[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Tiki Oasis V memories
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Tiki Oasis V memories
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-09 3:44 pm   Permalink

It's amazing to me the way that each major tiki event I attend is a more heartwarming and truly fantastic experience than the last. I've wondered how it can be so, but the Tiki Central 'ohana simply is continuing to grow both closer and larger as time goes by. I feel deeply honored and fortunate to be part of it. This was a very special weekend to me -- all of the tiki events are etched cleanly in my memory (okay, so some of the parts are fuzzy), but this Tiki Oasis was really a different experience for me in several wonderful ways.

I'd like to give a very special thanks to Otto and Baby Doe for their years of dedication to spreading the love for Polynesian Pop. Think of the last time you were in charge of coordinating a handful of people for a simple dinner or get-together, or the dread you felt when the check and pile of bills and credit cards somehow made its way in front of you, leaving you to figure out the tally -- now imagine doing that on the scale of several hundred people over several days, with entertainers, vendors, and scads and scads of alcohol. Yikes. Otto and Baby Doe, being busy folks with jobs & family like most of us have to deal with, commit massive chunks of time out of every year to make this happen for us. Frankly, it's amazing. I couldn't do it. And I thank my lucky stars that we Otto & Baby Doe can. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

The Room Crawl was a fabulous idea, and it worked really well. I love that anyone who wanted it had the opportunity to shine in the host spotlight for a little bit, and that there were ample opportunities to come together and meet more TCers. The drinks were fantastic all around. I was disappointed to miss some of the room parties (Friday in particular was dedicated to sleeping for me). I'd also like to thank everyone who came out to participate the Aloha Wear Release to the Wild, especially Al & Shelley and Martin & Rebecca, who donated some of their own items into the collection. I can't tell you how it thrills me to see the look on someone's face when a lovely vintage item fits juuuuust right. It's always a kick for me to see the dresses out in the wild on a lovely wahine, where they belong.

On Thursday night, I was presented with the most humbling and astounding gift -- Floratina had commissioned Crazy Al to create a special tiki necklace for me, which he carved out of mahogany. He was selling replicas of the original at Oasis and calling them "The Humuhumu." I was gobsmacked. Deeply, deeply touched. It's gorgeous and I love it, thank you so very, very much!

Room 135 was, as ever, a fantastic cavalcade of socializing and music. Al & Shelley were wonderful hosts as ever, and also opened their suite up for others to host out of at several points through the weekend. It is incredibly generous of Al & Shelley to let 135 be a home base of sorts. 135 lives on!

I'd like to thank all of the attendees to the scheduled Friday night party AND the unscheduled Saturday night party in Room 230. We LOVED being able to play host, and we especially love that everyone played nice and nothing got broken or lifted. Well, Lane lifted me now that I think about it, but he did put me back.

I've spoken with mig, and he's quite bummed he didn't make it, and was also bummed to hear that the bear was a no-show. Frankly, I think it's all a bit fishy and coincidental -- I have a feeling we might see a few wee gorilla-ish bears and bear-ish gorillas at next year's Oasis.

By far, the biggest treat for me this weekend was being able to share it all with someone very special to me, someone I love very much. For many people this weekend, this was their first time meeting Hanford Lemoore. Hanford is an amazing man; I adore him, and I felt incredibly happy to be by his side through the weekend at his first Tiki Oasis. I know it meant a lot to Hanford to get to see the Tiki Central community in action in a very new way. Thank you also to those who had our backs when things took a brief turn for the creepy on Saturday night.

Mahalo nui loa to everyone for being such a big and thoroughly positive part of my life.

[ This Message was edited by: Humuhumu on 2005-05-09 15:50 ]

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki-riviera
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-09 4:53 pm   Permalink

The greates part of Tiki Oasis is the memories created during the event. I have many great memories of this event, but I think the greatest was spending a good part of the day with my young niece and nephew, showing them tiki's and helping them learn to swim in the pool. Their smiles and shrieks of laughter were priceless. I think this event created a memory of a lifetime for them. thanks everyone...

View Profile of tiki-riviera Send a personal message to tiki-riviera  Email tiki-riviera     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Sperm Whale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-09 5:11 pm   Permalink

One thing that I'll alway remember was the TIKI Tour that King Kukulele gave to the Kids on Sunday morning. It was the funniest thing I ever saw. He got all the Tiki's at the tropic's to talk to the Kids. The tiki's would answer any questions that the kids had. The biggest question for every Tiki was:
What do you eat for Breakfast?
What do you eat for Lunch?
What do you eat for Dinner?
What do you eat for dessert?
For some reason I thought it was Hilarious. The king is amazing with kids and I thought it was pretty darn cute.

View Profile of The Sperm Whale Send a personal message to The Sperm Whale  Email The Sperm Whale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pepper LaRue

Posted: 2005-05-09 6:06 pm   Permalink

This was my first Oasis, and I had such a GREAT time! It was everything I hoped for and then some. It was supposed to be a second honeymoon, but it had to become a family vacation at the last minute, and it became the best family vacation yet. I'm already looking forward to Tiki Oasis VI!

View Profile of Pepper LaRue Send a personal message to Pepper LaRue  Email Pepper LaRue Goto the website of Pepper LaRue     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WooHooWahine
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2005-05-09 6:55 pm   Permalink

WooHoo! What an Experience!!! This was my 1st Tiki Oasis and it was Absolutely Incredible. A Special Mahalo to Otto, Dr.Z, Bamboo Ben & Family, The Tiki Farm Crew, and everyone else from Tiki Central who went out of their way to make everyone feel so welcomed. Soccer Tiki and I can't wait for the next event. Please let us know if there is every anything we can do to help out for future Tiki Central Events

View Profile of WooHooWahine Send a personal message to WooHooWahine  Email WooHooWahine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
beachin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-09 6:57 pm   Permalink

As a first-timer, I also must post that it was a wonderful memorable experience that I truly wish to repeat.

Next time I stay for more than one day, though. Slept through all of the parties, as the flying was exhausting, but the day was great.

Great to meet you all in person, too.

View Profile of beachin Send a personal message to beachin  Email beachin Goto the website of beachin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
beachin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-09 7:26 pm   Permalink

Here! Here! Hats off to a wonderful event that ran smoothly from my perspective. I only wish I had more time to share with you all, but promise to devote more next year.

Vending was an amazing experience, but more than that. Meeting everyone was the biggest excitement for me.

I didn't bring my children but was incredibly impressed with all of the children's activities that took place throughout the weekend. I was also impressed that families co-mingled so well with partiers, sharing that "we're here for a good time" feel that everyone could enjoy.

Hats off to Otto, Baby Doe, and all of the Tiki Farm Folks that did such a wonderful job. I was especially impressed with how well you handled the "Caliente sold" scare and bullying that took place mere weeks before the event and behind-the-scenes meetings and communication that promised a quality event for all involved. Hats off to all of you vendors and entertainers who truly represented the aloha spirit to a newcomer. Hats off to all of the shoppers because you made it so fulfilling.

Very well done! *Stands and applauds*

View Profile of beachin Send a personal message to beachin  Email beachin Goto the website of beachin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-09 9:31 pm   Permalink

I don't know where to comment on this but I just didn't think the Caliente Tropics is a big enough venue for the size of the event it is hosting.
As for hospitality, I thought I was treated reasonably well from management. Although after vending at the end of the day Saturday I was forced to hand my merchandise over the fence because they refused to unlock the gate, I understand the managements reasons for this. It was very nice of Oscar, (the owner of the Tropics), to help me load my tikis back into my truck Sunday afternoon.
I loved King Kukulele's reference to "double patch entertainment", a subtle hint to parents of small children of the impending approach of adult entertainment.
Once again it's always good to meet TCer's that I hadn't met before. I wish I could have met more of you but maybe next event.
Thanks to all those who bought my mugs, and shirts, and Rick for the tiki. There were a few items I just had to possess...Bosko's HUGE Moai pitcher with the jungle glaze for one. Heather's art really provokes me. The burlesque dancer's provoked me too, butt it's all good. Thanks braddah Chongolio for sharing a booth with me. Mahalo Rick and Monica for the drinks and food, Unga Bunga for the drinks, Unga Bunga for more drinks, in true aloha spirit. You are all ohana. It all passed by too quickly.

Oki NiKsoKoWa
(Hello all my relatives)
TikiJungle.com

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrs. pineapple
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-09 9:49 pm   Permalink

On my rare visits out of my room, I had a lovely time! I feel like I missed a LOT but, I actually had some really nice conversations with lots of people, who happened to be awake and aware at 8 am! (Big Al, Poly-Pop, all the people with kids who were awake!)
And I spent some quality time with Vander Vegas, and the lovely little Fiona Brown. (This is what happens when you bring Spongebob videos and play-doh to the Oasis with the intention of hanging out in your room!)

But really, despite my tiredness, aversion to heat, and lack of late nights and parties, I really felt like I saw a lot of old and new friends, and got to meet quite a few people from the board! AND I actually remember it! Mr. Pineapple-Bot partied for all 3 of us, and I did the sleeping for the Pineapples!

OK - Best Baby in Belly comment goes to the incredibly charming Bamboo Blake, 7 year old son of Ben and Mrs. Boo:
BB - there's a BABY in there?
mrs. P - yep!
BB - is it a boy or a girl?
mrs. P - it's a boy
BB - how do you know?
mrs. P - they take a picture at the dr. and they can tell...
BB - oh, because it didn't have long hair, you know it's a boy?
mrs. P - uhhhhh, Ben, I think you need to have a talk with this lad....

Anyway - The Bamboo Boys are incredibly charming, it was really nice to meet the kids! We hope our little fella grows up to be as adorable and cool as they are! (The fact that Bamboo Jack was wearing a Black Flag t-shirt poolside on Sunday sealed the deal!)
I'm kind of bummed I didn't get to say goodbye to anyone, I was holed up in my room making fish out of play-doh, and watching Nemo, but I had a really great time, and thanks again Utopian Dream, for my pineapple charm bracelet, and Martin and Rebecca for my pineapple sunglasses, I really dazzled them at the truck stops on 5 today
xoxox
mrs & baby Pineapple...

View Profile of mrs. pineapple Send a personal message to mrs. pineapple      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-bot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-09 9:57 pm   Permalink

I'm too tired to post all of my thoughts right now, so I'll just say Mrs. Pineapple and I had a fabulous time. Thanks to everyone for making our anniversary weekend so special and fun (again!). It was great to see our friends again and meet a lot of new TC ohana. Extra special thanks to Otto and Doe for putting together another amazing Oasis. To paraphrase the great Hanford Lemoore: We love you, man!

I formally apologise to Dr Z for ever doubting or nay-saying your room crawl idea - it was simply smashing! All the room hosts were faboulous, as were the drinks. Big thanks to all who hosted!

Humuhumu, here's a little somethin' just for you:

View Profile of Tiki-bot Send a personal message to Tiki-bot  Email Tiki-bot     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ghidorah

Posted: 2005-05-09 10:39 pm   Permalink

Well. Mrs. Ghid and I were 1st time attendees and we had a most amazing time. (Besides the fact that we love to get a way to enjoy Palm Springs a few times a year). This was brilliant!

We've never seen Ape (bought my APE mug. APE CD etc.), King Kukulele or Fisherman before - so we were floored. And we were lucky enough to be on the grass at stage center - both Friday & Saturday night. Crazy Al is awesome and You People are amazing! And the shows - all risque, yet NOT over the top....perfectly capturing the gentle vibe and the groove - It was so nice seeing the tribute to Disneyland's The Enchanted Tiki Room (I coordinate Disney's DVD audio division and my wife and I have been annual passholders at the park for the last 6 years) and Sven's slides - I guess our only regret was endine up at the Vagabond instead of the Caliente (though the staff was nice and the pool was mostly . . . . mine).

Otherwise, the whole thing was so perfect, it was everything I thought it might & could be - and next year we will BUY EARLY and be amongst the "In Crowd"

There WILL be a next year won't there?

Thanks again. It was a BLAST! ! !

-Ghid
Marina del Rey, CA

View Profile of Ghidorah Send a personal message to Ghidorah  Email Ghidorah     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-09 11:08 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-05-09 21:57, Tiki-bot wrote:
Humuhumu, here's a little somethin' just for you:

WWJD?

[ This Message was edited by: Unga Bunga on 2005-05-10 01:30 ]

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ookoo lady
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-10 07:51 am   Permalink

We are still glowing from the great time we had. Last year was our very first Tiki event. We were amazed and impressed by everything, but really didn't know anyone back then. This year was so much better because we got to hang out with so many friends, and also to meet new people whose names we recognize from TikiCentral. The room crawl was great. The vendors were great. The architecture tour was fun. The entertainment was fabulous. And can you believe that stage? Fantastic! We had some misgivings before the event, especially because of the management change, and because of concerns about over-crowding. Except for a minor reservation snafu, everything worked out quite well. We can't wait til next year...I definitely want to be a room host for the crawl. I think I'll make my reservation right now, just to make sure we get to stay at the Caliente!

View Profile of ookoo lady Send a personal message to ookoo lady      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-10 09:21 am   Permalink

WOOFLE BALL !!!

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dr. Shocker
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-10 10:37 am   Permalink

This too was my first year and I was amazed at the whole event.....had a grea time drinking wand chatting with many of you......and Dr. Z Sunrise was one hell of a time......took a day off to recover a bit more.....can't wait for the next event and of course next year.....Everyone who hosted many thanx for my buzz and Otto/Baby Doe your insane for doing this and we love you for it.......

View Profile of Dr. Shocker Send a personal message to Dr. Shocker  Goto the website of Dr. Shocker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation