FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Tiki Archaeology - Rummy's Polynesian House, Monocacy & Douglassville, PA
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Tiki Archaeology - Rummy's Polynesian House, Monocacy & Douglassville, PA
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-12 08:52 am   Permalink

I saw the matchbook up on eBay, right now; adding the pics.

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
captnkirk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-14 04:52 am   Permalink

This is what Rummys looks like today according to Google street maps.
They fixed it up a little, but it is still a strip club.

View Profile of captnkirk Send a personal message to captnkirk  Goto the website of captnkirk     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-10 3:12 pm   Permalink

I tried for this matchbook from the Rummy's in Monocacy on ebay a while ago. It provides a nice rendering of what I am assuming was the sign outside the restaurant.

Another one of the shield/Tiki/Torch combos. Would be great to find a photo of this bad boy.

Back of the book.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-06 4:25 pm   Permalink

I finally got the postcard from Rummy's Polynesian House.

Some close ups confirm it had all of the classic Poly Pop elements - bamboo, lauhala, murals, Leetegs, Puffer Fish, fishnet globes and Tikis.

The outside was a little sparse, but the front doors did have two big Tikis.

The proprietor was Warren "Rummy" Steinle.

I found and article on-line about Rummy's wife, Marian Steinle, who was 101 years old in September of 2011. If contained the following information:

Rummy (a nickname alternately explained by his love of a card game, rum mixed in his cocktails or childhood stories) loved life, enjoyed people and decided to be in the vanguard of the Polynesian-themed restaurant craze of the '50s '60s and '70s.

"One time he went to a Trader Vic's (a popular national chain) and said, 'That's the kind of restaurant I'm going to have,' " Steinle said. "After that, he was always bringing back what he called his 'artifacts' from around the world to decorate the place."

What was once simply Rummy's Tavern (the business was open from 1941 to 1989) became Rummy's Polynesian House.

It was decorated with fish tanks, bamboo, tiki wooden statuary, blowfish lights and even a life-sized flexible manikin of an American Indian at the bar.

I also found some news print ads for Rummy's extending from the early 1960s to the late 1980s.

Here is an article about an attempted Tiki theft in 1972 with gun play!

And an article from 1989 when it sold. Opened in 1941 and switched to Tiki in 1961.

Nice to finally get some history on this one.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-06 6:18 pm   Permalink

Wonderful post and history, DC. Sort of the story of Polynesian pop in a nutshell.

What do I spy, with my Tiki eye?: The mural is classic Matson menu. The door post Tiki on the left could be a Guanko.

And the Tikis painted on the doors: On the left we have the Islander LA menu Tiki, and on the right one of the two Langermann's Luau Tikis.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-28 10:34 am   Permalink

A hula girl swizzle from the Polynesian House.

And Puamana's menu photos re-posted to counter the dreaded Red X.

Now where have I seen that drink menu art before?

DC

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-27 1:58 pm   Permalink

Got this really nice place-mat from Rummy's Polynesian House.

These place-mats are hard to come by, being fragile.

Some close ups.

The specialty drink

Rendering of the sign

The building. Looks like a Buddha was added to the front of the building.

Which explains the image on the matchbook.

DC

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-27 2:10 pm   Permalink

Wow, nice find! This drives home again the fact that paper place mats are potentially the most promising source of Tki Temple graphics after menus, yet they are the rarest one. While menus, postcards, matchbooks and even cocktail napkins were saved as mementos of a special night out, placemats were usually tossed, as due to their nature they ended up getting crumpled or stained during dinner.

Fragile indeed, they truly are "paper ephemera".

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2012-10-27 14:13 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-20 7:42 pm   Permalink

I just got a cool die-cut menu from Rummy's with a blue Tiki on the cover.

Now where have I seen that before?

DC

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation