FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Where to buy TV syrups in NY/NJ?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Where to buy TV syrups in NY/NJ?
velveteenlounge
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-24 09:59 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-10-18 22:53, KaptainKuku wrote:
Sorry, but all you people need to move to Los Angeles.

No problem finding Trader Vics syrups, old Martin Denny records, paper parasols, old tiki mugs, and Torani syrups in every variety imaginable.

If you need good pizza, stay in NYC. If you have a Tiki jones, Gotham is not the place to do it. And I say that as someone raised in Bergen County, New Jersey.

P.S.: When you get here, check out the flea market at Pasadena City College. First Sunday of the month. You'll probably find Tiki mugs on Melrose Avenue, or other hipster hot spots, but you'll pay through the nose for them.

Couldn't agree more! As one who grew up in LA I know exactly what I'm missing and it hurts!

View Profile of velveteenlounge Send a personal message to velveteenlounge  Goto the website of velveteenlounge     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-31 12:22 pm   Permalink

Believe it or not TWO more tiki drink related finds right here in NYC:

1) There is a Latino/Chinese restaurant on the Upper West Side called Flora De Mayo. Although there is nothing Tiki about it all, I was totally surprised that they serve Mai Tais and Zombies in Orchids of Hawaii Tiki mugs! They also use Trader Vic's Mai Tai mix in their Mai Tais. Who woulda known? It's a very busy restaurant located across the street from the 1930s/ ArtDeco era Metro Twin theater which also looks like it's worh checking out.

2) I almost fell over when I found that the Food Emporium at Union Square carries Mr. T's Mai Tai mix. This is the first time I have ever seen any supermarket carry Mai Tai mix in New York City. You can't ever find it anywhere;not at the upscale supermarkets or bodegas or anywhere in between. So this was a total surprise. I bought a bottle and hopefully they'll continue to carry it. Hell..they carry all those stupid TGIF Mudslide and other lame drink mixes why shouldn't they carry at least one brand of Mai Tai mix?

[ This Message was edited by: donhonyc 2005-10-31 12:24 ]

View Profile of donhonyc Send a personal message to donhonyc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
susanr5
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-11-10 4:20 pm   Permalink

Well there's a good reason to run to Union Square! I'll have to make a trip very soon

Thanks!

View Profile of susanr5 Send a personal message to susanr5      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-09 5:11 pm   Permalink

This is from the "knew this was gonna happen" department. Went to Food Emporium-Union Square tonite. NO MORE MR. & MRS. T'S MAI-TAI MIX. I knew it was too good to be true. Either their out of stock (doubt it) or it was just a seasonal thing. I guess I'll have to wait until next summer to find out. They had every other frickin' TGI-Friday's and Mr. & Mrs. T's drink mix but zero on the Mai Tai. Guess that's what happens when you live in a Martini & Cosmo town.

The Northeast Tiki hunt continues...

View Profile of donhonyc Send a personal message to donhonyc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JerseyRED
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-01-19 8:54 pm   Permalink

Well, if it's any consolation, a Trader Joe’s is scheduled to open up in Union Square along with a liquor store next store. Two Buck Chuck comes to the East coast.
I haven’t seen anything about a date as to when, but if I do I’ll be sure to report back. And if any of “youse” find out please let me know what the liquor store has to offer.

Signing off from the other side of the Hudson, Rich

Will Sinclair

View Profile of JerseyRED Send a personal message to JerseyRED      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
velveteenlounge
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-20 12:38 pm   Permalink

JerseyRED, you've made my day! I'm also west of the Hudson and have been missing Trader Joe's desperately since moving from Westchester. I'm in the city all the time, so this is perfect!

View Profile of velveteenlounge Send a personal message to velveteenlounge  Goto the website of velveteenlounge     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-23 05:41 am   Permalink

Quote:

a Trader Joe’s is scheduled to open up in Union Square along with a liquor store next store.

Is it really? I think I heard something about that. Wow, this town gets more generic by the minute. Whole Foods supermarkets on Union Square and The Bowery...CBGB closing. We're going to need a new name for the city soon. Something like New York SUBURBIA instead of New York City. I'll wait and see what happens as far as availabiliyt of Trader Vic products at this new Trader Joe's. Every other Trader Joe's that I have visited in this area never have Trader Vic products.

JerseyRED
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-01-26 05:36 am   Permalink

I agree. The gentrification of NYC is why we lost all those great Tiki bars and palaces.
But I’m thinking the attached liquor store may be the silver lining to this cloud. Think of the rum possibilities.

Mr. & Mrs. T Mai-Tai mix? Yuck. Come on now my east-coast brother. Buy some Orgeat or almond syrup (Little Italy) and make some simple syrup or up the amount of Curacao.
And as far as Trader Vic products go, the only thing I get from them is the Passion Fruit Syrup, as they are the only one I know that makes this product. But ALL of the products have High Fructose Corn Syrup in them (Passion Fruit Syrup included). You can make your own grenadine with POM and sugar (or Splenda) and Orgeat can be found easily in “the City” made with real sugar (not HFCS) or even sugar-free.

Rich

Will Sinclair

View Profile of JerseyRED Send a personal message to JerseyRED      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-30 07:09 am   Permalink

Quote:

Mr. & Mrs. T Mai-Tai mix? Yuck. Come on now my east-coast brother. Buy some Orgeat or almond syrup (Little Italy) and make some simple syrup or up the amount of Curacao.
And as far as Trader Vic products go, the only thing I get from them is the Passion Fruit Syrup, as they are the only one I know that makes this product. But ALL of the products have High Fructose Corn Syrup in them (Passion Fruit Syrup included). You can make your own grenadine with POM and sugar (or Splenda) and Orgeat can be found easily in “the City” made with real sugar (not HFCS) or even sugar-free.

Trust me, I'm a purist, and I have made almost all of the Mai Tai recipes found in Grog Log, Intoxica, and Tiki Road Trip. I prefer to drink the authentic, original recipes. Not just once, but many, many times I found myself making these original drinks. I even had a stretch of time when I was making the Zombie from Grog Log that has the powdered sugar in it. But I'm as surprised as you are to find that Mr. & Mrs. T's Mai Tai is actually very good. I think I like it because it's easy, and also because no matter how carefully I mixed any of the Mai Tai recipes they never tasted like the Trader Vic or Mai Kai Mai Tais. THOSE are the best and unless you have the recipes, which I don't think anybody has, you just can't make those at home.

Finding Orgeat is easier said than done in this town. True, Little Italy is a possibility for finding it. There is also Porto Rico Imports on Bleecker St. in the West Village. SOMETIMES they have it. It's totally frustrating when you walk in there and find that they don't have it. They'll have every other variety of Torani syrups...like 25 of them, but they won't have Orgeat. It's easier to mail order it from Trader Vic.

Once again, New York City..supposedly the city where 'everything' is available is NOT tiki friendly and hasn't been for years ever since Trader Vic's, Hawaii Kai, and the Kona Tiki in the Americana hotel all closed in the 80s.

[ This Message was edited by: donhonyc 2006-01-30 08:22 ]

MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-12 08:16 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: MrBaliHai 2006-02-12 08:17 ]

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JerseyRED
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-03-03 6:00 pm   Permalink

It's almost here...

http://www.thefoodsection.com/foodsection/2006/03/late_bird_gets_.html

Will Sinclair

tikigap
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-04 12:10 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-01-30 07:09, donhonyc wrote:
THOSE are the best and unless you have the recipes, which I don't think anybody has, you just can't make those at home.

Hey DonHoNYC - Some people have the recipe! PM me and I might be able to hook you up. JerseyRED is on the right track.

[ This Message was edited by: tikigap 2006-03-04 00:10 ]

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-05 10:02 am   Permalink

I saw that there was a Trader Joe's opening up on the ground floor of the 'Palladium' NYU dorm building. While I'm interested in the prospect of them stocking Trader Vic products, it still ticks me off that the legendary Palladium nightclub, also formerly the Academy of Music theater which were originally in this spot are gone now only to make way for this lavish dorm for spoiled suburbanites coming to town to get their higher, extremely expensive education. This is New York City in the 21st century folks: everything you wanted to get away from in the suburbs is now here, and the rents continue to go up, up, UP.

I guess we'll see if this new TJ's stocks any TV products, specifically the drink mixes and not just the syrups. That will certainly take the edge off, but I'm not quite holding my breath yet. The few TJ's in this area that I have actually visited didn't carry any TV stuff. For now I can just picture a bunch of rich 20 something NYU students going down there to stock their dorm fridges with expensive cheeses and stuff. Stay tuned...

Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2006-03-05 10:30 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-03-05 10:02, donhonyc wrote:
While I'm interested in the prospect of them stocking Trader Vic products...

Hope for the best but plan for the worst.

Quote:

On 2006-03-05 10:02, donhonyc wrote:
The few TJ's in this area that I have actually visited didn't carry any TV stuff.

In general, the TJ's out here on the west coast do not carry Trader Vic's products either. Occasionally they may have the Trader Vic's dark rum but that's about it.

The Drunken Hat had good advice as far as mail order. Heed his words:

Quote:

On 2005-04-20 09:49, the drunken hat wrote:
...i live in cali and order from vics all the time. the trick is to order the bottles in threes. the first time i ordered from them i ordered 2 bottles and shipping was 9 bucks. the next time i ordered i got 6 bottles and the shipping was only 14 bucks. the boxes they use are made that way(3 or 6 per box)and since they are pretty big i guess that ups charges them by the size and not the weight.

so my suggestion would be to order the orgeat, passion fruit and grenadine from vics and make your own rock candy syrup( it is very easy). ...

GO NOW!
http://www.tradervicsfoodproducts.com/default.asp

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-05 11:09 am   Permalink

Thanks for the advice Hakalugi, but I have done the TV mail order several times. In fact I still have one or two full bottles of Rock Candy and Passion Fruit syrups. I was under the impression from reading some fo the posts here on TC that the TJs on the West coast stocked TV products on a regular basis. MAYBE they'll be daring since this IS New York and all that, and stock the TV stuff in the new store, but like I said..this is just going to be another outlet for rich indie hipsters and NYU students to get their mucho expensive/exotic grub. I know that sounds bitter and cynical, but 10-15-20 years ago I would have never imagined something like Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, or Kmart being in downtown Manhattan, but guess what? I mean there is a Whole Foods now literally around the corner from CBGB. I shudder to think what will take the place of CBGB when it vacates on October 31. Starbucks, J. Crew, American Aparrel? Could be.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation