FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Where to buy TV syrups in NY/NJ?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Where to buy TV syrups in NY/NJ?
susanr5
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-03-19 10:06 am   Permalink

Has anyone gotten in to see the liquor store at the new Trader Joe's on 14th St.? (NYC)I had passed by before they opened and the shelves were still bare, haven't had a chance to peek since.

BTW, I am today going to test the Mai Tai mix ordered from TV's versus the recipe in the Grog Log. Have never had either! Is it worth getting an old copy of TV's book to compare also? (Which edition of the book?)

It's a tough job, but I'll do it anyway!

View Profile of susanr5 Send a personal message to susanr5      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2006-03-19 12:17 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-03-19 10:06, susanr5 wrote:
BTW, I am today going to test the Mai Tai mix ordered from TV's versus the recipe in the Grog Log. Have never had either! Is it worth getting an old copy of TV's book to compare also? (Which edition of the book?)

When you compare the Grog Log recipe to the TV original, one difference is the amount of fresh lime juice that is called for.

I believe the original calls for the "juice of one lime". Typically this should equate to .75oz to 1oz of lime juice. The Grog Log calls for 1.5oz of lime juice. Way too much in my opinion.

My favorite Mai Tai recipe is another from Beachbum Berry and is found on his website. It is named the Hundred Dollar Mai Tai.
http://www.beachbumberry.com/100dollarmaitai/
It calls for very specific rums and Curacao in an attempt to recreate what Trader Vic originally concocted. Make one of these and you will not be disappointed.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
susanr5
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-03-19 12:37 pm   Permalink

Hmmm! Sounds good, right now I'm not getting through to the weblink, I hope I can get it today!
(It's saying document contains no data.)

View Profile of susanr5 Send a personal message to susanr5      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
susanr5
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-03-19 1:03 pm   Permalink

Ah, works in Safari, not Firefox. What a fun site! And I have nearly all the right ingredients already!

donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-20 9:58 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Has anyone gotten in to see the liquor store at the new Trader Joe's on 14th St.? (NYC)I had passed by before they opened and the shelves were still bare, haven't had a chance to peek since.

The liquor store or the "Trader Joe's Wine Shop" as they're calling it isn't slated to open until next month. I went by there tonight hoping to get in and see if they have any TV products but there was a huge line, and from all reports there have been huge lines since the place opened last week. I'll wait on lines for some things, but not to go into a grocery store.

Just think 10-15-20 years ago this place was the Palladium. People were waiting on line to see The Ramones and Fugazi. Now they're waiting on line for cheese. How times have changed, eh? And deep in the abyss of my cynism, I too will become a shopper there. It's been getting good reviews. Ah....whaddayagonnado?

View Profile of donhonyc Send a personal message to donhonyc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-21 6:41 pm   Permalink

Just got back from my first visit to the new Trader Joe's New York store. Not as packed and didn't have to wait on line to get in. The place looked like a store that was picked over before a hurricaine. Alot of the shelves were half or totally empty, and the store wasn't as big as I thought. Now the real reason for the vist: I asked one of the floor people if they had drink mixes, and he told me they didn't carry them. I asked if they would have them in the soon to open Wine Shop and he told me he didn't know and that he was 'in the dark' about what was going on with it. The only thing remotely relating to alcohol there in the main store was a small corner of beers for sale including Guiness and some other brands. So *maybe* I'm thinking, we'll see some Trader Vic products in the wine shop, but I'm not holding my breath. Places that deal exclusively with wine and not with booze in general don't offer those kinds of things. So for now, my search for Trader Vic products in the Northeast is gonna end here. Just gonna except that mail order is the only way to go.

View Profile of donhonyc Send a personal message to donhonyc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JerseyRED
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-03-22 7:33 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the info on the store. Keep the details coming!

The Palladium, the Bottom Line and next, CBGBs. I hope they carry the TV products just to make up for the loss.

PS: Come summer you can get a great (albeit expensive) Mai Tai and many other wonderful Tiki concoctions at the Flatiron Lounge on 18th. Go early to beat the "clubing" crowd.

Will Sinclair

View Profile of JerseyRED Send a personal message to JerseyRED      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-22 9:40 pm   Permalink

Thanks for reminding me about the Flatiron Lounge. I've been there a few times and the cocktails are top notch. Expensive though. I've spoken to the owner once or twice and she told me that they try to follow the original Mai Tai recipe.

On the club closing note, yet another mainstay, albeit not as-well-known rock club in the East Village will be closing this summer. Or as I've heard by other accounts, it will be converted to a lounge only. The place I am talking about is The Continental on 3rd Ave near St. Mark's. This place deserves almost as much credit as CBGB in the New York City rock and roll history books. Although CB's started American punk, The Continental was instrumental in keeping it alive and giving it another home in the 80s and 90s. It wasn't uncommon for people like Debbie Harry, Joey Ramone, or Iggy Pop to show up there unannounced and do a gig. In fact around 1997 I was lucky enough to be at the Continental for a gig by The Remains, The Ramones spin-off band fronted by Dee Dee and Marky Ramone, along with Dee Dee's wife and another guy named Ben Trokan on guitar. Joey showed up by surprise and got up on stage and did a few numbers, as well as downtown legend Wayne..um, Jayne County who also got up and did a few Ramones songs. With Joey, Dee Dee, and Marky onstage together it was (almost) The Ramones. Now with the closing of The Continental there will be NO MORE rock clubs in New York City. It is definitely the end of an era. Rock and roll as we knew it for the last 30 years or so in this town is unfortunately coming to an end.

To everything..turn, turn, turn.

JerseyRED
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-03-28 06:18 am   Permalink

Wow, The Continental too! I've seen my share of a few local bands there, no one famous. Well, excluding the one and only Robert Gordon!

Will Sinclair

View Profile of JerseyRED Send a personal message to JerseyRED      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-10 8:12 pm   Permalink

Kinda feel like I'm beating a dead horse here, but I breezed through the Trader Joe's Wine Shop on 14th St. which opened today, two or three weeks now after the main store. No revelations here,but I thought it was worth posting. In short NO Trader Vic or any other cocktail products. When they say this place is a Wine Shop, they're not kidding. 99% wine with some champagne, sake, port and nothing else. LAME!!!!!! BTW when I concluded my 60 second visit to the Wine Shop I went outside to see that there are still lines going out the door into the main Trader Joe's shop. Pardon me for being on the negative side here, but I really fail to see the big attraction of this place. On the first visit I made there, I was totally underwhelmed by it all. All I can say is Trader Joe's=HYPE. New York City will always be a great town, but when things like Trader Joe's get so much undeserved attention, I gotta just stand by and scratch my head. The place is so UN-New York. Maybe the Food Emporium will start stocking Mr. & Mrs. T's Mai Tai mix once the summer gets underway. That the best I can hope for.

[ This Message was edited by: donhonyc 2006-04-10 20:13 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation