FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » What is your favorite hand lime juicer?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
What is your favorite hand lime juicer?
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-16 4:11 pm   Permalink

I have been wanting to get one of the hand lime juicer/squeezers for some time now but really want to get a GOOD one.

I already have the mechanized juicer for tall orders but I have nothing for a single drink or two.

Any recommendations? I have seen some folks put the 1/2 lime in backwards and juice it. Which method works best for you?

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-16 6:21 pm   Permalink

backwards!

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-bot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-16 6:32 pm   Permalink

Hey MM, you're talking about these things, right? You can get them at any "Pottery Barrel".

I always put the half lime in "backwards", with the cut side facing the holes in the concave part.

View Profile of Tiki-bot Send a personal message to Tiki-bot  Email Tiki-bot     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Moki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-16 6:40 pm   Permalink

I have the same one, but it's yellow & bigger for lemons. I've found the smaller green one is only big enough for small limes and key limes.

I think I found mine at Target.

View Profile of Moki Send a personal message to Moki  Email Moki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Doctor Z
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-16 7:26 pm   Permalink

They also make a larger one in orange, for, well, oranges!

They are by far the best juicers I've used. A lot better (and less messy) than a reamer, plus you get the oils from the peel that I'm always going on about!

Be careful, however: I use mine a lot and I've already busted 2 of these (a green/lime and a yellow/lemon) by squeezing too hard on a lime that was hard as a rock. I know it's tempting to buy that big-ass bag o'limes at CostCo/Sams Club, but they're usually pretty dense and it's much more worth your time to track down a neighborhood grocer or Farmer's Market for limes instead. Otherwise, if your limes aren't 'soft' enough, be sure to roll 'em a bit before squeezing.

Fortunately, these juicers must have some sort of warranty on them, as the place that I bought them from (Cookin' Stuff in Torrance) happily exchanged them for new ones, even though I'd purchased them months before and didn't even have the receipt!

The green one is a mite small, but the yellow one is the ideal size and has got the Good Doctor's seal of approval for most/all your drink juicin' needs!
Ask for it by name!

View Profile of Doctor Z Send a personal message to Doctor Z  Email Doctor Z     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-16 7:29 pm   Permalink

Get a vintage solid metal Juice King. Don't pay over $10 for one. That is solid and easy crank. Pop it down and you have all the juice ein that sucker! Forget plastic and forget hand squeezing. Use good old cranked steel.

I put my daughter on jioce detail or ice crushing detail.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-16 8:17 pm   Permalink

I'm with Z.

Although with as many limes and lemons as I squeeze through the yellow metal contraption, I recently crushed the hand of a professional football player during a friendly handshake and he sued me for loss of wages.

Thank goodness I'm a billionaire.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-16 10:40 pm   Permalink

thanks everybody. just what I needed to know

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-17 6:22 pm   Permalink

I too have a Juice King but I don't like messing it up by actually using it! The thing was mint when I bought it and if no one used it when it was new I figured I'd just keep the streak going!

Instead, I use a Sunbeam electric juicer that I bought at one of those bargain outlet places - I paid $9.00 for it and have definitely gotten my money's worth. I buy those big ass bags of limes, when available, and juice them all at one time! Sure it doesn't look cool or proper in a tiki bar that's why I always do my juicing in the kitchen alongside the toaster and coffee maker...

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Quince_at_Dannys
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-20 1:11 pm   Permalink

Get the OrangeX Juicer! Either the Medium or the large. Nice handle with an effortless snap-action that comes straight down for maximum leverage and minimum danger of tipover. It'll set you back over 100 clams, but gawd is it good. I've never missed a penny of that money well-spent.

View Profile of Quince_at_Dannys Send a personal message to Quince_at_Dannys      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-20 2:14 pm   Permalink

I got one very similar looking to the one Tikibot posted of picture of.

It was from Crate and Barrel (I had a gift certificate - the lime squeezer and a can opener came to $25! ouch!).

Like Dr Z., I used the thing twice and the hinge broke. Don't know my own strength. That, or these things just use a really crappy aluminum bolt through the hinge that a baby could break.

They gave me a new one, but now I am scared to squeeze it too hard.

I may go blind, or something.

JT

http://www.tydirium.net
Tiki Bar Review Pages / Tiki Road Trip / Left Orbit Temple

[ This Message was edited by: tikibars on 2005-05-20 14:15 ]

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
captnkirk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-23 3:45 pm   Permalink

I use one just like the green one except it is cast aluminum, not plastic.

They come from mexico, you can find one in most kitchen store for under $10

http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/pDetail.asp?i=3&p=55

View Profile of captnkirk Send a personal message to captnkirk  Goto the website of captnkirk     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-26 2:55 pm   Permalink

Just used my green metal one to squeeze 18 key limes last night, did the job very nicely!

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-05-29 11:53 am   Permalink

The yellow or green hand squeezers do break easily (no wonder, it's made in China), so I use my old Juice-O-Mat nowadays. The nice thing about this contraption is the pour spout in the juice receptacle that makes it easy to pour the juice into a measuring glass. With the hand squeezers it's hard to squeeze the juice into a small measuring glass without spilling some (unless you juice into a bigger container first, or straight into a shaker).

The Juice-O-Mat came in 2 types, a taller one without a built-in receptacle and a shorter one with a built-in container which looks more streamlined. They are pretty easy to find for around $10.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrs. pineapple
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-29 4:24 pm   Permalink

We have all 3 squeezers that Mr. Bot posted, (lime, lemon, orange) they were on sale at Sur La Table, and they're metal, and we've squeezed A LOT of fruit, and they're still going strong. I've squeezed the 24 lemons and oranges for Trader Vic's punch, and I only had to stop and rest once, on the lemons.Then I sent him into the neighbors yardfor riper lemons, the store boughts were too hard
mrs. p

View Profile of mrs. pineapple Send a personal message to mrs. pineapple      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation