FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Tiki Carving » » What do you carvers do with all the sawdust?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
What do you carvers do with all the sawdust?
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-10 2:31 pm   Permalink

I have a portable dust collector that works half well when I turn it on. I have a Shop Vac that works almost as well when I turn It on and I have a couple different brooms and bench brushes that work really when I can find them and use them. When I finally DO use something, The collected dust goes wherever the particular machine sends it. Trash bin for the brooms and brushes. dust bag for the collector and the 10 gal tub of the vac. I do clean up once in awhile when I can't find the tools I'm looking for. I Do breathe a lot of dust. I have masks that fog my glasses,,when I wear them.

i hate sawdust
I hate foggy glasses
I hate to sweep and vacuum.
The dust collector is noisy.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thanatos
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-10 6:23 pm   Permalink

Ok what about this......

New from Tiki Room and Carvers world wide,,,,, " Island Tiki Cereal".. High in fiber and crafted with love...

It would sell... I can see a whole industry.. fiber bars, Cake mix, Wood filler, Notin say's loving like Tiki Fiber

View Profile of Thanatos Send a personal message to Thanatos  Email Thanatos     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZebraTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-10 8:26 pm   Permalink

If you have stables nearby, they sometimes use sawdust or mix sawdust with other materials for bedding in the stalls. Or any place that keeps various animals, or has to clean up after animals, I'll spare you the scatalogical details, but one horse can go through a LOT of sawdust.
Small wildlife rehab places also need all the free materials they can get, and use sawdust for some enclosures.

View Profile of ZebraTiki Send a personal message to ZebraTiki  Email ZebraTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-11 7:22 pm   Permalink

Pretty cool stuff here. Thanks all for contributing.
Props to Good ol' Sam, Whaine, thanatos etc. for making me laugh my arse off. I'm sending magic Mcnugget cereal dust to each of you!

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-11 8:03 pm   Permalink

I'm carving an eight foot basswood log in
my garage right now...when i'm sanding the
dust clumps together like cotton candy...
i'm gonna put it on a stick and sell it at
the carnival this year.

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-05-16 1:20 pm   Permalink

I like carvin the palm because all dust and scraps go directly to the...

GREEN WASTE!!!
green trashcans are my friend....

I'm not quite sure where the rest of the dust goes.

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-16 3:23 pm   Permalink

I mix my saw dust with my dog's food. It makes them regular.

Oh my God, I'm just kidding.

http://www.NiceFishy.com

View Profile of Raffertiki Send a personal message to Raffertiki  Email Raffertiki Goto the website of Raffertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pariartspaul
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-17 09:53 am   Permalink

I am on the scroll saw every day and I also use a planner and table saw a lot and I make tons of redwood sawdust and shavings and scraps. In the winter we never are short of firewood. In the summer I mostly throw it away. Sometimes if I have nice clean shavings and dust I scatter it throughout the garden and it looks kind of cool.

I don't have a dust collection system but I always use a good 3m cartridge respirator - always. It helps a hundred percent. I really notice the difference. I used to use those cloth dusk masks but they didn't work very well. Home Depot sells respirators in the paint section. The latest mask I got at a wood working show and it is silicone and fits really good. It doesn't fog up my glasses and you can change out the cartridges when you want to. It's definitely worth it.

View Profile of pariartspaul Send a personal message to pariartspaul  Email pariartspaul     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OnoTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-05-21 04:25 am   Permalink

Inside, outside... all the same to me… I use a GOOD 2 canisters mask when sanding and simple sweep up... My feeling is it is only a tree, seed, leaves, bark or dust, all the same. I just don’t like breathing the fine dust when I have to power sand, so I use the 2 canister mask.

View Profile of OnoTiki Send a personal message to OnoTiki  Email OnoTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation