FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving What to do with all the monkeypod pineapple bowls you find!
What to do with all the monkeypod pineapple bowls you find!
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-19 09:00 am   Permalink

I made this a while back and don't remember why I didn't share it sooner...

The majority of items used to make it were thrift store finds...the bowl, the aloha shirt fabric from a size small shirt, the tin candle mold (or whatever it is). The palm trees came from a store that sells cake making supplies and decorations. The Coco Joe's tiki was purchased in a lot off Ebay nearly 5 years ago. The lava rocks supporting the display came from the inside of my father-in-laws grill.

All in all I think it came out pretty good... I've got about 10 other pineapple bowls that I'm planning to do some different themes with - if I ever get some spare time. Originally I planned to make the first one using a mini bottle of Demarara rum I found at an antique store guarded by 2 mini tikis from a couple keychains but I didn't... that one's gonna be next.

Whaddaya think?

Aloha from the enchanted Pi Yi Grotto in exotic Bel Air Maryland!

[ This Message was edited by: johntiki on 2005-05-20 22:46 ]

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-19 09:08 am   Permalink

That's a really nice idea. That's the kind of thing I need to learn how to do. Maybe I'll go thrifting this weekend. Thanks for sharing!

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pomaika i
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-19 09:45 am   Permalink

That looks great!

View Profile of Pomaika i Send a personal message to Pomaika i      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-19 11:09 am   Permalink

Cool! What a great idea!

All the pineapple bowls I see are monkeypod. I keep my eyes peeled for anything Koa, they must be the expensive fancy ones no one wants to give away up here.

-Tw

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
purple jade
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-19 11:25 am   Permalink

Needs a light!

View Profile of purple jade Send a personal message to purple jade  Email purple jade Goto the website of purple jade     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-19 12:07 pm   Permalink

Oops my mistake - you're right Tikiwahine the bowl is monkeypod... I don't even know if I have a koa pineapple.

Purple Jade you're thinking along the same lines I am! Not only does it need a light, which will definitely be included in future assemblage "pineapple boxes", but I've had this wacky idea involving one of the carved monkeypod palm leaves with the seperated sections... I haven't quite pieced the idea together in its entirety but just imagine the leaf mounted to the wall and each seperate chamber acting as a mini pool for a cascading waterfall... now that would be sweet!

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Alnshely
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-19 12:33 pm   Permalink

John,
Great minds think alike. I always wonder what I could make out of the mountain of Monkeypod dishes I see in the thrift stores. How about wind chimes?

Here are four lovely Wahines dancing around the pink tiki. All are Xmas ornaments.
Mahalo,
Al

View Profile of Alnshely Send a personal message to Alnshely  Email Alnshely     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-19 12:40 pm   Permalink

Very cool . I see these bowls and never get them cause I had no use for one. Now I am off to get some for sure.
Thanks for the ideas.

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-19 2:51 pm   Permalink

monkeypod palm leaves! Are those dishes too? or strictly ornamental? (I have a thing for tropical foliage)

And that's a super ornament/windchime/pineapple bowl hangar thingy Al! very, very cool.

Do you remember sam's pinstriped bowl? THAT was cool!

I feel guilty about noise in my backyard, what with having a huge barking dog and all.
I found a green copper salmon skeleton wind chime, but took the bell part out so that it would be quiet.

I think maybe I'm worrying too much!

-Tw

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-19 3:45 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the idea Al, I'm definitely gonna do the same with one of mine... but the problem is if I make the windchime I'll only have 299 pineapple bowls left!

U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation