing your carvings come to life. Watching the bar unfold is the next best thing though.
More Pix, More pic's, More pictures, More.....

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-10 5:59 pm   Permalink

I had to take a little break from the bar for financial reasons, but I finally got back to it. I just stained the bar top and in the morning I will put a coat of poly on it. When that's dry, I'll build up the sides with plywood, lauhala, and bamboo. Then I have to figure out how I'm going to put up the thatch awning.

Demerara, those are 2x6's I used for the frame. I know it's a bit of overkill, but I already had them in the garage, so what the hell.

thanks for looking!!

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
demerara

Posted: 2005-12-10 7:45 pm   Permalink

I'm soooo jealous! When you get a chance, would you mind sharing some of the details of your bar construction plans? It looks like what you're putting together is basically the same thing I've been dreaming of for a while now!

View Profile of demerara Send a personal message to demerara      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-10 9:24 pm   Permalink

Finky, man oh man it is REALLY Lookin' good. I Almost forgive you for not carving too much( but NOT!!). Really the work you are doing is Superb and very Ultra clean and super neat. I should have known, looking at your carvings, that any other home project you attempt, will be Totally Top-shelf and ultra professional looking. (Are you sure you don't have Bamboo Ben hidden away back there anywhere do you??)( He HAS Been missing in action with some lame excuse about the Kona Club re-do).
Well keep it going anf hurry and finish it. We need some Carvings!!!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-11 05:50 am   Permalink

Cool bar top finky - keep the pics coming

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-11 06:42 am   Permalink

Thanks for all the kind words everyone.

Demerara, Here's how I put everything together: I get an idea in my head and then dive into the project head-first without any planning whatsoever. Then I stand back and stare, with a disapproving scowl, at what I've done for a period that lasts anywhere from a few hours to several days. Then I swear a lot and whine to my wife until she threatens to move out of the house. Then I take apart and rebuild everything several times until I run out of screws, at which time I show what I've done to you folks. So I don't really have any "plans" to show you, but if you want me to give you the dimensions and techniques I used on everything, I'll do that when I'm done. Just let me know because I'd love to help.

Ben, Thanks for the support! I know I haven't been carving a ton lately, but once this gets finished I'll dive right back in, you'll see! I'm also kind of waiting for Christmas to pass, because I suspect there may be some carving goodies under the tree this year. (If you're reading this Rebecca, that was a major hint!). As for Bamboo Ben, yes he is tied up in my basement, just out of sight of the camera. I find that if I give him enough rum I can release him and he goes to work for me!

Actually, I could use his help. I thought it was such a good idea to use the glue gun to stick the bamboo to the walls. It worked like a charm. But now that winter has set in, the cool, dry air is causing some of the bamboo to twist and pop right off the walls. Has anyone else had this issue? If I could do it all over again, I would have put up some kind of wood instead of drywall so I could nail it in. Like I said, I just don't plan anything.

Hewey, Thanks mate! So, have you broken any land speed records with that cool wagon yet?

[ This Message was edited by: finkdaddy 2005-12-11 15:07 ]

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Matt Reese
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-11 08:07 am   Permalink

Nice progress. Your place is coming along so nice.

View Profile of Matt Reese Send a personal message to Matt Reese  Email Matt Reese     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-11 2:42 pm   Permalink

Getting closer every post. I am going to have to dig a basement under my house, I am so jealous.
JP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-11 5:24 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-12-11 06:42, finkdaddy wrote:
As for Bamboo Ben, yes he is tied up in my basement, just out of sight of the camera.

---
Mmmm. Bamboo Bondage!!

----

Actually, I could use his help. I thought it was such a good idea to use the glue gun to stick the bamboo to the walls. It worked like a charm. But now that winter has set in, the cool, dry air is causing some of the bamboo to twist and pop right off the walls. Has anyone else had this issue? If I could do it all over again, I would have put up some kind of wood instead of drywall so I could nail it in. Like I said, I just don't plan anything.
-------
Sorry to say Fink, but your best bet would to do it all over again with the wood backing. You could also try to drill a pilot hole on an angle and either use finish nailz and or drywall screwz to angle them into the drywall. Straight in and they will pull out still. Use different anglez against each other. Toe Nail would be the word. Use some sort of construction adheisive also. Hopefully this will werk for you. You could also put a Base Board Runner on the bottom and top of the walls and screw them over the popping boo into the studs in the wall.

That's my 2 centz. Hope this helpz youz out.
( my good deed for the day, month, year. now back to Arrrr-ism!!Arrr)

[ This Message was edited by: finkdaddy 2005-12-11 15:07 ]

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-11 6:39 pm   Permalink

Thanks Ben!! I will try the pilot holes and the angled nails. I'll let you know how it works out. This is another great example of why I love this place so much.

Mahalo!

finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-14 8:25 pm   Permalink

Just a bit further. I'm sort of addicted to posting these now so forgive the overkill. I'm going to finish up the whole pattern with the bamboo on both sides.

In case you couldn't notice, I'm trying to show off my new bottle of Havana Club! Wasn't easy to find 'round these parts.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation