FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Marketplace How does this happen?
How does this happen?
Cool Manchu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-25 3:20 pm   Permalink

This happens on eBay from time to time and it amazes me.

I wish my auctions went this well...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3970759939&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

View Profile of Cool Manchu Send a personal message to Cool Manchu  Email Cool Manchu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-25 4:57 pm   Permalink

Newbies.

It's in "mint" condition yet..."Fine overall crazing enhances the ancient look of this mug."

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-25 5:43 pm   Permalink

I've got 6 of these I serve drinks in on a regular basis - if that's the going price on these mugs I'd better break out the generics and put these up for adoption!

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigkahuna627
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-04-25 5:53 pm   Permalink

Yes, that would be me.

I bought that mug on ebay less than 2 weeks ago for less than $10.00, shipping included. Figured it would go for either less than $25 or more than $50.

What really blows my mind is how sometimes 1 of my mini-hibachis will sell for more than 2 hibachis that are ending just minutes after the first. I have also seen where an item gets bid past the buy-it-now price I had set on an identical item.

Someday I am going to list a 1992 quarter, with a good picture and discription, I bet it would sell for more than 25 cents.

Is it wrong? The bidding started at $0.01.

View Profile of bigkahuna627 Send a personal message to bigkahuna627  Email bigkahuna627 Goto the website of bigkahuna627     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigkahuna627
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-04-25 6:14 pm   Permalink

I think mentioning that an item is pictured in BOT or Tiki Quest makes it sell for a much higher price than before the books.

View Profile of bigkahuna627 Send a personal message to bigkahuna627  Email bigkahuna627 Goto the website of bigkahuna627     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Moki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-25 6:45 pm   Permalink

Nothing wrong on your part.... you listed it without a reserve and started at a penny. You took a chance that someone could by it for less than you paid.

Congrats!! Hope when we put a few of our duplicates up for adoption, some of these newbies find us

View Profile of Moki Send a personal message to Moki  Email Moki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
badmojo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-25 6:47 pm   Permalink

Wow, an item listed as Vintage that is in fact Vintage!
This auction for one of those Big Lots mugs amazed me.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29460&item=3970469853&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

[ This Message was edited by: badmojo on 2005-04-25 18:58 ]

View Profile of badmojo Send a personal message to badmojo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-25 11:51 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-04-25 17:53, bigkahuna627 wrote:
Someday I am going to list a 1992 quarter, with a good picture and discription, I bet it would sell for more than 25 cents.

Thanks for the warning!

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
astrosurf
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-04-26 04:33 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-04-25 18:47, badmojo wrote:
Wow, an item listed as Vintage that is in fact Vintage!
This auction for one of those Big Lots mugs amazed me.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29460&item=3970469853&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

[ This Message was edited by: badmojo on 2005-04-25 18:58 ]

I would love to email the "winner" to tell him to check out Big Lots' selection of mugs...

[ This Message was edited by: astrosurf on 2005-04-26 04:39 ]

View Profile of astrosurf Send a personal message to astrosurf      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-26 06:13 am   Permalink

Wow! That is freaking crazy. The Big Lots thing. The other mug, I think you are right. Saying it's in Tiki Quest makes people assume it's valuable. Let's scam the newbies! We could all get rich off our junk mugs by conspiring to bid them up for each other and scam the newbies into bidding on the rare gems of Orchids mugs and OMC.

I am definitely going to try this "as seen on page X of Tiki Quest and Y of BOT" and see how it goes.

"Not 2 mugs stacked on top of each other" makes me want to sell the "original" Accoutrement mugs that they ripped off to make that ugly mutha of a Big Lots mug! Thos must be worht a fortune!

"Mai-Kai: History & Mystery of the Iconic Tiki Restaurant" the book

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-26 06:56 am   Permalink

The starting bid on the Big Lot's mug was only $6.99...$2 more than Big Lots. The person that bid $42.00 did that to themselves.

View Profile of Kenike Send a personal message to Kenike  Email Kenike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
roadkutter
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-04-26 12:43 pm   Permalink

Anyone else want to sell one of those mugs but NOT at the newbie price? I only have three months to buy as many mugs as I can before the purchases become diapers... and NO the diapers are not for me!

View Profile of roadkutter Send a personal message to roadkutter  Email roadkutter Goto the website of roadkutter     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-26 1:09 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-04-26 12:43, roadkutter wrote:
I only have three months to buy as many mugs as I can before the purchases become diapers... and NO the diapers are not for me!

ha, I like the way you think!

I only have three months until my husband comes home, and is at the receiving end of anything coming by way of mail!

BTW, wanna meet up at Funhauser next month? I'm making a trip over with friends and want to to stock up.(gulp & new pocket kahuna)

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
roadkutter
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-04-26 1:35 pm   Permalink

Hay Tikiwahine, I might be able to make it to Funhouser, I haven't visited since I picked up my Gulp.

Did you see the final for the Hawaiian Village mug?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3971097887&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

I got the second one in my collection for 2 bucks! Let me know when your hitting the mainland.

View Profile of roadkutter Send a personal message to roadkutter  Email roadkutter Goto the website of roadkutter     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation