FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Hewey's stuff - new stuff 4 Oct page 18
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )
Hewey's stuff - new stuff 4 Oct page 18
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-10 10:59 pm   Permalink

Here is some art I have been playing around with. It is done with pastels. I have only been playing around for a couple of weeks. All art has been done on paper or black cardboard, and all is A4 in size.

Let me know what you think! Constructive advice as well. Thanks in advance.

[ This Message was edited by: hewey 2009-03-08 01:08 ]

[ This Message was edited by: hewey 2009-10-04 00:39 ]

[ This Message was edited by: hewey 2009-10-04 00:42 ]

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-10 11:04 pm   Permalink

Here is some more

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kooche
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-11 12:04 am   Permalink

Hewey

these look great...i like how you feel your way through your color schemes...they work so well...mostly polarized into one temperate spectrum...monochrome nearly

i don't use pastel at ALL but i know how challenging it is to control because i use charcoal when i go to life drawing and they are both dry sedimentray based mediums...to make the color REALLY pop though you should grind your values HARD...don't be affraid to go TOO dark or light...it's all about contrast and if you DO go too far you can always compensate...use your finger or a smudger to really pound your darks or lights...if you use textured paper you'll really benefit...GO FOR IT!!! this stuff shows great great promise!

i hope you hit us with some more!

View Profile of kooche Send a personal message to kooche  Goto the website of kooche     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thanatos
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-11 06:34 am   Permalink

Looks good. You seem to have a natural flow with your art... Keep going..

View Profile of Thanatos Send a personal message to Thanatos  Email Thanatos     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sam Gambino
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-11 06:41 am   Permalink

Great going, hewey. We don't see much pastel around here! Nice expressions on these guys too.

www.samgambino.com

View Profile of Sam Gambino Send a personal message to Sam Gambino  Email Sam Gambino Goto the website of Sam Gambino     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-11 06:55 am   Permalink

Nice! I agree with Sam, not enough pastel art. I love the color schemes too, and the shading on the second guy down. Very cool.

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-11 08:13 am   Permalink

Hewey, those look kind of cool. the last one in blue is definately the the best. Concentrate on lines like that and you will have it Made.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swamp Fire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-11 11:56 am   Permalink

Nice job, I like number one he has a great attitude and of course green is my favorite color. I've worked in pastel and know how hard it is to work with. You can also work with layers of color with pastel much like paint.

The Art of Doug Horne
http://www.swampfirelounge.com/

View Profile of Swamp Fire Send a personal message to Swamp Fire  Email Swamp Fire Goto the website of Swamp Fire     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-11 9:09 pm   Permalink

Thanks for all the feedback! I used pastels for the simple reason that my girl had them left over from high school art, and I thought I would give it a go.

I need to clarify that the last blue one was outlined in blue pen, before being coloured with the pastels. This is how i got the detail in it which would be otherwise impossible. All the others are just pastels though.

I am open to selling them, or to swap for other art or mugs or whatever... Make me an offer either way. I'm not looking to get rich, so dont offer me too much . Im just having a bit of fun.

I am open to the idea of doing custom work for folks too. Ill have a go, and show you the results. If you dont like it - dont buy it! No harm. Again, PM to discuss it.

Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-11 10:45 pm   Permalink

Hewey, that last one was the best in my book. I like the perspective, and the line art really sharpened it up. I know nothing of pastels, I just know I liked it. Keep drawing, follow your tiki muse where you will, but keep posting plenty o' pix!

A-A

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
theartcoach
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-05-12 07:20 am   Permalink

Hewey,

Lookin good! Love the free-ness of them. I would like to see you get into some building up of colors or even some oil pastels...

Keep it up!

View Profile of theartcoach Send a personal message to theartcoach  Email theartcoach     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-12 07:54 am   Permalink

Pastels!?! man I could never get the hang of those things. My colored hands always looked better than the art.
The fire one is my favorite I dig the shadows and mystery, but I like the color of the green one and the composition of the last blue one. Cool man,
Chongolio

Chongolio.com
Stoke & Flow
Facebook

View Profile of Chongolio Send a personal message to Chongolio  Email Chongolio Goto the website of Chongolio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SES
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-14 06:22 am   Permalink

Looking good! I used to do pastel portraits. It's a tricky medium. I decided to take the class after posing as the model in a few. Not the life drawing class model

View Profile of SES Send a personal message to SES      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
THOR's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-14 07:06 am   Permalink

Hewey!!
I like the direction a lot!! A few things I have learned about pastels is that the paper is half the battle!!

There was this really great pastel Artist named Sheila Rynman that did this pastel workshop for some of the Imagineers few years back, She was known for her beautiful wild life pastel paintings and how she captured lightand detail..yet loose and fresh (not her, her art)

She used to describe the paper as having all these tiny pits and valleys in them that varies depending on the paper you use.

Since patels are a build up of powder really, she would suggest to find a "toothier" suface to work onto get the best results. Once all the little valleys are filled with packed pastel powder,the piece begins to look messy and you find you can't seem to get the color to come off the stick anyore. Pastel paper is expensive so she would also do little practice pastel paintings on sheets of fine sandpaper..like 400 to 600 ot wet dry paper.

She was amazing how she could control the things..they were loose yet looked full of light and energy and detail. Anyway, your tikis are a great subject for this.

There are technigues where you can do color washes to tint the paper in the beginning by using turpentine or rubbing alchohol to "smear around" a base layer of pastel color with a brush. It dryes in minutes and the "powder" of the pastel permeates deep into the paper grain. This preserves the "tooth" of the paper for more detail to be built up with the sticks.

Also, begin to recognize harder from softer pastels. If you really start getting into this, you will want to use harder pastels in the beginning and softer ones as you build layers. But these are for the really layerd types of paintings that look very rich and impressionistic. Hard pastels are brands like "nu-pastel" "Rembrant" is a med to soft pastel. Then there are the french ones like Senillie (can't spell it. They are like painting with a stick of butter.

Last of all..many of the best pastel artists I know say NEVER use fixative on the final result. It deadens the colors and destroys the latered complexity. They say to carefully matt the drawing and put it into a frame where the glass does not touch the surface.

I hope this is helpul Just have fun!! Just wanted to share this because it's frustating enough just to make an image as it is in your mind. Pointers on controling the medium will give you a much easier path to great results!! GOOD LUCk!!!!!!!!!

~~~~THOR

[ This Message was edited by: THOR's on 2005-05-14 07:12 ]

View Profile of THOR's Send a personal message to THOR's  Email THOR's Goto the website of THOR's     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-14 10:35 am   Permalink

I just got a schooling on pastels. Great info Thor's.

You're off to a good start Hewey, and are one of the few pastel artists, if any, I've seen on TC. One thing that's helped me out, in any medium, is to check out the work of sucessful artists. You can learn a lot about expressing what's in your head by seeing how others do it.

Keep 'em coming.

View Profile of Raffertiki Send a personal message to Raffertiki  Email Raffertiki Goto the website of Raffertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation