FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Marketplace » » Enchanted Tiki Room Tikis - Is this for real?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Enchanted Tiki Room Tikis - Is this for real?
tiki1963
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-18 3:36 pm   Permalink

nerd alert!!

...actually, these were all owned/operated by RETLAW. WED was also a peronally held company by walt, thus the funky acronyms. the difference was the trains were actually leased by disneyland from walt where the tiki room leased space from disneyland. that's why you had to buy seperate tickets for the first couple of years. the dough went straight to WED/RETLAW.

it must have been a fiasco because United Airlines used "disneyland" in their advertising even though they sponsored the Tiki Room owned by WED.

basically, every time Walt was impatient for the Disney board to support his experiments, he just did it himself and charged 'em for it. man, i love Walt!

i'm sure Roy Disney just loved the end-runs his feisty young brother would pull!

TikiPhil- i wondered about that copyright issue myself since Tiki Room items from that period go back and forth between Walt Disney Productions copyrights and WED copyrights. the small tikis have WDP on them but the original attraction poster and even the Tiki Room clothing fabric are all copyright WED.

go figure...

View Profile of tiki1963 Send a personal message to tiki1963  Email tiki1963     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiPhil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-18 9:37 pm   Permalink

Tangaroa and tiki1963 - you guys should write a book on the Tiki Room. I'm sure Duke would help if you asked him

A couple of years ago Disney Editions put out a book on the Haunted Mansion to coincide with the movie. As hot as tiki is now, I'm sure an Enchanted Tiki Room book would be a big hit.

Maybe Disney has already thought of this but they're waiting for the Tiki Room Movie to be produced first

View Profile of TikiPhil Send a personal message to TikiPhil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
No Ka Oi
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-05-19 01:40 am   Permalink

O Todd Hackett to'u i'oa.
As a former employee of Disneyland and r.o. at the Enchanted Tiki Room presented by our friends at Dole Pineapple, this is what I learned at the turnstyle -

WED designed and operated the Tiki Room for the first three years of its operation. Sometime in late 1965 the studio - flushed with Poppins dough, acquired WED and created MAPO. The Tiki Room was part of the deal. BTW, The Tiki Room didn't become an "E" Coupon attraction until 1966. The copyright on the Tiki Room Poster was changed to WDP when they printed the '67 version.

Retlaw was separate from WED and created when Disneyland was merged into WDP sometime in the early 60s. Disneyland, Inc. was not a subsidary of the studio when created. It was a separate enterprise (at Roy's insistence- in case in went $$ belly up) with ABC/Paramount, Walt Disney and Western Printing each owning about 33% of the Park. The studio bought ABC/Par & Western Printing out and most of Walt's share. Walt retained ownership of the Sante Fe Trains and the tracks (!) and created Retlaw to run them. In 1959 he added the Monorail trains to Retlaw. Retlaw never owned or ran the Tiki Room.

When I worked there in the 70s Retlaw employees we're considered working personally for the Walt Disney Family and a cut above us low rent jungle boys. Retlaw kept all receipts from the trains, which was around 4 million a year. Retlaw sold the Trains, the Monorail and Walt's name to WDP right before Eisner took over in 1983 for around 44 million.

Retlaw family members Lillian and Diane then in turn gave a big chunk of the money to the Walt Disney Concert Hall. BTW, Retlaw still exists today mainly to manage Walt's family investments.
Nana.

View Profile of No Ka Oi Send a personal message to No Ka Oi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
No Ka Oi
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-05-19 01:46 am   Permalink

Ia Orana Tiki1963 and Tangaroa! O Todd Hackett to'u i'oa.

I forgot to add that I have known KonaCat/Tiki Dug for over 20 years, and if he says they're real, they are. BTW, I do remember seeing in the Bazaar the smaller Tikis for sale when I worked there.

Tahuwai la a tahuwai wai la, Ehu hene la a pili koo lua la, Pututui lua ite toe la, Hanu lipo ita paalai. Au we ta hua la. Au we ta hua la.

View Profile of No Ka Oi Send a personal message to No Ka Oi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-19 08:27 am   Permalink

Hey Todd!

You know tiki1963 & I know Dug too - I don't think we are saying they aren't "real" - I'm just not personally sure if they came off the Tangaroa tree in the attraction.... What that means I dunno - I just don't know why something would be stamped "©WED" if it was a prop in the show. Something for sale makes more sense to me - but once again, I don't really know - I'm just speculating!

My Maui "Sun God" isn't stamped "©WED" - and I know it came from the Tahitian Terrace A Frame...

Dug also mentioned that Shag has some of these (or did he mean the small ones tiki1963 mentioned earlier?) Maybe he wants to weigh in?

In any case - these are full size, hand painted "Tangaroa babies" - and very very rare. Which probably makes them worth the prices Dug is asking!

Tiki Room collectors - now is your chance!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29460&item=3974642136&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29460&item=3974643286&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29460&item=3974645025&rd=1

P.S. Todd Hackett - nice info on the WED/RETLAW details! Geez - next you'll be telling us about tickets or something!

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki1963
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-19 10:17 am   Permalink

in the words of my hero, Gabriel Koerner, i think we should chalk these up as real and rare and forget about this whole, "trekkies/trekker debacle"!

word.

View Profile of tiki1963 Send a personal message to tiki1963  Email tiki1963     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-20 08:35 am   Permalink

Until I get some photos taken of my collection (which pales sadly in comparison to tiki1963's) here's a repost of thsoe pics I posted earlier, buried deep in the Tiki Room rehab thread.....

[quote]
On 2005-02-07 20:20, Tangaroa wrote:
Tikicutie - a lot of that audio (both Anaheim & Florida) is available through traders for free - try not to pay for it if you can help it, as most Disneyland audio traders gladly help for free...

Barker Bird got me thinking about that A-Frame, and how it really took away from a great entrance icon once it fell down. So I thought I'd dig in my archives a little and show some photographic evidence of what it once looked like, plus some other fun collectables...

Here's a United Airlines children's menu, for California-bound passengers - circa 1963. The Enchanted Tiki Room was a huge promotional deal for Disneyland, being the first true audio-animatronics show they had done for the public...

It was advertised heavily within the park - gracing the cover of this 1963 gate flyer. I love the original Tiki Room font - very similar to the new Ed Benquiat font 'Interlock', put out by House Industries:
http://houseind.com/house.php?kit=EDFONT-FO

In the first year of operation, the ETR was considered such a special attraction, you couldn't even use an "E" Ticket on it - you had to purchase a special separate one!

This early sign leading to the entrance was wonderfully hand-lettered...

detail...

But looking at these photos, I really realized how much the now-missing A-Frame was a strong icon for the entrance. I mean - it is easy to miss the entryway as you truck along into Adventureland!

Detail - the God Uti stood on top of the outrigger canoe, housed inside the A-Frame. At night his torch would be lit. Eagle eyed TC'ers may see the 'Cargoes By Carter' tiki from a previous post in the background.

Another view - today's entrance really doesn't have the same impact it once did. I know I'm nit picking - sorry! I'm very glad they are spending the money to rehab it as thoroughly as they are!

The flowers in the outrigger were a nice touch.

Here's a kinda moody shot, without any people around. It doesn't show the A-Frame well, but I still like it. Disneyland really is more magical without the crowds.

Tikicutie - here's the Barker Bird in his original location, you can show your boss if he's unsure of which bird he was!

The information from the back of that publicity shot. How many of you knew his name was 'Juan'? I had always thought he was Jose - talking to us prior to the show. Wally Boag used the same voice, so you'd think they were the same bird...

Speaking of Jose - here's an opening year glossy of him. I can't wait to see the interior again without the years of caked-on dust!

Finally - here's a couple of opening day shots of Walt showing off the show. He looks very proud here - I'm sure he'd be very happy to know that it made it to Disneyland's 50th!

"Ya know - someday they'll figure out how to keep these darn things from clacking so loud.. Maybe some sort of futuristic fiber... yeah - that's it..."

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
No Ka Oi
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-05-21 10:43 am   Permalink

Juan is Jose's cousin Tangaroa.

Here's the first E Coupon to the Enchanted Tiki Room from 1966.

Tahuwai la a tahuwai wai la, Ehu hene la a pili koo lua la, Pututui lua ite toe la, Hanu lipo ita paalai. Au we ta hua la. Au we ta hua la.

Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-22 7:29 pm   Permalink

Cool! Thanks for sharing Mr. T!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation