[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Bilge Censoring Hollywood
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Censoring Hollywood
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-27 05:56 am   Permalink

Is anyone else sickened by the movement to create censored versions of DVDs?

just askin'...

read more here

-Z

View Profile of Feelin' Zombified Send a personal message to Feelin' Zombified  Email Feelin' Zombified     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seamus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-27 08:30 am   Permalink

hasn't WalMart been selling edited versions of movies for quite awhile now? or is that just an urban legend?

TikisbySeamus.com

View Profile of seamus Send a personal message to seamus  Email seamus Goto the website of seamus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-27 08:37 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-04-27 08:30, seamus wrote:
hasn't WalMart been selling edited versions of movies for quite awhile now? or is that just an urban legend?

I don't know about movies, but they've been doing it for years with CDs. There were CDs that I owned before I met my wife, and coincidentaly she had some simmilar ones she bought at Walmart. The Walmart ones clearly had shorter set lists. Entire songs were just left off.

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-27 08:44 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-04-27 08:30, seamus wrote:

To my knowledge, walmart is selling edited movies that were re-cut by the studio... much like Blockbuster. What's happening now is self-righteous mom & pop companies violating copyrights by doing the editing themselves and selling them. Some companies edit out sex & gore, others go further by taking out references to gays or things that would ruin their sheltered little world.

-Z

View Profile of Feelin' Zombified Send a personal message to Feelin' Zombified  Email Feelin' Zombified     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-27 09:06 am   Permalink

yes this sickens me too--on several fronts. First that the super richtwing evangelicle conservatives are feeling their oats by trying to chip away at our freedoms that they don't consider virtuous.

The second problem is that people not associated with the production are editing another person's work. TO me it is like putting clothes on Michael Angelo's David (altough I'm sure there are some conservs out there who really want to do that). Granted, most movies are not what I would call "works of art" but they are and product of someone's vision.

The third, and most important thing that bugs me is that shouldn't the parents be keeping their children from watching "adult" subject matter and not the state or corporations? What ever happened to good old fashioned parenting? Have parents become so disenfranchised in their own families that they leave descretion to companies and the gonernement?

It bugs me

View Profile of Digitiki Send a personal message to Digitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-27 09:52 am   Permalink

Wal Mart on Best Buy sell more CDs than all other record stores combined.

Fact.

They have a LOT of pull with the big labels.

Most major label artists these days who have material on their recordings that may be seen as objectionable are required in their contracts to spend some studio time assembling 'clean' versions of their records for sale at Wal Mart and Best Buy.

This practice is scary and loathsome for all the reasons stated in above posts, but at least the artist, in many cases, is given the latitude to make the cuts themselves - whether this means obscuring objectionable words with sound effects, or cutting a section out of a song entirely, or leaving the whole song off of the CD.

Now, if the objectionable song is the 'hit', their options are more limited - they have to include it, so they must alter it. Filler songs may be lost altogether, however.

Artist, producer, and record label will make these choices together... if the artist is lucky.

Now, movies... yup, it's happening there too.

Freakin miserable.

See www.tydirium.net for Tiki Road Trip, global travelogues, and more!

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrs. pineapple
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-27 10:02 am   Permalink

Whatever happened to Parents saying "NO, you are 10 years old and you don't NEED to see an R rated movie??"

The group of people who are responsible for this getting patent protection are the same ones who preach about personal responsibility and small government, this seems a little counter intuitive.

View Profile of mrs. pineapple Send a personal message to mrs. pineapple      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-27 12:54 pm   Permalink

Waaaaah!!! The real world is ugly, won't someone edit out all the unpleasantness?

Waaaahhhh!!! I can't figure outhow to operate the on/off switch! Why can't Government make the television manufacturers spend extra money to install Vchips? I don't care if it makes T.V.s more expensive for everyone.

Waaahhhh. I don't have cable, but I don't want other people to watch things that I don't pay for, but I find offensive. (this by the way is the modern version of Mencken's definition of Puritanism; "Puritanism is the haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy.")

Waaaaah!!! I don't want to read books by gay authors, so instead of not reading them, I'm going to pass a law forbiding public libraries to stock such books. ( Think it can't happen? Just look to Talabama. They author of the bill even wanted to ban Shakespeare. )

Wahhhh!?! Who is this Orwell you speak of? Was he a communist?

Sickening. Absolutely sickening.

When will they uncover the statue of justice? Since they covered her up becuase of her "offending" bare breast, things have been getting weird.

View Profile of TikiGardener Send a personal message to TikiGardener  Goto the website of TikiGardener     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
joefla70
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-27 2:42 pm   Permalink

Yes, this sickens me as well. Only the artist/writer etc. should be allowed to do that.

having said that, I've felt for a long time that movie producers should release different versions of the same movies in the theatre for different audiences. For example, I am a big Star Wars fan. However, I hate when Lucas puts characters like Ewoks or Jar Jar Binks in his movies so that he can 1) appeal to kids and 2) sell merchandise. I think that they should produce different cuts of movies like that... one for kids (like the ones released), and a more darker, graphic and less sanitized version for adults. I think this would actually make the studios more money because there would be people who would see the movie more than once (both versions) to see how they were different.

View Profile of joefla70 Send a personal message to joefla70  Email joefla70     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-27 3:10 pm   Permalink

You didn't like the Ewoks?
What if they were bare-breasted, malevolent Ewoks?

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrs. pineapple
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-27 4:20 pm   Permalink

They already do cut versions for TV & airplanes. It's just bizarre to me that someone would think it's appropriate to edit, say, 'Rosemary's Baby' of all the violence, so a 12 year could watch it? I mean, why not just tell your kid, that movie is NOT appropriate for you to watch, forget it. Then they can do what we did as kids, sneak watching it at a friends house, and suffer through the nightmares for 3 weeks!

A few years ago we took my nephews to see Jaws at the Paramount in Oakland, Jaws is one of my all time favorite movies, but it's kind of scary, and we told my nephew, who was 10 at the time, if he got scared, we'd leave. Towards the end after Quint got chomped, he wanted to go, so I took him to the lobby and we hung out until the movie ended. (I saw Jaws at the Drive In in Cape May when I was 9, and I didn't go into the water for a year!) What's the point of seeing a 'Jaws' if you edit out all the shark attacks? Why can't parents just pay attention?

If a movie has gratuitous violence and language, maybe you should reconsider letting your 12 year old watch it on another set of principles? I really think this is a case of 'controlling Hollywood'

The ironic part is the amount of sex and violence on TV every day, unflitered! And who is behind this, making assloads of money! (FOX, GE, Viacom)
Anyway - yes, this pisses me of!

View Profile of mrs. pineapple Send a personal message to mrs. pineapple      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-27 4:41 pm   Permalink

Last Saturday I watched Lord of the Rings, Return of the King with two of my cousin's kids, 4 & 8. They both loved it!(it was the older one's first choice from my collection) The scariest part was the kissing to the 8 year old. He had to leave the room.

I know my brothers let me watch very scary movies when I was little, I'd seen all the classic horrors by the time I was about 7. I get wayyy more scared now than I did at that age. I can remember our parents not letting us watch "Summer Rental" with John Candy. It had bare breasts in it. They actually screened a rental. We watched it anyway.

Movies shouldn't be altered for the renting public. That's a load of baloney.

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ikitnrev
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-04-27 5:05 pm   Permalink

The mom-and-pop companies don't bother me too much, as long as it is kept on a small scale and the films are watched in a private setting. I'm concerned though that the audience for such films could become larger and more powerful, and the presence of such altered films more acceptable, and it could reach a point where local communities could then force various stores to sell only the altered films - just like K-Mart does on a national scale with music.

Several science museums around the country are already refusing to show an IMAX film on volcanos, because the film mentions 'evolution,' and that upsets a certain portion of their audience, and the museums wish to avoid controversey and protests.
http://www.space.com/searchforlife/seti_censorship_050331.html
If they don't like volcanos, they probably won't like tikis either!

We may need to form a counter-attack soon. If they are allowed to go against the director's intent by removing what they feel is objectionable, then we should be allowed to similarly alter their own films. We could take the various G-rated films, and then add in various scenes that do include extra sex, violence, or perhaps only altered dialogue, to 'enhance' the subject matter of the film - not necessarily to the X level, but perhaps only to a PG-13 rating. If they can alter, then we should be able to alter too.

Vern

View Profile of ikitnrev Send a personal message to ikitnrev  Email ikitnrev     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DawnTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-27 6:24 pm   Permalink

Proceed with caution, not sure if this rant makes any sense...

Watching television the other day there was a show on that had an image of a drawing of a nude woman, the show had blackened out her nipples to protect me, the viewer from the illicit horrors of a...a...a nipple.
It struck me as odd when my husband changed the channel and stopped on one of the many CSI shows you can see at any given moment on TV. There was this gruesome plastic dead person that had every horrible thing done to it described in agonizing detail, with their plastic bloody organs thrown about the room.
Huh? Whaa?
Nothing was edited for my safety?
No one was thinking for me? Yea Riiight!
If I'm not mistaken everything is edited. Everyyyything! The Bible, newspapers, yes, even our Tiki Central. It's hopeless.
I will even edit this post several times.
It doesn't matter, we will screw our kids up regardless, if they watch the nightly news, Friday the 13th or Mary Poppins, thats the way it goes.
Personally, I'm saving Old Yeller to show my son for when he does something really bad. Muuahahah!
Everyone is some kinda crazy.
We all end up with some hang up, phobia or disorder.
Your life suck?
Lucky for you, you can blame it on someone or something else.
The media, the government, our parents, our religion, the other guys religion, heck we can even blame nature.
People, just turn the TV off, get your ass outside touch the sky, talk to a bum, kick a rock, play with your kid.
Thats my kinda crazy.
Oh! And don't EVER shop at Wal-Mart!

[ This Message was edited by: DawnTiki on 2005-04-27 20:22 ]

View Profile of DawnTiki Send a personal message to DawnTiki  Email DawnTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Shipwreckjoey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-27 6:33 pm   Permalink

I tuned into "BLEEP" thinking it was going to be a documentary about the Hayes commission and censorship back in the early days of motion pictures and television. After five minutes of viewing I began to get this uncomfortable feeling of fear, nausea and abandonment (like you get when you're sitting in court waiting for your case to be called). I immediately caught myself and changed the channel to something more spiritually uplifting (I think it was the Surreal Life). I thought back on a John Water's movie I saw on late night cable last weekend and chuckled to myself..."I wonder what Cecil B. Demented would say about these guys hackin' up his movies?"

View Profile of Shipwreckjoey Send a personal message to Shipwreckjoey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation