Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music Duke Kahanamoku Ukes
Duke Kahanamoku Ukes
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-13 3:17 pm   Permalink

What makes these ukes so special (other than the name)? I bought one at a Tarpon Springs antique mall for $30 last month.
KG

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7313655615&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki King
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-14 07:18 am   Permalink

what's special about them? it depends. The were a ton of them made, and they range from decent to wall hanger. mostly made in China or Japan, generally the older the better. They were (and are) your basic tourist Uke, and were still being produced in various forms up untill pretty recently (90's?) I have seen these get did up because people think the "duke" name makes it some super collectors item. The one in this auction looks to be 50's-60's, laminate (plywood) construction. going price depends on who wants it, but I would say "value" is $75-$150, (depending on sound) unless it has some famous story behind it.

View Profile of Tiki King Send a personal message to Tiki King  Email Tiki King Goto the website of Tiki King     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ookoo lady
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-14 07:27 am   Permalink

I've read on other ukulele bulletin boards that bidders with zero feedback are bidding up the prices to astronomic levels. It could be the seller is using a "shill" to try and get a higher price, or someone is just trying to sabotage the auction.

View Profile of ookoo lady Send a personal message to ookoo lady      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-19 2:44 pm   Permalink

Mahalo for the advice.
It's a nice instrument, but definitely not Koa wood. I'm keeeping mine because of the connection with "Duke".
KG

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation