FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Palama's Tiki #7 Update on Pg. 2 5/24/05
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Palama's Tiki #7 Update on Pg. 2 5/24/05
Palama Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-23 05:29 am   Permalink

well, here's the latest; i really liked Raffertiki's Woo the Protector (aka Loincloth guy) and asked Raffer if i could attempt to replicate it. he gave me the go-ahead, so i tried him out in yellow pine. obviously, i didn't come anywhere close to Raffer's work, but it was a good lesson in carving pine vs. palm. about a quarter of the way thru, i was about to throw him on the burn pile; the wood was flaking off like a laminate and i got so frustrated with him that i decided that no one would see him; it would just be a lesson in carving a different type of wood. as soon as i relaxed, he started shaping up.

i didn't attempt Raffer's signature crossed arms.. maybe another time.

here's a close-up of the grain, after staining and 2 coats of Minwax Clearshield:

anyway, thanks Raffer for the inspiration!

[ This Message was edited by: Palama Tiki on 2005-05-24 15:45 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Palama Tiki on 2005-05-24 15:51 ]

View Profile of Palama Tiki Send a personal message to Palama Tiki  Email Palama Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-23 06:50 am   Permalink

Looks Good Palamatiki. I know that yellow pine is kantankerous to carve sometimes and a Lot harder than palm.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Palama Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-23 3:41 pm   Permalink

Thanks Benz... i've got a few more pine logs so i'll keep chipping away.

View Profile of Palama Tiki Send a personal message to Palama Tiki  Email Palama Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-23 4:03 pm   Permalink

great job palama tiki...looks like the bugger is sweating under the summer sun...
gotta use that minwax stuff on my latest...
good effort as usual!

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-23 6:02 pm   Permalink

Relax a bit and it all comes together! I love the color on him!

Good job there - I would love to have something like that in my garden! Keep dpoing more!

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-23 6:47 pm   Permalink

Palama,

He looks like a good solid tiki, especially considering the tough time he gave you. My one attempt at pine ended up at the curb. Yours is definatly a keeper. Keep it up.

View Profile of Raffertiki Send a personal message to Raffertiki  Email Raffertiki Goto the website of Raffertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Palama Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-23 7:14 pm   Permalink

Thanks, Conga, Hewey, and Raffer! i used a Minwax Special Walnut stain and a few coats of the Minwax Clearshield.

Congatiki, he was definitely sweating; it was almost 90 yesterday when i took the photo.

yeah, Hewey, i REALLY need to relax!

So Raffer, what type of wood was Woo carved from?

Thanks again gang!

Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-23 7:21 pm   Permalink

I've been playing with oak lately. On both Woo, and the new guy.

View Profile of Raffertiki Send a personal message to Raffertiki  Email Raffertiki Goto the website of Raffertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Palama Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-23 7:25 pm   Permalink

Raffer, i've got some oak pieces laying around, but wasn't sure how they'd carve up. guess i might have to try some. also have some cedar that i'd like to try.

any experience with cedar anyone?

Polynesiac
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-05-23 9:02 pm   Permalink

NIce looking tiki, palama

cedar smells nice...and my neighbors termites loved it! Never had a chance to carve it...bummer...it smelled so nice...

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sam Gambino
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-23 9:44 pm   Permalink

Very nice Palama. Keep up the good work!

View Profile of Sam Gambino Send a personal message to Sam Gambino  Email Sam Gambino Goto the website of Sam Gambino     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-23 10:51 pm   Permalink

Most excellent! You can really learn a lot trying to replicate the work of other experienced artists. Let's see some more pine!

A-A

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OnoTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-05-24 12:30 am   Permalink

Wow looks good to me, nice work and looks lik eit will fit in your yard nicely too.

OnoTiki

View Profile of OnoTiki Send a personal message to OnoTiki  Email OnoTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Palama Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-24 04:21 am   Permalink

Thanks for all the props Polynesiac, Sam, A-A and OnoTiki! all of you guys keep me going...

hmmmm.... i thought cedar was insect-proof? well, i may give it a try anyway.

A-A, more pine on the way, but first there's another tiki i want to try out in the sabal palm. and my daughter and i have finally decided on a Moai for the AAC block, so i may be getting into that soon.

thanks again for all the comments and inspiration!

finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-24 05:49 am   Permalink

That looks really nice. Love the color and the grain. Cant wait to see more. I almost always want to throw away my carvings at some point because they don't look how I imagined them to be. But eventually they get through the akward stage to become tikis. Keep it up!

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation