FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Sycamore....any of the carvers tried this wood before?
Sycamore....any of the carvers tried this wood before?
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-12 6:04 pm   Permalink

I just scored a couple of very nice large sycamore logs and got them delivered to my home. I have a plan for each of them but am working on some smaller pine pieces now. I just wanted to see if any of you have carved sycamore before and could tell me anything about it.

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-13 08:12 am   Permalink

I've never tried it but have heard it is Great carving wood. Let us know how it chops..

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-13 08:26 am   Permalink

All I know about Sycamore is that it's a dense wood sometimes used for Butcher Blocks, and that it sometimes has a low tensile strength making it unsuitable for load bearing members.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-21 9:57 pm   Permalink

UPDATE: Well after completing the first sycamore project which became the big green Pisco bottle dude, I can whole heartedly recommend this tree to you as a good carving wood.
It is very heavy but I like it because it doesn't splinter much and the cracking was not bad either. The grain is smooth and it is a very light color which would accept stains well. Luckily today I found out that the place where I got my first 2 logs just had a tree service take down several more of these trees. I got there this evening after the crew had left so I couldn't have any custom sized lengths cut but I did manage to select 3 nice thick 2-3 footers from the pile they didn't have room to haul off today. I guess you could say that it was a "3 LOG NIGHT".
Now I just have to decide how to transform them.

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfinstro
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-07-21 10:17 pm   Permalink

Does anyone know what an average price of a 2-3 foot log would cost at a saw mill?

View Profile of surfinstro Send a personal message to surfinstro  Email surfinstro     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-21 10:19 pm   Permalink

Any wood that doesn't crack is all right with me. So, what's the plan for the next log?

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-22 12:26 pm   Permalink

'Tis a secret for now AA. Hopefully I can give you some hints as I go along and post in-process shots. It probably won't take you long to figure it out. So, Be patient.

U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation