FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Ľ Ľ Creating Tiki Ľ Ľ Other Crafts Ľ Ľ Hewey's stuff - new stuff 4 Oct page 18
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )
Hewey's stuff - new stuff 4 Oct page 18
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-04 10:28 pm   Permalink

Paipo Ė Thanks mate. Itís funny, it is kinda similar to my pastel stuff, but with the background and the properties of the paint it looks so much better. Iíll be doing more in this style for sure I think.

Sam Ė Thanks too The main reason I used one shot is because I had some lying around The problem is I donít have any green or brown at all, so it can be hard painting tiki stuff! Not sure if I will continue painting with the one shot or not at this stage.

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-05 12:04 am   Permalink

Tang couple is looking great, looks vintage!
It reminds me of pastelle the way the texture looks. Didja drybrush: ie use a brush with little paint on it and drag it across the canvas texture?
Anyways sweet piece.

ST

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-05 12:11 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-09-04 16:51, hewey wrote:
Itís starting to warm up a little down here, so now I can go outside and not freeze my ass off painting or carving outside at night after work (I donít have somewhere I can paint inside, so I do everything under the awning out the back.)

Hi Hewey!
Out here, I've been using the heat as an excuse not to drag my ass outside and work for the last three days. Plus, doesn't it get dark at 4:30 where you are?
Reading that post got me all scared of winter!
Enjoy your summer, Hewey(when it finally arrives, that is) You earned it!
Does this mean it's almost "play in the box because the heat makes us crazy" time?

Buzzy Out!

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-05 04:30 am   Permalink

Sneaky - Yeh the vintage look is cool. And yep, it's drybrushed.

Buzzy - Doesn't quite get dark at 4:30, more 5:30ish. Yeh winter sucks, and it approaches! But I can see the light coming Give it 6 months and I'll be bitching about the heat

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-09 05:21 am   Permalink

Here's a (slightly) better pic of the Tangaroan couple.

And here's my next piece in progress, again stretched canvas. The woodgrain was a happy accident with copper metallic paint and a crappy brush Going to be a hei tiki, in the style I did the Tangaroan couple in.

There is "good" bad taste, and there is "bad" bad taste, and the difference of the two is in the eye of the beholder - Sven Kirsten

[ This Message was edited by: hewey 2007-09-09 05:23 ]

Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-12 12:11 am   Permalink

Hei Hewey!
We got Pepsi Max here finally! Thought of you when I saw it at the store.
Got any progress on the Hei Tiki yet?

I mean, other than the wood looking background...

Buzzy Out!

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-12 12:17 am   Permalink

Oh yeah, I forgot to ask:

After doing the background wash, how do you rough sketch the figure out? It seems that it would be tough to get it right the first time, and it wouold be hard to recreate the background if you laid it out slightly off. Do you use pencil on it? Do you do a bunch of sketches to establish the composition, or just go to it out of what you see in your head?

Thank you for your time
Buzzy

hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-12 9:16 pm   Permalink

Hey Buzzy! Good to know you got Pepsi Max. Did you get Zaya some? No progress on the hei tiki yet, had lots of other things take my time (like old cars, and my brothers wedding in a couple of days). As far as sketching out - I'm still working out what I'me doing with that. For the couple I just freehanded it and hoped it came out okay. The only reference pic I had was the South Pacific map in the BoT opening spread, with a fingernail size Tangaroan. Not sure what I'll do with the hei tiki. Probably sketch out the design in the size I want, and have that directly next to the canvas as I paint, and hope for the best! I could sketch it with a pinstriping pencil (rubs off with water), but I think it would lose some of it's energy...

Sam Gambino
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-12 9:52 pm   Permalink

Can't wait to see it, hewey! Is it 1-Shot too?

View Profile of Sam Gambino Send a personal message to Sam Gambino  Email Sam Gambino Goto the website of Sam Gambino     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-12 11:50 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-09-12 21:52, Sam Gambino wrote:
Can't wait to see it, hewey! Is it 1-Shot too?

Yep

harro
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-13 07:50 am   Permalink

what's 1-shot???

Good to see ya keeping busy Hewey!

View Profile of harro Send a personal message to harro  Email harro     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-13 8:29 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-09-13 07:50, harro wrote:
what's 1-shot???

Good to see ya keeping busy Hewey!

1 Shot is a signwriting paint, and is the paint of choice for the majority of pinstripers too.

hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-18 11:47 pm   Permalink

Rat Fink!

Finally got around to painting a Fink Could be improved, but overall happy for a first attempt. You can't quite make it out in the pic, but the frame is brushed aluminium look.

oh, and this is where I painted it, yep thats an inch of water under the table
[/quote]

hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-25 03:03 am   Permalink

Hmmmm, been a while since I slung some paint! Moved house since then, and a lot of other changes in my life... hmmmmmmm...... anyway, things are pretty damn awesome overall now

Here's a tiki painting I did for my girl for Valentines Day. She's into tiki, her fave colour is green, and she loves leopard print Acrylic on canvas.

flynny
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-25 03:25 am   Permalink

Hi
The Tangaroan couple greet me every morning on the stairs. Cool work.
Regards
Flynny

View Profile of flynny Send a personal message to flynny  Email flynny     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation