FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Is there an alternative to lime juice?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Is there an alternative to lime juice?
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-16 08:32 am   Permalink

I'll back up what's been said about Santa Cruz Juice Co. We have a couple on hand at all times, "just in case"...

http://www.scojuice.com/products/100_citrus

Vamp, being a fellow NorCal, you should be able to find their lemon and lime juices close to you.
...I just checked there website, and it looks like their selling nationwide now, so everyone can get them...

[ This Message was edited by: Haole'akamai 2009-03-16 08:36 ]

View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-16 1:06 pm   Permalink

how is the taste of the Santa Cruz Lime juice to fresh squeezed?
it looks pretty good,
how long does it last?

can you freeze it to last longer?

there is a place 1 mile from me that has it.
thanks
Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-16 1:50 pm   Permalink

Nothing, of course, beats quality fresh citrus, but I have found SC Juice Co juice quite comparable. If we're making punches for parties at Lund Manor, it's the prerequisite juice in bulk; you just can't beat it for the cost/time/taste ratio.

If we're just making one or two cocktails, we'll still use fresh citrus, unless we have a open bottle in the fridge. Once open, we've found the juice stays decent for about a week. We haven't tried freezing it.

View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2009-03-16 6:35 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the reference, will check out the local stores for some Santa Cruz Juice too. I really could plant some lime trees at my house but I am the world's worse gardener. Saplings, seedlings, and well-established plants cringe when I look at them...I can hear them say "Oh my gawd...avert your roots, drop your leaves, the plant killer is eyeing us!!!"

I am destined to a life of artificial plants and plastic bottles of citrus juices. Now if they only made artificial mint...I would be set for life.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Balls
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-03-17 07:40 am   Permalink

Santa Cruz is my back-up choice too for fresh limes & lemons. At least here in the Northwest, it's widely available.

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arobinson19
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-03-23 07:05 am   Permalink

odwalla juices(if you can get them) are usually really good. i buy their lemon and their lime juice bottled to make my sour mix.they sell them at the grocery store closest to me. in the NE area yuo can get it at stop and shop. im sure whole foods has it as well.

[ This Message was edited by: arobinson19 2009-03-23 07:05 ]

View Profile of arobinson19 Send a personal message to arobinson19  Email arobinson19     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-23 08:51 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-03-23 07:05, arobinson19 wrote:
odwalla juices(if you can get them) are usually really good. i buy their lemon and their lime juice bottled to make my sour mix.they sell them at the grocery store closest to me. in the NE area yuo can get it at stop and shop. im sure whole foods has it as well.

I've seen Odwalla limeades and lemonades, but never the 100% lime or lemon juice. Where do you get it?

arobinson19
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-03-23 7:16 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-03-23 08:51, Haole'akamai wrote:
Quote:

On 2009-03-23 07:05, arobinson19 wrote:

I've seen Odwalla limeades and lemonades, but never the 100% lime or lemon juice. Where do you get it?

im pretty sure u can find it in the grocery store. i know the bar i sometimes go to gets it . ill have to ask them

View Profile of arobinson19 Send a personal message to arobinson19  Email arobinson19     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-23 8:48 pm   Permalink

Pee?

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chief Bartender
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-24 1:07 pm   Permalink

Santa Cruz lime juice is the lime juice of choice at Brenda's Tiki Hut when we have big parties or fresh limes aren't available. Of course, in preparation for big parties I usually end up juicing two or three bags of limes from Costco then freezing what's left over. (Ha! Like we ever have any lime juice left over...)

View Profile of Chief Bartender Send a personal message to Chief Bartender  Email Chief Bartender     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KuKu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-24 2:16 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-03-23 20:48, RevBambooBen wrote:
Pee?

Doowed, LIME juice, not LIMEY juice...

View Profile of KuKu Send a personal message to KuKu  Email KuKu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiauction
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-29 1:02 pm   Permalink

anyone tried using these? i'm almost positive i've had them ripped up and spiked in a mojito before. anyway, they are called "kaffir lime leaves" and are basically concentrated lime essence used in thai cooking, should be able to get them at the asian grocers.

View Profile of tikiauction Send a personal message to tikiauction  Goto the website of tikiauction     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Carpathia
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-04-05 10:47 am   Permalink

I'm not sure how the leaves taste, but I do know the Hangar One company uses Kaffir lime to infuse their vodkas with; i'm willing to bet they'll be good, but not taste like the conventional limes we're used to.

View Profile of Carpathia Send a personal message to Carpathia      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-08 01:37 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-04-28 11:51, nuKKe wrote:
Is there an alternative to lime juice?

Kiwi is an excellent substitute with drinkers who are conditioned to Rose's lime juice, you get the tart And the sweetness together.

Yes I know, I receive one demerit for mentioning Rose's lime juice.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nuKKe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-08 07:21 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-04-08 01:37, Unga Bunga wrote:
Kiwi is an excellent substitute

As in squeezing kiwi?

It's pretty cool, how this thread is still going on, nearly 4 years since it started.

View Profile of nuKKe Send a personal message to nuKKe  Email nuKKe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation