[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Cinerama South Seas Adventure
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Cinerama South Seas Adventure
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-23 12:29 pm   Permalink

I want to see this movie, and so do a lot of cinerama film enthusiasts. Seems the prints are lost. If you find one, or your uncle has one in the attic, please let the world know.

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-23 4:38 pm   Permalink

Way cool set of vintage movie posters!!!!!!!!!!

View Profile of Digitiki Send a personal message to Digitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2005-05-23 8:05 pm   Permalink

Let me know if you find that film. I would also love to see it. I think Don The Beachcomber has a small part in it.

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-23 9:27 pm   Permalink

I would love to see that. I would actually make it out to LA just to see it at the dome.

As far as I can tell there are only two Cinerama theaters left in the US. One in Seattle and the pretty famous one in Los Angeles. The LA theater has screened multi-projector Cinerama films recently. Maybe give those guys a buzz and they could point you in the right direction to un-earth this print. You can find a link to them on the other blog I go bananas over

http://cinematreasures.org/theater/33/

Let me know if you make any progress.

View Profile of donhonyc Send a personal message to donhonyc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-26 3:05 pm   Permalink

Didn't they screen that in the LA one last year? I was outta town...

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-26 3:17 pm   Permalink

I don't think they did, bigbro. I was fortunate enough to get to see This is Cinerama! at the Seattle Cinerama theater, and it was beyond fantastic. I've been trying to keep an eye on the LA Cinerama, hoping for a similar Cinerama film fest, but I don't think they've done one down here in a few years, which I find surprising. Regardless, my understanding is that the South Seas Cinerama film is lost (hopefully someday someone will stumble across a print), and doesn't even get shown during the Cinerama festivals.

If anyone hears of original Cinerama films being shown at the Arclight, I'd love a heads-up. And naturally, if this particular one shows up somewhere, I REALLY want to hear about it!

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-05-26 3:39 pm   Permalink

I would also like to know if any Cinerama films show at Arclight in the future, as I would be willing to drive to LA to see one.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZebraTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-26 11:01 pm   Permalink

More Cinerama South Seas posters for your enjoyment:

View Profile of ZebraTiki Send a personal message to ZebraTiki  Email ZebraTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-28 01:37 am   Permalink

I have the music score of that film with another great cover.
The LP was issued in 1981 on Citadel Records.

Music by Alex North (who also did "Journey into fear", "A street car named Desire", "Viva Zapata", "Spartacus", "Cleopatra", "Who's afraid of Virginia Woolf"...)

[ This Message was edited by: virani on 2005-05-28 01:40 ]

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-28 11:21 am   Permalink

I find it amazing that such a recent film can become "lost".

View Profile of Sweet Daddy Tiki Send a personal message to Sweet Daddy Tiki  Goto the website of Sweet Daddy Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-30 12:22 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-05-28 11:21, Sweet Daddy Tiki wrote:
I find it amazing that such a recent film can become "lost".

In fact, the movie is from 1958. And I have another music version of it from Dagored label (2003)

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-30 3:40 pm   Permalink

To me 1958 is relatively recent. I think of lost movies as being pre-talkies (1927). Did you know that about 90% of all silent movies have been lost?

blog

View Profile of Sweet Daddy Tiki Send a personal message to Sweet Daddy Tiki  Goto the website of Sweet Daddy Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CallDon
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-03-29 9:30 pm   Permalink

[quote]
On 2005-05-30 12:22, virani wrote:
Quote:

In fact, the movie is from 1958. And I have another music version of it from Dagored label (2003)

Has anyone found out if this is available on DVD yet?? I can't find it anywhere.

D*

View Profile of CallDon Send a personal message to CallDon  Email CallDon Goto the website of CallDon     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-30 05:12 am   Permalink

I've a copy of the booklet, others here do too. Here's the cover and a couple of the pages.

View Profile of Bongo Bungalow Send a personal message to Bongo Bungalow  Email Bongo Bungalow Goto the website of Bongo Bungalow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-30 09:31 am   Permalink

I checked the UCLA FIlm Archives and they don't have it. Maybe it really is lost and gone forever. Sad if true.

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation