FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Tiki on TV....
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
Tiki on TV....
VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-07 4:18 pm   Permalink

I had to rub my eyes during last night's episode of Venture Bros (Dr. Quymm, Medicine Woman):

Dr. Venture at a swinging "key party" - is he holding what I think he is?

Col. Gentleman shows up, and by jove, we have a tiki mug:

Best. Show. EVER! (and this was a top episode in my book)

Henrik "VanTiki"

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-07 6:25 pm   Permalink

The Venture Brothers generally has good background music and last night's episode (which took place mostly in a jungle) was backed with Exotica. (Original pieces, I think.) The Exotica fit so well with the jungle scenes that I almost didn't notice it. I am continually surprised by how well made and clever the show is. (I regularly play/loan the DVDs in an attempt to make new converts...The success rate is pretty high.)

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-07 7:12 pm   Permalink

I totally forgot to mention the great exotica jungle music! It was superb. I can only hope it will be included on the planned Venture Bros soundtrack album. Fingers crossed!

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MondoCurry

Posted: 2008-07-16 02:22 am   Permalink

I've long had a bit of a thing for exotica in general -- Tiki imagery, Martin Denny Records in the vinyl bins, etc...and have had a very big thing for the Venture Brothers!! So i definitely feel a connection between the two, and the past episode, Dr Quymn really brought that home.

Great music throughout, it is all done by JG Thirwell, man of many projects, and just about all of his releases under the names MANOREXIA and STEROID MAXIMUS, offer some great moody exotica-inspird listening, although his style is a bit too eclectic to stay on one thing for an entire album.

I also hope that, if we get a Venture Bros. soundtrack, there is some music from this episode on it.

BTW, i'm from new york, but am writing via Hawaii, where I find myself staying for about a month, and often do each year around July - August. I would love to get some kind of Venture Bros. fan meet up kind of thing going - to either watch or just talk about that show and whatever else with likeminded people. I even imagined a place like the Mariana Sailing Club (if it's still around? it's been a while since i visited that place, and i've heard it wasin jeopardy) being the perfect venue.

well, if there's any interest please give me a shout!

View Profile of MondoCurry Send a personal message to MondoCurry      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aku76
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-07-19 4:45 pm   Permalink

I was just channel surfing this afternoon and found a children's show on NBC called "3-2-1 Penguins". Today's episode was "Wiki Tiki" about a floating island in space that has an erupting volcano. All the inhabitants of the island are little tikis (they look like tiki pendants with feet and are wearing Hawaiian skirts)--the king looks different because he wears a maoi on his head--cool! The penguins have to save the inhabitants using their spaceship!

I ended up watching the last 20 minutes-it had impressive computer animated imagery and non-stop tikis!

View Profile of aku76 Send a personal message to aku76  Email aku76     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-21 08:15 am   Permalink

Orbit Gum commercial, featuring Janice Dickerson. At least two different tikis in the background.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyiV12WdJew&feature=related

View Profile of TikiMango Send a personal message to TikiMango  Email TikiMango     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sofa King
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-05 12:36 pm   Permalink

Oceanside Ca. is NOT down with tiki... IT AINT RIGHT!!!

I saw this report on San Diego's KUSI news last night.

Investigative reporter Turko standing up for the what is right, DEFENDING TIKI!

full story and video..
http://www.kusi.com/features/turko/26271914.html

Sofa King,

View Profile of Sofa King Send a personal message to Sofa King      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-05 1:00 pm   Permalink

See discussion of the above here:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=29318&forum=1&28

View Profile of TikiMango Send a personal message to TikiMango  Email TikiMango     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KuKu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-06 7:10 pm   Permalink

Also see this thread about King of the Hill where Bobby builds a tiki raft...
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=28347&forum=1&PHPSESSID=010563d9a93886e1eb0813cf4dc00ff3

View Profile of KuKu Send a personal message to KuKu  Email KuKu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CheekyGirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-06 10:05 pm   Permalink

I bought Season 1 of "How I Met Your Mother". I noticed on the wall of the bar they frequent, there was a VooDoo Rum sign.

View Profile of CheekyGirl Send a personal message to CheekyGirl  Email CheekyGirl Goto the website of CheekyGirl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johnnievelour
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-19 1:16 pm   Permalink

More Venture Brother's tiki. A lamp and tiki on the wall.

View Profile of johnnievelour Send a personal message to johnnievelour  Email johnnievelour Goto the website of johnnievelour     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
blindy the pirate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-20 09:35 am   Permalink

I swear I look for tikis in every episode of the Venture Brothers, but I don't know how I missed that one. The bed frames are of bamboo. With carpet like that, there had to be tiki somewhere.

View Profile of blindy the pirate Send a personal message to blindy the pirate  Email blindy the pirate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-20 09:51 am   Permalink

Also interesting...And mysterious... About this past Venture Brothers: The family was staying at a tropical/Tiki themed motel, but the motel sign had been pixelated so the name could not be read. It was a large 3 story sign seen above the motel from the courtyard. The shape looked like it may have been 3 shields or masks but the name was pixelated in both brief shots of the sign. As it was broadcast it just said ___________ MOTEL. Frame by frame viewing (of tape) revealed nothing telling.

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-20 11:59 am   Permalink

Odd that the motel name was pixelated for broadcast. I get my Venture fix via iTunes, and the "Tiki Taki" motel name was unaltered:

the room:

the bathroom:

and a carpet detail:

Go Team Venture!

Tikiton
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-08-20 1:53 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the stills.
It was driving my wife and I crazy trying to figure the pixelated sign out.
This has been a great season and I am kinda sad it will be ending soon. The pain will be eased a bit with the cool T-shirts that I got from the T-Shirt club. My very favorite is the Dr. Girlfriend.
The DVDs will be purchased the day they come out!
Yes I love the fact that two of my favorite things are combined, Venture Bros. and Tiki.

View Profile of Tikiton Send a personal message to Tikiton      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation