[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Ľ Ľ General Tiki Ľ Ľ TIKIS at the Metropolitan Museum
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
TIKIS at the Metropolitan Museum
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-07-23 7:38 pm   Permalink

Went to the Met (NYC) and had to check out the native American,African, and Oceania exhibit. The Oceania portion is mostly Png and truly amazing. Hereís some pix-I took a ton and I encourage anyone that visits the Met to check out this permanent exhibit.

I have seen this one in many books and I tried to replicate itís image on one of my home bars. Itís actually a very large 3 dimensional mask.

This is an upright slit drum of sorts Notice the size as compared to the visitors to its right.

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2017-07-24 05:38 am   Permalink

Awesome! The Museum of Natural History nearby also has a pretty cool section curated by Margaret Mead. I visited this past May 2017. They have a moai that is sort of their "mascot" unofficially, and everyone goes to take their picture standing next to it. (I did too.) Didn't make it to the Met, cuz there's so much to see and do (and drink) in NYC that I'll visit the Met next time I'm there. Museums and parks are very good for "liver recovery" efforts.......

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-07-24 06:58 am   Permalink

Ace,
Yup, too much to see here. You could spend days at the Met alone. Gonna try and squeeze in the natural history museum on the way back to California for the final two legs of our road trip across this beautiful country of ours. Mahalo for the tip.
Cheers

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2017-07-24 07:21 am   Permalink

Yer welcome! Makes sure you swing through the gift shop and pick up some of their Moai pins, and look for a few other Moai things like fridge magnets and key chains. And while you're there, check their clearance bins and racks too - they have some good deals in there.

Already thinking about my return trip to NYC... Wow, what a great city to visit! I actually had fun getting lost on the subway system because everything led me to new discoveries and great people. I encountered lots of tourists and travelers from around the world. One couple from Zurich came from Hawai`i and had a ukulele in their luggage. Very cool!

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Staredge
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-07-24 11:56 am   Permalink

Good to know about the Natural History museum. Going back up in December for our Otto's gig. I usually spend the day traipsing around before show time. That'll give me something to do.

View Profile of Staredge Send a personal message to Staredge      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2017-07-24 1:21 pm   Permalink

Please post your impression when you get back - the collection has some VERY impressive handiwork by native islanders. It's worth seeing.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation