FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Beachin's big announcement...bad news...good news
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Beachin's big announcement...bad news...good news
beachin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-06 09:25 am   Permalink

So, yea...

The kiln MISFIRED with 47 pirates inside (plus the two prototypes I designed to show everybody this weekend)...and, well, they are not traveling to Palm Springs.

Beachin and hubby still are, though.

Ummmm. That's about it.

[ This Message was edited by: beachin on 2005-05-06 09:25 ]

View Profile of beachin Send a personal message to beachin  Email beachin Goto the website of beachin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-06 2:04 pm   Permalink

That really hurts Beachin, Hate to hear it. It happens to us all though in some form or another. I'll show you a box of pieces half to near done that met some unfortunate end.
Anyway, Have fun at Oasis.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-06 4:41 pm   Permalink

Well, you are handling it like a pro, and deserve a vacation.

View Profile of Raffertiki Send a personal message to Raffertiki  Email Raffertiki Goto the website of Raffertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
beachin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-09 05:19 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-05-06 14:04, Benzart wrote:
That really hurts Beachin, Hate to hear it. It happens to us all though in some form or another. I'll show you a box of pieces half to near done that met some unfortunate end.
Anyway, Have fun at Oasis.

Well...I survived it, so I guess I'm ok. Had a blast at Oasis, so that make everything alright! Thanks Benz!

View Profile of beachin Send a personal message to beachin  Email beachin Goto the website of beachin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
beachin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-09 05:21 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-05-06 16:41, Raffertiki wrote:
Well, you are handling it like a pro, and deserve a vacation.

Yea...going ended up to be the right choice. I loved meeting everyone face-to-face and had a great vending experience. Took a few orders that I'll ship out this week, so all in all a great experience.

Me so tired now and must get through finals...Thanks, Raffertiki, for the encouragement!

teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-09 7:20 pm   Permalink

so because of the over firing, how bad are the mugs. Are the useiable. Is the color bad?

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-09 7:21 pm   Permalink

you can sell them for a bit cheaper and maybe one day they will be more valueble like the upside down airplane stamp.

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
beachin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-09 9:40 pm   Permalink

They underfired, so the kiln is firing them again now. The jury is still out. They should be OK. I just put the wrong cone in during my stress over the event. Realizing the mistake made me feel better because I can't afford a new kiln right now.

If worse comes to worse, I can do what you say, but I did take orders this weekend, and must send a top-notch product to those kind folks who made the commitment.

I'm sure they'll be fine. I'll know more tomorrow evening. It was just the clear glaze did not melt entirely in the heavier spots, like the corners of the eyes, etc.

Thanks for the suggestions because had I been really upset about them, you would have heard a lot of beachin's internet whining. Luckily, the mistake looks to be an easy fix. YAY!

Sam Gambino
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-09 10:29 pm   Permalink

Good luck on those finals too, beachin!

View Profile of Sam Gambino Send a personal message to Sam Gambino  Email Sam Gambino Goto the website of Sam Gambino     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SES
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-10 03:17 am   Permalink

Yikes... hope everything works out okay with them. Next time keep the prototypes and a few others in a different batch. "Don't put all your eggs in one basket." I cannot count how many times I have ruined something because it wasn't perfect enough for me and I had to just do one more teensy thing to it which resulted in it being completely destroyed by either melting from the torch or grabbed and thrown across the room by some machine. Deadlines and stress always multiply the odds of this occurring.

View Profile of SES Send a personal message to SES      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-10 04:10 am   Permalink

I'm hoping the re-fire will work out OK for you, Beachin. These little things that happen to us are the building blocks of our skill that eventually turn us into "Pro's"
I'm So glad your Oasis trip was so sucessful. Sorry I wasn't there, but SoFla is too far away for me to come from for the weekend. Hopefully, at next years Oasis you will find me there..

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-10 8:25 pm   Permalink

Dont let this discourage you too much. Just think, in a few years time you will be able to look back and laugh about it all

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
beachin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-10 9:01 pm   Permalink

Good news! The second fire was a big success so all of the pirates are A-OK! Thanks so much for all the words of encouragement.

In two weeks, I'll look back and laugh, because then I'll be through the worst of it.

Next: Hukilau! YAY!

teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-11 07:05 am   Permalink

I will lok for your mugs. I just found out that I will be able to go to FL.

SES
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-12 06:33 am   Permalink

No more half baked pirates!

View Profile of SES Send a personal message to SES      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation