FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Is there an alternative to lime juice?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Is there an alternative to lime juice?
nuKKe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-30 03:44 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-04-29 23:15, Kon-Hemsby wrote:
Why don't you have a grow at growing your own? The climate shoul be Ok.

I would, had I not lived in a flat. My parents grow a lemon tree and supply us with juicy, big ones during the winter, but they don't have a room for an extra tree in the backyard.
Two months and one day til the beginning of the lime season - yay!
Three months til we get bottles from the California relatives - a bigger yay!!!

-and again, thanks for the information and help; it is much appreciated.

~Keren

View Profile of nuKKe Send a personal message to nuKKe  Email nuKKe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrtikibar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-30 6:03 pm   Permalink

I had seen Santa Cruz organic lemon juice around (Safeway )but not until today did I find, in a health food store, Santa Cruz organic lime juice. I haven't tried it yet but
I'm guessing it will be fine if there are no fresh limes or a bottle of Nellie's around.

View Profile of mrtikibar Send a personal message to mrtikibar  Email mrtikibar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-30 7:33 pm   Permalink

Regarding Nellie and Joe's vs fresh squeezed lime juice: I think it was Sabu that determined through selfless experimentation that in a Mai Tai one should use about 2/3 of the amount of key lime juice as you would use lime juice. I use that as a general rule of thumb.

I realize that Nellie and Joe's doesn't taste like fresh (Persian?) lime juice but I have squeezed fresh key limes a few times and I think that the N&J's is extremely close in taste to fresh key limes. Close enough that I don't buy key limes anymore. Those buggers are little and a pain in the ass to squeeze. I've purchased another brand of bottled key lime juice (Florida Key West) but it sucks. Stick to Nellie and Joe's, it's great stuff.

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dr. Shocker
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-01 5:12 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-04-30 18:03, mrtikibar wrote:
I had seen Santa Cruz organic lemon juice around (Safeway )but not until today did I find, in a health food store, Santa Cruz organic lime juice.

Wandering through BevMo yesterday getting Stock for TO I thought I saw somthing liuke this as well......

View Profile of Dr. Shocker Send a personal message to Dr. Shocker  Goto the website of Dr. Shocker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CheekyGirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-01 6:16 pm   Permalink

That RealLemon and RealLime concentrate stuff in the bottle. Has anyone used that instead of real lime or lemon juice? I bought a small bottle, but haven't experimented yet. I was wondering if anyone has gone throught the headache yet. And if, so, how did you dilute it, etc.

Just bought a new house, and in the back yard there was 2 orange trees, and another tree that looked like a lemon tree, to my surprise it ended up being a lime! I'm so excited about this!

View Profile of CheekyGirl Send a personal message to CheekyGirl  Email CheekyGirl Goto the website of CheekyGirl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Quince_at_Dannys
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-02 06:36 am   Permalink

I'm surprised limes are so hard to come by in Israel, given the climate. I'm also surprised at all the people from the US posting here who have a hard time getting limes during part of the year. I live in Minneapolis, MN and can get them 12 months out of the year--the quality is generally good and I pay $0.25 to $0.60 apiece depending on the season. Is it because of limes being grown locally and they don't ship them in the rest of the year? (Whereas they are always shipped in where I live)

[ This Message was edited by: Quince_at_Dannys on 2005-05-02 06:46 ]

View Profile of Quince_at_Dannys Send a personal message to Quince_at_Dannys      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CheekyGirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-02 8:43 pm   Permalink

Quince, for the most part you can get limes and lemons year round, speaking only for myself, I have a tendancy to buy them and they, for the most part, go to waste, so an alternative lemon/lime juice that can stay preserved would be ideal.

View Profile of CheekyGirl Send a personal message to CheekyGirl  Email CheekyGirl Goto the website of CheekyGirl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jawa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-06 11:28 am   Permalink

btw, ny wife uses Nellie and Joe's to make key lime pie...excellent stuff!!!

Personally, I use a combination of Real Lemon and Lime, real lemons and limes, and Nellie and Joe's.

You know, visiting this forum during work is just not good...now all I want to do is go home and drink

View Profile of Jawa Send a personal message to Jawa  Email Jawa Goto the website of Jawa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-07 11:29 am   Permalink

Quote:

[i] Rose's lime juice sucks.

Surely Rose's is a cordial and as such, does it's job rather well. I wouldn't use anything else in my gimlet.

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kukoae
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-05-08 04:30 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-04-28 11:51, nuKKe wrote:
Yes, I know that the answer is 'no', but what if limes are unavailable most of the year and even during the season few stores carry them?

You have a few options, which seem to be improving with time. Try to source "Key Lime Juice" produced with as minimal processing and chemicals as you can find. I see this in supermarkets occasionally, usually in the baking section. You'll probably need to correct its sweet/sour profile with SuperFine sugar, but it tastes pretty good.

Alternatively, I've recently discovered the line of "Nantucket" drink mixers, which from the ingredient list, looks very nice. I've used their "Mojito" mix, which features fresh lime juice, cane sugar, and mint oil - to good effect in my Mai Tais. [this could take care of both your fresh lime and fresh mint ingredients].

I can't imagine fresh limes never being available, but I realise living in California distorts my impressions of the rest of the world.

Good luck.

=Kukoae=

View Profile of Kukoae Send a personal message to Kukoae      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nuKKe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-08 3:13 pm   Permalink

Limes found!
Unfortunately.
Small, overpriced and not juicy at all.
Two more months til July, and meanwhile - a preserve and lemon mix, which did its job just fine on Wednesday's cocktail night.

View Profile of nuKKe Send a personal message to nuKKe  Email nuKKe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CheekyGirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-10 5:32 pm   Permalink

Nukke,

I've found that if you soak lime or lemons in hot water, you get more juice out of them.

On another note, I used a combination of 1/2 fresh squeezed lemon juice and 1/2 of that bottled Real Lemon in the recipe listed in Beach Bum Berry's Grog Log (Trader Vic's Grog) and it changed the taste of the Grog.

I entered it for the Grog Tasting at the Oasis V, and some grog connoisseurs picked up on it.

mrtikibar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-30 11:14 am   Permalink

I got around to trying Santa Cruz Organic Lime Juice and thought it was fine. It's nice to have access to another decent bottled lime juice, this one being an alternative to Key Lime. It may be hard to find so here is a link to their web site.
http://www.scojuice.com/find/index.html

[ This Message was edited by: mrtikibar on 2005-05-30 11:22 ]

View Profile of mrtikibar Send a personal message to mrtikibar  Email mrtikibar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-06 9:32 pm   Permalink

I was just discovered the solution to the dreaded lack of fresh lime juice! If you're really in an extremely tough pinch and can't find the authentic juice to save your life... this might suffice.

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2009-03-15 10:17 pm   Permalink

I always get asked "do you have any limes" but if I have remembered to buy any for a party, it is usually only enough for garnish. I was seriously thinking about getting a juicer, stocking up on limes and freezing the juice for future use, but it doesn't seem like a good idea since I only have a Tiki party about once every 3 months. I was looking through threads on limes and glad I read this one again as it reaffirms my investment in Nellie & Joe's Lime Juice (which I keep stocked in the fridge), great website too. Reminds me though that I need to restock from BevMo.

https://stores.floridakeys.com/keylimejuice/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=1

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation