[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving New from Palama Tiki 5/16/2005
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
New from Palama Tiki 5/16/2005
Palama Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-16 06:06 am   Permalink

Hey Gang:

thanks to our corporate office's enforcement of the 'no internet surfing at work' policy, and being without a home computer until this weekend, i've had to quit TC cold turkey for the last couple of weeks... talk about withdrawal symptoms! this site is as addictive as carving! anyway, here's the latest... a two-foot stylized version of Tongaroa carved from Sabal Palm.

here he is lounging about at our daughter's and son-in-law's brand new home by the pool.

and here's Palama Tiki posing with Tongaroa prior to giving him away... i had taken him over to their house to shoot some photos, but he looked so at home there, i ended up leaving him with daughter and son-in-law.

thanks for looking, and it's really nice to be back!

[ This Message was edited by: Palama Tiki on 2005-05-16 06:07 ]

View Profile of Palama Tiki Send a personal message to Palama Tiki  Email Palama Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-16 06:30 am   Permalink

With pics like that it is nice to have you back! Nice tiki!

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-16 07:10 am   Permalink

Very cool, I like the finish on him.

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-16 12:43 pm   Permalink

Palama, you've gotten real good real fast. I really like the 2-tone aspect of the different palm wood layers - came out great!

A-A

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-16 4:02 pm   Permalink

Again, nice control with the woog grain layers. With oak, the inside is darker, so its cool to see the reverse effect.

It looked larger than two feet until the pic with you posing next to it. Nice work.

http://www.NiceFishy.com

View Profile of Raffertiki Send a personal message to Raffertiki  Email Raffertiki Goto the website of Raffertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-16 4:29 pm   Permalink

Hey I third Aaron and Raffer, the 2 tone effect is really great. You should plan more of those. Also agree you have developed very fast into a good tiki carver. Don't stay away too long again or the heavy withdrawall symptoms could be much worse. But, if it means we get to see more excellent work like this, maybe you should take another 2 or 3 weeks away from TC..

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-16 5:36 pm   Permalink

I agree with everyone PalamaTiki...very cool
tiki...and my company imposed the "no
personal web use" edict too...that is really
tough when you have to squeeze work into
our tiki day.

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Palama Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-16 5:37 pm   Permalink

Hewey, Fink, A-A, Raffer, Benz: Thanks so much for the kind words and support.. that's what keeps me carving away. The first time that i carved into sabal palm, i was very pleasantly surprised by the two-tone wood. and the inner wood is actually creamy white; it turns golden brown once i apply the polyurethane. anyone have any ideas as to how to preserve the wood while not changing the color of the wood?

Thanks again, and now that we've finally replaced the home computer that got fried last summer, i'll be hanging around TC again and getting my daily fix.

View Profile of Palama Tiki Send a personal message to Palama Tiki  Email Palama Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Palama Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-16 5:41 pm   Permalink

Congatiki: thanks for the props... i'll tell ya... after having free reign on the ol' company computer for the past several years, that policy really hurt. what's this world coming to....????

purple jade
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-16 6:34 pm   Permalink

Please feel free to take pictures of your tikis and then leave them in my yard anytime!
I really like that guy, something different but still traditional looking.

View Profile of purple jade Send a personal message to purple jade  Email purple jade Goto the website of purple jade     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Palama Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-16 6:46 pm   Permalink

thanks, purple jade; i'm glad that you like him. so what style of tiki do you want for your yard?

right after i told my daugher/son-in-law that they could keep him, my wife says, "i can't believe you gave away a tiki", and i said, "i can't believe it either!"

rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-16 7:02 pm   Permalink

very cool , that guys is on my list of ones I want to carve.
Thanks for the extra inspiration.

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Palama Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-16 7:11 pm   Permalink

thanks, Rodeotiki... i was inspired by Gecko's superb Tongaroa, but obviously came nowhere near the craftmanship that Geck possesses. but he was fun to carve, and i guess that's what it's all about... that and the hokey pokey.

Thanatos
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-17 3:47 pm   Permalink

wOW Stuff is looking great. Yeah i have been inspired by a few people here!

View Profile of Thanatos Send a personal message to Thanatos  Email Thanatos     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Palama Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-17 5:56 pm   Permalink

Mahalo Thanatos... there's inspiration everywhere you look on this site. i'm digging your flaming tikis too! as a matter of fact, i was working on a new one this evening that i'm about ready to set on fire!

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation