FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Is there an alternative to lime juice?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Is there an alternative to lime juice?
nuKKe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-28 11:51 am   Permalink

Yes, I know that the answer is 'no', but what if limes are unavailable most of the year and even during the season few stores carry them?

kick_the_reverb has advised us to mix half part preserved lime juice with half part fresh lemon juice and it's ok.
However, today we found at the store Rose's Lime Juice Cordial, which has, according to the label, 35% lime juice from concentrate. Can this be used as an alternative for fresh juice? If it does, should we mix it with lemon juice or use as is?

Thanks

Gal and Keren

View Profile of nuKKe Send a personal message to nuKKe  Email nuKKe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tonnikan Jinn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-28 12:11 pm   Permalink

I live on the coast in Ca., so limes are usually available but still expensive. Right now I can buy them for $0.33 a piece at the regular grocery, or I can buy a bag of 25 to 30 for about $4 at Costco.

What I like to do is buy a few bags at Costco, juice them all and freeze them in empty water bottles. This way I have enough to last until next year when they are "in season" again.

I haven't noticed much of a decrease in quality after defrosting, but the worst part is not having a wedge of lime in your drink. That, I can live with.

-T.J.

View Profile of Tonnikan Jinn Send a personal message to Tonnikan Jinn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-28 4:03 pm   Permalink

NuKKe - they don't have bottled lime juice in Israel? I know the stuff is no where near as good as fresh lime juice but some is better than none at all! I'd even be willing to send you a couple bottles if you're having Mai Tai withdraw!

Or maybe you could mail order the stuff directly from the company...

http://www.realemon.net/

It wouldn't hurt to ask...

Aloha from the enchanted Pi Yi Grotto in exotic Bel Air Maryland!

[ This Message was edited by: johntiki on 2005-04-28 16:06 ]

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
captnkirk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-28 6:42 pm   Permalink

If the recipie call for sugar and lime juice as many do. I would use a little bit of Minutemaid Limeaid concentrate. It is in the freezer section near the orange juice concentrate.

I once had a margarita mixed with this stuff and I was pleasantly suprized. I tastes just like fresh squeezed lime juice.

[ This Message was edited by: captnkirk on 2005-04-28 18:43 ]

View Profile of captnkirk Send a personal message to captnkirk  Goto the website of captnkirk     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-28 8:02 pm   Permalink

The alternative, and the actually the better substitute for lime juice (from the bottle) is to squeeze a real lime. I prefer it that way. Rose's lime juice sucks.

View Profile of donhonyc Send a personal message to donhonyc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PapeToaTane
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-28 10:23 pm   Permalink

Don't quote me, I am not a mixologist in the realm of these guys, but I'm pretty sure I saw a large white can of "Lime Juice from Concentrate" behind the bar at Tiki Ti - and when Mike, Jr. got busy and his mix-jug was empty, he poured from the big can directly into the blender for my Mai Tai a few months back. It was my first Mai Tai o' the night, so - I don't think I imagined it. Probably similar to the Minute Maid stuff, maybe with less sugar.

View Profile of PapeToaTane Send a personal message to PapeToaTane  Email PapeToaTane Goto the website of PapeToaTane     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kick_the_reverb
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-28 10:48 pm   Permalink

The suggestion about freezing a whole bunch of it(maybe in an ice cube tray) when it's the season sounds like the best plan.
To clear one thing up, my bro and sis-in-law (nuKKe) know that fresh squeezed lime is best. But for some odd reason, back in "the old country" you can get limes for about 6 weeks of the year and that's it. Lemons you can get year round. From my experiments with the lime juice in a bottle that's available there, it doesn't taste like fresh lime juice at all, this is why I suggested they add some fresh citrus zing with the lemon juice.

Happy mixing,
Ran

View Profile of kick_the_reverb Send a personal message to kick_the_reverb  Email kick_the_reverb Goto the website of kick_the_reverb     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WillTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-04-29 08:07 am   Permalink

There is a brand of bottled "key" lime juice called Nellie and Joes (they also make a bottled lemon juice). Web site below:

http://www.keylimejuice.com/index.htm

It is much better than the RealLemon type reconstituted stuff. In the metro DC Baltimore area I buy it at Giand Food and Trader Joe's.

Another alternative to fresh I use is home frozen. I buy a whole bag of limes or lemons when they are at their peak and cheapest. I squeeze the juice from them into a mixing bowl and filter out all the seeds, solids etc. Then, I measure out teaspoons into the compartments of ice cube trays. (Keep the remainder in the fridge to chill between freezer batches) I have several trays that make ice cubes the shape and size of a gumdrop that are almost exactly a teaspoon. Of course, any plastic, compartmentalized ice cube tray would work. When they are fully frozen, I unmold them into a ziploc freezer bag. Now, when I want to make a drink requiring juice, I can just pop loose a few from the bag and thaw them for a few seconds in the microwave. It beats bottled or fresh squeezed from too old limes any day.

View Profile of WillTiki Send a personal message to WillTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nuKKe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-29 11:44 am   Permalink

thank you all for the replies. Unfortunately, I have never seen neither frozen concentrate nor bottled lime juice here, save for the Rose's stuff. However, the self-squeezing/freezing is a great suggestion; according the the Board of Citrus Farmers, the lime season starts in July, which is not THAT far ahead. Meanwhile we'll continue to use the fresh lemon/preserved lime mix and try to return the Rose bottle to the store and replace it with another ingredient.

Johntiki - thanks for the generous offer, but you'd want to save your postage money for lots and lots of other things ;)

~Keren

View Profile of nuKKe Send a personal message to nuKKe  Email nuKKe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-29 11:58 am   Permalink

I use Nellies Key Lime exclusively. If you can get that, you'd do well. Maybe someone can get some to you in another shipment sometime.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kick_the_reverb
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-29 1:25 pm   Permalink

Ya know what Swanky,that's a good suggestion, maybe their California relative should look for the bottled lime juice and bring some when he visits them.

Ran

View Profile of kick_the_reverb Send a personal message to kick_the_reverb  Email kick_the_reverb Goto the website of kick_the_reverb     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PapeToaTane
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-29 1:46 pm   Permalink

T.C. is better than any encyclopedia ever written!! Gosh, the stuff I learn here!! THANKS for the Nellie's tip!!

View Profile of PapeToaTane Send a personal message to PapeToaTane  Email PapeToaTane Goto the website of PapeToaTane     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JaredB
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-04-29 1:52 pm   Permalink

question on using Nellie's key lime juice:
If the recipe calls for an ounce of lime juice, do you use and oz. or cut back a little (to 1/2 or 3/4)
I'm asking because I though key limes where different in character (more tart) than regular limes.

View Profile of JaredB Send a personal message to JaredB      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KuKuAhu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-29 3:05 pm   Permalink

They are. I use Nellies as my "back-up" supply so that I can always mix a drink on demand, but it is no sustitute for fresh lime juice in my opinion when the alternative is available.

That said, like Swanky I recommend it. It's handy. But I find Key limes to be a little bitter, more tart, and ever so slightly piney tasting. Buy some and some regular limes and side by side you'll see (or taste rather) just what I mean.

The biggest downside to all of these techniques? No oils from the shell. That is a major loss in the areas of both aroma and flavor, and aroma is like 20% of a good drink if you ask me.

Ahu

View Profile of KuKuAhu Send a personal message to KuKuAhu  Email KuKuAhu Goto the website of KuKuAhu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-29 11:15 pm   Permalink

Why don't you have a grow at growing your own? The climate shoul be Ok.

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation