[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki TIKIS at the Metropolitan Museum
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
TIKIS at the Metropolitan Museum
Blue Moose
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-05-10 09:01 am   Permalink

A new show opens toaday at the Met in New York: Adorning the World: The Art of the Marquesas. If you're in NYC, have a look.
The little tikis carved from human bones are my favorite part; they look like tiki shot glasses.

Here is a link to an article my wife wrote about the show. It appeared in the New York Daily News, and it includes info on local tiki bars.
http://www.nydailynews.com/05-08-2005/city_life/food/story/307380p-263001c.html

View Profile of Blue Moose Send a personal message to Blue Moose      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pomaika i
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-10 09:05 am   Permalink

Very cool! I want to go, maybe I can take a little mini-vacation up there.

View Profile of Pomaika i Send a personal message to Pomaika i      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
liabungalo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-10 12:39 pm   Permalink

Hey all my NYC/NJ Tiki brethren. What is this King Yum. I'm never heard of it before. Is it cool? Should I be running to check it out? Please let me know.

-g-

View Profile of liabungalo Send a personal message to liabungalo  Email liabungalo Goto the website of liabungalo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-10 12:59 pm   Permalink

King Yum is the oldest Chinese restaurant in Queens, they're supposed to have some '70s style Oriental Trading masks on the walls & other pieces of "polynesian decor," and an "Exotic drinks menu."

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tastysp
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-10 1:03 pm   Permalink

hey all!
Steve from Otto's Shrunken Head here! Having grown up in Chinatown NYC I never went out to Queens to King Yum for chinese but would be willing to host a trip out there for anyone interested in going. We were very psyched to be part of that article.
ps the girl on the right in the photo is the widow of legendary motorcycle builder Indian Larry

View Profile of tastysp Send a personal message to tastysp  Email tastysp     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
liabungalo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-10 1:06 pm   Permalink

I definetely want to check it out some day.

-g-

ps: Steve, could you please hound your Web master about updating the show dates at your club. I hate finding out about great rockabilly shows after they happen. I'd even be willing to do it for you. I only pester because Otto's is the best.

View Profile of liabungalo Send a personal message to liabungalo  Email liabungalo Goto the website of liabungalo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HaoleGirl

Posted: 2005-05-10 1:16 pm   Permalink

http://www.metmuseum.org/special/se_event.asp?OccurrenceId={F7F71B3C-A095-4DF6-A7D4-898D79B7A691}

Link to store has some cool books for sale too.

View Profile of HaoleGirl Send a personal message to HaoleGirl      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tastysp
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-10 1:17 pm   Permalink

There was a small problem last week with our site. The damn monkeys that we hired to run it ran out of bananas and went on strike. They started flingin' poo all over the place! Took us 2 days to clean it all up but we re-negotiated with them (we promised them 4 bananas a day, up from 3) We even said we'd give them a pineapple for good performance! Hopefully everything will be timely from now on
steve

View Profile of tastysp Send a personal message to tastysp  Email tastysp     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
liabungalo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-10 1:30 pm   Permalink

Hey my wish has been granted. Otto's events are back up. I already see two things I want to go to. Thanks so much. You rock.

-g-

ps: The Tiki Boys list the Tombstone Brawlers show as June 11th on their site. I only nitpick because I'm an editor. Sorry.

tastysp
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-10 1:38 pm   Permalink

DOH! Thanks for the heads up
put up the wrong month's listing
I'm going to beat my copy editor with a bamboo stick now...

aikiman44
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-12 2:34 pm   Permalink

We're going Sunday afternoon. Anybody else?

View Profile of aikiman44 Send a personal message to aikiman44  Email aikiman44 Goto the website of aikiman44     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-12 2:53 pm   Permalink

I was eagerly searching the "Images from the collection" page for mentions of "On Loan from the Collection of Basement Kahuna" or "From the Swanky Collection," but no such luck. Just some guy named "Nelson Rockefeller" or somethin'.

(I wanna go!!!!)

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tastysp
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-16 07:48 am   Permalink

Went to the met this weekend and saw the exhibit. It wasn't as large as the Art of the South Pacific show that was there a while back but contained many really interesting pieces. There was a painted barkcloth effigy (one of maybe three in existence), cool earrings and jewelry made of human bones, carved tiki tobacco pipes, wooden war clubs, hand fans, headdresses and tools (including a grain pounder carved with 2 tiki heads owned by Paul Gauguin

donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-16 08:24 am   Permalink

This gives me another reason to get my ass to the Met. I have been wanting to see the Diane Arbus show, now I can check out this other thing.

Interesting. 'Bout time Tiki got some local press. I noticed that they didn't mention Chan's Dragon Inn in the Daily News article. Guess they're trying to keep it all NYC.

Somebody here asked about King Yum. That place is very cool. I went there a few months back and posted something about it 'Locating Tiki'. Sheggidout...

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=11818&forum=2&vpost=125108

View Profile of donhonyc Send a personal message to donhonyc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
liabungalo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-16 08:35 am   Permalink

I went on Saturday, and it was a really nice exhibit, but super small. It's easy to miss and confuse it as part of the African exhibit if you come from the side rather than the front.

I was a big fan of the tiny bone/jewelry tiki gods. They reminded me of the Gulp shot glass from Tiki Farm and Doug Horne.

-g-

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation