FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Tiki on TV....
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
Tiki on TV....
MNZombie
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-04-18 10:43 am   Permalink

The only thing that comes close to my love of all things tiki is my love of all things paranormal (UFOs, ghosts, Cryptids). So when the Syfy (formerly sci fi)channel's Destination Truth combines both, I'm in heaven. A few weeks back the show went to New Zealand to look for the Taniwha, a serpentine river creature that has long been a part of Maori legends. Besides looking for the creature the show gave some nice shots of Maori carvings and a small look at Maori beliefs. This epsisode is on the channels website.

But wait there's more coming from Destination Truth. On the season finale airing this week (on Wed. 4/21) the show is going to Easter Island to look for the ghosts of the island amongst the Moai! I can't wait.

View Profile of MNZombie Send a personal message to MNZombie  Email MNZombie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-22 09:08 am   Permalink

I watched Destination Truth last night - the Easter Island / New Zealand episode.

The Easter Island segment could have had a little more historical information shared with the audience to help with the context of the "haunting".

I was hoping the psychoactive effects of the herbal tea (which a local Rapa Nui prepared the tea for them)used in conjunction with a paranormal investigation would given a full resolve and not ignored as it was.

It does seem the Aku Aku energy in a remote cave did come to life, and my impression was the Aku Aku didn't appreciate the 'Truth investigative team invading their 'space'.

The New Zealand segment was a little less interesting in subject matter, but this segment provided the funniest moment I ever witnessed on this program...Josh Gates falling into a pit while chasing a mysterious beast thru the woods at night. Ouch.
I must have hit the rewind button a half-dozen times just to watch his facial expressions as he falls...hilarious!!

tiki since '67!

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tom
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-05-22 12:34 am   Permalink

Just watched part of a Funny or Die sketch on HBO where a group of drunk parrot heads make friends with an evil date-raping Jimmy Buffet t-shirt. The sketch might have been called "Another Day in Margaritaville." Several of the interior shots were done in the Tonga Hut, though! No mistake about it. The pecky cedar boards, the green booths, and even the anniversary banner visible in one shot...

It was just wrong on many levels...

Anybody else see this? I searched for a mention of it. I'm not sure if it just aired for the first time or not.

View Profile of Trader Tom Send a personal message to Trader Tom  Email Trader Tom Goto the website of Trader Tom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tom
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-05-27 01:20 am   Permalink

I just did a search and found out the episode of Funny or Die with the Tonga Hut is the very first episode.

http://www.funnyordie.com/promos/funnyordiepresents-episodes

The blurb for the sketch reads: "A T-shirt outparties a bunch of Parrotheads at a Margaritaville"

If I find a still, I'll try to post it.

[ This Message was edited by: Trader Tom 2010-05-27 01:21 ]

View Profile of Trader Tom Send a personal message to Trader Tom  Email Trader Tom Goto the website of Trader Tom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-31 1:30 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-12-24 22:15, JOHN-O wrote:
Remember Anne Francis as private detective "Honey West"? It was a B&W TV show that ran for one season in 1965. They just re-issued it on DVD. In the episode "A Neat Little Package", Honey goes undercover as a cigarette girl in a Tiki restaurant. I'm not sure if they used a set or if it was filmed at an actual business. The exterior shots show a bamboo-thatched Polynesian-style restaurant with the sign "Golden Lotus" (which might have just been stuck there). There is also a small artificial lagoon with tiki torches adjacent to what looks like the rear of the restaurant. Anyway there were a lot of tikis for the interior shots. One poor tiki gets a machete chop in the head.

Definitely looks like a set - check out the deep background in the wide room shots. Seems to be an apartment or office set redressed as a restaurant.

Screen grabs from this episode:

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-15 9:52 pm   Permalink

There is an episode of Bewitched from late in that series run titled "Samantha's Witchcraft Blows a Fuse", where the owner of a Chinese Restaurant, Ah Fung, has invented a new trademark Tiki Cocktail for his restaurant and serves it to Darwood & Samantha. The drink utilizes a rare ingredient, Himalayan Cinnamon, whichx has an ill effect on Samantha!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHg0SaQH-40

View Profile of CincyTikiCraig Send a personal message to CincyTikiCraig      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martian-tiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-06-15 10:09 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-05-31 13:30, tikibars wrote:
Quote:

On 2008-12-24 22:15, JOHN-O wrote:
Remember Anne Francis as private detective "Honey West"? It was a B&W TV show that ran for one season in 1965. They just re-issued it on DVD. In the episode "A Neat Little Package", Honey goes undercover as a cigarette girl in a Tiki restaurant. I'm not sure if they used a set or if it was filmed at an actual business. The exterior shots show a bamboo-thatched Polynesian-style restaurant with the sign "Golden Lotus" (which might have just been stuck there). There is also a small artificial lagoon with tiki torches adjacent to what looks like the rear of the restaurant. Anyway there were a lot of tikis for the interior shots. One poor tiki gets a machete chop in the head.

Definitely looks like a set - check out the deep background in the wide room shots. Seems to be an apartment or office set redressed as a restaurant.

Screen grabs from this episode:

WOW! As a forbidden planet fan this has been on my wish list a long time.
And by dumb luck I spotted another Honey West tiki!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2cZPho0TDM at 28 seconds in.

View Profile of martian-tiki Send a personal message to martian-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Magnus
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-06-16 12:35 am   Permalink

The next episode of SpongeBob Squarepants is called "Enchanted Tiki Dreams":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcpWlx5FSt0

View Profile of Trader Magnus Send a personal message to Trader Magnus  Goto the website of Trader Magnus ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-04 5:21 pm   Permalink

Bump.

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-04 5:45 pm   Permalink

New TV series Outsourced.

There is a movie with the same name. Anyone Seen a tiki in it?

View Profile of Mr. NoNaMe Send a personal message to Mr. NoNaMe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-09 5:18 pm   Permalink

Here's another addition to 70's sitcoms that go to Hawaii- Green Acres 1971 titled Hawaiian Honeymoon where the Oliver and Lisa go on a 5th honeymoon. Most I suspect was filmed on a soundstage but it still works. It's on Hulu now see it while you can.

Nice touches on the plane seats on the Hawaiian flight.

A haunting serenade in the lobby by rockin sounds of The Three Coconuts.

Arriving with a Tiki Room Sign in the background.

The front desk with tiki prop.

Breakfast in the Tiki Room with Pat Morita as the waiter.

View Profile of naugatiki Send a personal message to naugatiki  Email naugatiki Goto the website of naugatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErkNoLikeFire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-11 9:20 pm   Permalink

didn't have time to grab camera but I was watchinf Hollywood Treasure on Sci-Fi and they were at Joe Moe's apartment (if your a horror fan you know who he is) and next to his front door was a tiki haning on the wall. I'll try to grab a pic the next time it's on.

“The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass.” Martin Mull

"Rum is not drinking, it's surviving" Robert Shaw THE DEEP

View Profile of ErkNoLikeFire Send a personal message to ErkNoLikeFire  Email ErkNoLikeFire     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-02-04 9:23 pm   Permalink

George Carlin goes Tiki!

I just came across this in his biography, "7 Dirty Words" (by James Sullivan, Da Capo Press).

Obviously, it was not the highlight of George's career but it sounds very amusing. I can just imagine the look on his face.

This was around 1974 or '75. Has anyone seen this or know if copies exist anywhere?

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-29 5:58 pm   Permalink

Sticky. Make me stick.

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martian-tiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2011-05-03 8:08 pm   Permalink

This episode of "the Saint" has some voodoo / Tiki / maori carving art in a nightclub
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5M-8e2OSi4 (See at 6 minutes)

View Profile of martian-tiki Send a personal message to martian-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation