FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Tiki Carving » » A-A… Some Stuff I'm Working On
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 Next Page )
A-A… Some Stuff I'm Working On
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-20 1:58 pm   Permalink

From the first time I saw Sam Gambino’s “Hypno-Tiki” I wanted to carve it. I checked with Sam, who being the nice guy that he is, said “no problem”.

This isn’t an exact replica. I’m finishing up a Leroy inspired series of carvings, and this is the last. That’s “Reloy on your left, Sam’s Hypno-Tiki on your right, and a strangely morphed “Hypno-Leroy” in the middle. I just felt like doing something fun this time.

Here it is with lines applied. The log is the familiar “Reloy” shape.

Using a pull saw for the mouth cuts lately.

After one lunchtime carving session in the park…

I only doing rough cuts with the chisels. Burrs will do the clean up.

Starting a full body Lono, barely got started…

More pix as carving progresses.

Cheers!

A-A

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

[ This Message was edited by: Aaron's Akua 2009-08-03 21:31 ]

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki5-0
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-20 2:00 pm   Permalink

looks like you're coming along nicely, AA!! can't wait to see them finished. i've been slacking lately on working on anything, but hopefully will get some time really soon to get back at it. anxious to see the progress!

View Profile of tiki5-0 Send a personal message to tiki5-0  Email tiki5-0 Goto the website of tiki5-0     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thanatos
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-20 2:05 pm   Permalink

Hey how did you get my big max chainsaw???
LOL
That tiki looks great so far....

View Profile of Thanatos Send a personal message to Thanatos  Email Thanatos     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-20 2:06 pm   Permalink

Looking good Aaron! Hey, I've been meaning to ask - what park do you carve at? Maybe I'll join you for lunch there sometime...

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Sperm Whale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-20 2:19 pm   Permalink

Thank for Posting Pic's AA. I am going to try doing some carving very soon. I just got some chisels, grinder, and a chainsaw for my birthday. I just need to find me a log. I really enjoy your work and I get alot out of the step by step photo's. Keep up the great work!!!
Later,
Scott

View Profile of The Sperm Whale Send a personal message to The Sperm Whale  Email The Sperm Whale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rob Roy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-20 2:38 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-04-20 14:19, The Sperm Whale wrote:
Thank for Posting Pic's AA. I am going to try doing some carving very soon. I just got some chisels, grinder, and a chainsaw for my birthday. I just need to find me a log. I really enjoy your work and I get alot out of the step by step photo's. Keep up the great work!!!
Later,
Scott

Your birthday sounds like my last year's christmas.

View Profile of Rob Roy Send a personal message to Rob Roy  Email Rob Roy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-20 2:47 pm   Permalink

The mouth cut on the Hypnotiki looks really clean. What kind of magic pull saw are you using? And hurry up with more progress pics.

View Profile of Raffertiki Send a personal message to Raffertiki  Email Raffertiki Goto the website of Raffertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-20 3:53 pm   Permalink

Mahalo Guys,

I've been working on a few other tikis based on the "Reloy" theme. Last varnish coats went on those yesterday, so pix will be up soon.

5-0: You know you want to carve something, let's see some work. You're too good, no slacking allowed!

Thanatos: I'm ashamed to admit that my son got his first chainsaw before I got mine. I love your lightning-fast tikis. We're all looking forward to great things from you.

PolyPop: Sounds great, I carve there just about every day. It's
Harvard Park in Irvine at the corner of Walnut and Harvard. We should plan a long lunch break sometime. It's right across the street from my work, but I usually have just enough time to wolf down lunch and get 30 or 40 minutes of carving in. Call me or PM & let's do it.

Spermy/Scott: Just jump in and post as you go. Everybody will help you along. I know you're local. We'll talk at Oasis. Maybe we can get a carving session going sometime with some of the other locals and we can all share carving tips (hint, hint... PolyPop???).

Raffertiki: Er, yeah. That was a set-up shot, of course! That was after lots of gouge work (see the large gouge in the other pic). I really like the control you get with the pull saw. I like to make a couple of cuts then just chip out in between with the chisel - it takes out lots of wood real quick and saves some time. Then I clean everything up with the gouges.

-Pablo Picasso

[ This Message was edited by: Aaron's Akua on 2005-04-20 15:57 ]

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-20 4:34 pm   Permalink

'Bout time AA, you been slackin again?? Those look really great. You got us hooked, now finish the things already!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-20 5:40 pm   Permalink

very cool aaron! I like your melding of Mr Sam GAmbino and leroy.

I too was impressed with your pullsaw ability - thanks for sharing the gouge secret.

I'd love to partake in your lunchtime carvings, but I'm a little far. bummer.

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sam Gambino
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-20 6:55 pm   Permalink

Hey A-A - that is looking great! My wife was commenting on how neat and precise the cuts are too. I can't wait to see the finished product. Please keep us posted!

www.samgambino.com

View Profile of Sam Gambino Send a personal message to Sam Gambino  Email Sam Gambino Goto the website of Sam Gambino     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-20 7:24 pm   Permalink

Man that looks good. Glad to see you posting pics of your works.

Cant wait to see them done, keep those progress shots coming. I always find them so useful.

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikimecula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-20 8:37 pm   Permalink

Aaron, How do you like your Flex-cut Chisels? Been thinling about picking some up. They seem to be a little cheaper that the Henry Taylor's I have been Buying.

View Profile of tikimecula Send a personal message to tikimecula  Email tikimecula Goto the website of tikimecula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-20 10:48 pm   Permalink

Benzart: Thanks, but... check my other post... Been busy, just haven't unveiled 'em till now! Hah! I'll post lots of progress pix on these ones though. The Lono's just a warm up for the BIG log.

Polynesiac: If I lived in Pedro, I'm sure we'd be hanging out carving all the time. Our wives would be so pissed!

Sam: Thanks for the kind words of encouragement. And I'll probably take you up on doing that exact replica of Hypno-Tiki later on. I'll try my best to do it justice!

Rodeo: Thanks! I find 'em useful too! That's where I pick up all my free advice.

Tikimecula: I've not tried the Henry Taylors, but the Flexcuts seem pretty nice. I don't think you'd go wrong, but can't really give you a good comparison. We could hook up sometime if you want to try them out first, no problem.

A-A

-Pablo Picasso

[ This Message was edited by: Aaron's Akua on 2005-04-20 22:57 ]

Gigantalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-20 11:07 pm   Permalink

Aaron, what splendid work.

You are an amazing bloke...to just be able to turn on and shut off in such a short while is hard.

I love the new tiki. Excellant work!

View Profile of Gigantalope Send a personal message to Gigantalope  Email Gigantalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation