FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Events » » California Events » » Anyone for Geocaching during Oasis?
Anyone for Geocaching during Oasis?
Doctor Z
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-27 10:01 pm   Permalink

This might be total "activity overkill", but I know that there will be a few Geocachers in attendance at Oasis this year (myself, DolphinTiki, TikiBird, UtopianDreem, DawnTiki, Humuhumu, Mig - anyone else?) and that some of 'em went out 'caching' at this time last year. Anybody think they might be up for it, say Friday or Saturday during the day? Yeah, I know - I don't even know if I'll be up for it, but I'll bring my GPS and print out some caches anyhow, just in case...
Ask for it by name!

View Profile of Doctor Z Send a personal message to Doctor Z  Email Doctor Z     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-27 10:06 pm   Permalink

Isnt TraderPup a Cacher?

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Shipwreckjoey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-27 10:43 pm   Permalink

Only if it ain't too hard. Hard work never killed nobody, but I'm not takin' no chances.

View Profile of Shipwreckjoey Send a personal message to Shipwreckjoey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-27 10:49 pm   Permalink

I've already hit a lot of the caches in PS, but I had a *fantastic* time geocaching with Mig last year -- there are some real doozies in PS! I wholly encourage anyone who has a GPS (or knows someone who does) to strike out in Palm Springs.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DawnTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-27 10:54 pm   Permalink

Don't play with me Z! Tiki Oasis and Geocaching? All together in one weekend? Put me down for some. I'll bring the old GPS too (just in case). ShipwreckJoey, if I can do it anyone can...REALLY!

View Profile of DawnTiki Send a personal message to DawnTiki  Email DawnTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SugarCaddyDaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-28 10:02 am   Permalink

Hey, this is very cool! I didn't know that this game/hobby existed (until about 10 minutes ago when I read up on it!)

At first I didn't know what the hec you guys were talking about. Now I've got to do it! Don't be surprised to find Tiki Mugs very soon!

http://www.geocaching.com/

http://www.geocaching.com/faq/

[ This Message was edited by: SugarCaddyDaddy on 2005-04-28 10:03 ]

View Profile of SugarCaddyDaddy Send a personal message to SugarCaddyDaddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
UtopianDreem
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2005-04-28 10:09 am   Permalink

Count T-Bird & me in! Any excuse to geocache works for me!

View Profile of UtopianDreem Send a personal message to UtopianDreem  Email UtopianDreem     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traderpup
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-28 10:30 am   Permalink

I'll see if I can dig up my antique, out of date GPS.... packed away for moving now

View Profile of Traderpup Send a personal message to Traderpup  Email Traderpup Goto the website of Traderpup     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrs. pineapple
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-28 1:41 pm   Permalink

Remember the old days, when you went to the Oasis with a trunk full of rum and pineapple juice, and you sat around the pool and drank all day, waiting for the slide show or bands to start? Occasionally you propped yourself up, squinted through your rum induced fog, and said 'WHAT the hell is King Kuke up to? that Crazy Al sure is crazy!' or wandered over to the Lanai and saw the lovely mugs that Munktiki had brought, and drooled over Bamboo Ben's latest endeavor? On your way back to the pool, pop in to see AlnShelly in 135, then back to the pool, bonk the little Bax-Dog kids with a beach ball, and reclaim your float?

You guys are way too active, I'll be floating on my raft, belly up!

View Profile of mrs. pineapple Send a personal message to mrs. pineapple      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrs. pineapple
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-28 3:23 pm   Permalink

oh yeah, I'll wear a tracking device, so youse can find me
xoxox
mrs. pineapple

[ This Message was edited by: mrs. pineapple on 2005-04-28 21:18 ]

View Profile of mrs. pineapple Send a personal message to mrs. pineapple      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mig
Official Man-About-Town  

Posted: 2005-04-28 7:17 pm   Permalink

This little hobby is a HOOT... Humu and I hit some really fun ones around there. We dropped a travel bug at the cache at the top of the Palm Springs tram.

It looks like there's been a huge proliferation of caches in/around Palm Springs since last Oasis. Should be enough to keep everyone thoroughly busy... I bet it would be easy to plot out a walking tour that hit several.

Particularly fun ones in/around Palm Springs:
--DO THE ONE at Cabazon. Very clever camo job.
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=93780ee7-90cb-4186-aefa-d0c4fb6fd86d

--"Hunka Hunka Burnin' Cache" is fun, and is near the Elvis Honeymoon house.
--the Liberace house cache is quite close to Hunka Hunka.
--"PS Tram" is a fun one (it's at the top of the tram)
--The one I haven't found yet, but that I REALLY want to, is this one. It's 5 or 10 miles away, but check it out, it's one to remember!
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=6dc33de4-d8c0-46c0-b485-ce28922dbaf0

-mig

[ This Message was edited by: mig on 2005-04-28 19:25 ]

View Profile of mig Send a personal message to mig  Email mig Goto the website of mig     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mig
Official Man-About-Town  

Posted: 2005-04-28 7:24 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-04-28 10:02, SugarCaddyDaddy wrote:

Don't be surprised to find Tiki Mugs very soon!

This is a GREAT idea. I've had the thought for a while that it would be a really cool idea to do tiki-themed caches... i.e., caches at tiki locations. The cache descriptions could give a bit of history. (This is somewhat of the point of geocaching anyway... it's supposed to show places of some sort of interest.)

A couple variations that might be neat:

-placing a mug as a reward for FTF (which is parlance for "first to find")
-making a mega-tiki-cache, where you need to get a clue at each of the X number of other tiki caches in order to put everything together and get the final coordinates.

I just always have too many things going on to fully follow through with something like this. But I totally think that a "TikiCentral Cache" is overdue.

-mig

View Profile of mig Send a personal message to mig  Email mig Goto the website of mig     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hanalei_Pirate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-01 2:43 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-04-28 10:02, SugarCaddyDaddy wrote:
At first I didn't know what the hec you guys were talking about. Now I've got to do it! Don't be surprised to find Tiki Mugs very soon! http://www.geocaching.com/
http://www.geocaching.com/faq/

[ This Message was edited by: SugarCaddyDaddy on 2005-04-28 10:03 ]

Wish this GPS contraption existed back when I hid me buried treasure.... I been searching fer it a couple centuries now... left it somwhere on Madegascar but a typhoon erased me primitive sign markers.

View Profile of Hanalei_Pirate Send a personal message to Hanalei_Pirate  Goto the website of Hanalei_Pirate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation