FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Marketplace » » Enchanted Tiki Room Tikis - Is this for real?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Enchanted Tiki Room Tikis - Is this for real?
tiki1963
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-17 3:42 pm   Permalink

i checked out his auction and it does seem that they are marked. he also sez they are clay?..mabey these were for sale as the small ones are a cermaic type material too.

the large one i have is fiberglass and isn't marked so your theory sounds right.

they probably sold them in the tiki/trader hut. how'd you like to go back in time and pick a few of these off the shelf?......

View Profile of tiki1963 Send a personal message to tiki1963  Email tiki1963     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-17 5:11 pm   Permalink

No doubt! You start the financing - and I'll research it....

Actually - looks like these guys beat us to it:
http://web.mit.edu/adorai/timetraveler/

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
boutiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-17 7:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-05-17 15:42, tiki1963 wrote:
they probably sold them in the tiki/trader hut.

tiki1963, Is that image from an old postcard? Did they sell those tall black Tikis in the picture at Disney? I have one of those and never knew where it came from. I'm going to go look at it right now and check it again for any marks.
-Duke

View Profile of boutiki Send a personal message to boutiki  Goto the website of boutiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki1963
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-17 7:27 pm   Permalink

hey boutiki...

apparently, they carried them although i don't know if disney produced them. the pic is from a slide dating from the mid-sixties.

about 15-17 years ago i bought some really cool coco joe's style tiki masks from that hut that were made for disney so who knows.

here's a pic of one of the 'mini-me' tiki babies...these were also sold at the hut. i was told that these were all hand painted by a lady that was hired by walt personally. she worked out of her house in anaheim painting tiki god souviners full time! gotta love that disney sponsored slave-labor!

tang...

why not cut out the middle man on that one and time travel with tikibong?

View Profile of tiki1963 Send a personal message to tiki1963  Email tiki1963     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
boutiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-17 7:47 pm   Permalink

tiki1963, that little guy has haunted us for years. Back in '98 we were driving on route 30 through central Pennsylvania when we stopped in a little antique shop. There was one of those priced at $25. We thought it was too much money and not really THAT cool. We asked it they'd do better on the price, and when they said no, we walked. A year or two later, we were in the area again and decided we wanted that little Tiki after all, but of course he was gone. We regret having let that one go as we've never come across another.

I checked our tall black Tiki, and there are two marks on the bottom, but I can't make anything out. Still a cool piece with nice detail– and it's quite heavy. I like it even more now knowing it made the trip all the way from Disney to the Maxwell Street market in Chicago where we picked him up for five bucks.

-Duke

View Profile of boutiki Send a personal message to boutiki  Goto the website of boutiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki1963
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-17 9:11 pm   Permalink

oh man! if i had a tiki for every tiki that got away!

what is yours made of? the ones in the pic look like they're from some type of mold as they all have the same crack on the base. the masks i bought were some type of painted chalkware.

btw, i didn't realize i'm speaking with duke carter! man, your book is the best! i love the art direction especially. really shows the whole field of mug collecting as a fine art field. great stuff!

here's some pics of other disney tikis from that hut. the first is of another of the 'mini-me' tikis:

the next is of those masks:

here's another one from the hut! prob 60s....

and Tang, here's the posterior of my tang baby...as you can see, this kids arse is clean!

Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-18 09:23 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-05-17 21:11, tiki1963 wrote:
and Tang, here's the posterior of my tang baby...as you can see, this kids arse is clean!

Yes - a clean arse denotes a true DL prop, and not one for sale in my book.....

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
boutiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-18 09:31 am   Permalink

Quote:
On 2005-05-17 21:11, tiki1963 wrote:
what is yours made of? the ones in the pic look like they're from some type of mold as they all have the same crack on the base. the masks i bought were some type of painted chalkware.

Our tall black Tiki is very heavy, but it has fantastic detail so I'd guess it's a dense plaster. It's identical to the ones in your photo, has the "crack" and everything. I'll try to get a picture and post it.

Thanks for the kind words about Tiki Quest. It's nice to hear that the book accomplishes what we wanted it to do.

Your vintage Disney Tiki stuff is all very cool. Those of you who have a bunch of the old Disney stuff should compile photos and post them all on one thread in the collecting forum. I'd love to see all the different Tikis they offered and I'm sure others would as well.

-Duke

Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-18 09:43 am   Permalink

[quote]
On 2005-05-18 09:31, boutiki wrote:
Quote:

Your vintage Disney Tiki stuff is all very cool. Those of you who have a bunch of the old Disney stuff should compile photos and post them all on one thread in the collecting forum. I'd love to see all the different Tikis they offered and I'm sure others would as well.

-Duke

Some of my (and tiki1963's) stuff was offered... and erm....some of it wasn't....! Do you want to see things that were for sale only?

boutiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-18 10:15 am   Permalink

Quote:

Do you want to see things that were for sale only?

Hell no. Show us everything you got.

-Duke

tiki1963
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-18 10:27 am   Permalink

you buy, i'll fly.....

Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-18 10:30 am   Permalink

Ha! OK - but I will have to take some photos...... I can't speak for tiki1963 - but I will be happy to share some of my collection with TC.

tiki1963
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-18 11:42 am   Permalink

well, sure...i'd be happy to join in!

TikiPhil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-18 12:35 pm   Permalink

When the Enchanted Tiki Room first opened it actually didn't belong to Disneyland, but was owned by WED Enterprises. Guests to Disneyland even had to pay an extra $0.75 to see the show.

Could these tikis that are stamped "C 1962 WED ENTERPRISES" be souvenirs sold by WED vice Disneyland when the Tiki Room first opened?

View Profile of TikiPhil Send a personal message to TikiPhil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-18 3:17 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-05-18 12:35, TikiPhil wrote:
When the Enchanted Tiki Room first opened it actually didn't belong to Disneyland, but was owned by WED Enterprises. Guests to Disneyland even had to pay an extra $0.75 to see the show.

Hi TikiPhil -
I was about to contridict you - but a quick check of 'The Nickel Tour' turns out you are correct! WED operated the Monorail too for a time I believe... I wonder when it was that rights reverted to the park itself?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation