FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Sabina and Mike's California Coastal Crawl- May & June '05!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Sabina and Mike's California Coastal Crawl- May & June '05!
Sabina
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2005-05-27 8:25 pm   Permalink

Last night was a blast! It was great to meet up with local TCers, (and finally putting faces to names.) No matter where we go, Tikiphiles are just the kindest, most knowledgeable folks.

The Bali Hai is truely a treasure. Folks may think it may not have a high TIPSY factor, but there are hidden gems, and between the history of the place, and the excellent service, the Aloha vibe is still definitely present!

Gotta watch that second Navy Grog, though, it's a doozy!

After puupuus and deserts, we headed down to the gardens for a little Urban archeology. Sure enough, our 'local guides' helped us find exactly the Tikis we never knew existed and had missed two years ago!

Here a some pix from last night-
http://www.sevenpleasures.org/gallery/Crawl-San-Diego

(If it appears we missed some of the Bali Hai's most striking features, it's because we had also checked it out last week and taken more pix- which I hope to get up soon.)

View Profile of Sabina Send a personal message to Sabina  Goto the website of Sabina     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PapeToaTane
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-27 8:35 pm   Permalink

Sounds (and looks!) like you're having a great time!! Love the reports!! Keep us posted as you come north toward the City of Angels!

View Profile of PapeToaTane Send a personal message to PapeToaTane  Email PapeToaTane Goto the website of PapeToaTane     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
oaktiki

Posted: 2005-05-29 12:19 am   Permalink

Quote:
On 2005-05-24 01:54, Sabina wrote:
For the next month or so, Mike (who hasn't really found his Tiki central name yet, but has been Tiki Traveling right alongside me) and I will be doing a laid back crawl from San Diego up towards Sacramento, then slowly back home towards Maryland.

Okay, after an afternoon watching and videoing an orgy of tiki carving, inspiration has finally struck and the question of what my handle should be has been answered: I'm now registered as oaktiki. Which is of course the kind of wood we'd probably work with back at home since palm logs are rather hard to come by while oak logs are rather plentiful. -- Mike

View Profile of oaktiki Send a personal message to oaktiki  Goto the website of oaktiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabina
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2005-05-29 01:46 am   Permalink

My post about today at the Lagoon Room can be found over here- http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=14589&forum=4&start=last&

Just one of the best Tiki days yet!

Mahalo!

View Profile of Sabina Send a personal message to Sabina  Goto the website of Sabina     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabina
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2005-05-29 01:53 am   Permalink

* Next scheduled stop- Tiki Ti, Wed. June 1.

THIS is what I've been waiting for!

So heads up L.A. we're headed your way!

There will be other stops before then, including the Royal Hawaiian, but no announced dates as of yet. Some of the in between may end up being kinda spur of the moment.

Next question goes out to the Huntington Beach area crowd- we've been to Sam's before, but haven't seen their show. Do you recommend it, and does it still run on Fridays?

stentiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-29 09:10 am   Permalink

Aloha Sabina,

Yes, Sam's Polynesian review is alive and well. We were just there for dinner on Friday and they still draw a crowd. The show is first rate and I highly recommend it if you have the time and the dime. Sounds like you guys are having a wonderful Tiki trip. Great timing with the carving seminar and the Royal Hawaiian is a must. But as I always say, don't waste your time eating in the restaurant. Pupus and lapus will do you.

Have an awesome Tiki time!

Arty

[ This Message was edited by: stentiki on 2005-05-29 09:11 ]

View Profile of stentiki Send a personal message to stentiki  Email stentiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabina
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2005-05-29 6:23 pm   Permalink

Mr. Tiki Gallery is now live.

http://www.sevenpleasures.org/gallery/San-Diego

(Lots more San Diego goodies yet to come- although at this rate, some may wait 'til we get home.)

Bosko's page about his work on Mr. Tiki-
http://www.tikibosko.com/mr_tiki.html

Homepage-
http://www.cohnrestaurants.com/cohn/cohnrestaurants/tiki/

An entire review is in order, but for now, I'll just say, Bosko is a TIKI GOD!!

Mr. Tiki, for Neo-Tiki, really works!

The one caveat being that weeknights are probably preferable, unless you're after a different scene.

Sabina
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2005-06-01 12:03 am   Permalink

Well, we're as far as L.A., headed for the Tiki Ti early tomarrow evening, see here- http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=9696&forum=4&start=last&117

Sabina
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2005-06-04 03:15 am   Permalink

L.A. Area update-

Post Tiki-Ti, we've been busy, but have finally gotten some new pictures up.

I've added a whole new L.A. Area gallery-

http://www.sevenpleasures.org/gallery/LA-Area

That includes the few Tiki-Ti pictures that came out. We may get a couple more mailed to us later, which I'll add when we can, but for now, you'll find startlingly little!

I guess we can chock that up to what a FANTASTIC time we had! Huge thanks to everyone who came out! Once again, I'm putting so many new faces to familiar Tiki Central names! Joyously, there were a few familiar faces as well- Humuhumu and Hanford, and even MIG, who we had not seen since Mondo Tiki in Vegas!

We arrived just in time to be greeted, as if by magic, with birthday cake, as it was Mike's (the younger, I believe) birthday! Suffice it to say, it was a very special night!

The toast to Ray really got to me, as let's face it, keeping those torches of Genuine mixology lit was part of what inspired this pilgrimage in the first place! All I can say is that it was worth every single mile!

The Tiki-Ti is truely, THE TEMPLE for these intact secret incantations of mixology. Between the two of us, Oaktiki and I enjoyed a Mai Tai, a Navy Grog, a Ray's Mistake, a Missionary's Downfall, and last but not least, a Tiki-Ti Special.

I haven't heard raving about this drink yet- so I'll chime in- the Tiki-Ti special is extrordinary! If I lived in the LA area my fate would be sealed! YUM!

If you're in the LA area and you must choose but one place, it's an awfully hard toss up between Oceanic Arts and the Tiki-Ti- I guess it all depends where your intrests lie, (I wouldn't be able to decide) but wow- those guys can make an exotic drink unlike anywhere else on the planet!

Ok, it's getting late, so the rundown-

the new LA area Gallery has albums for the Tiki-Ti, Bahooka, and Sam's Seafood (no we didn't make the show, but eventually one of these trips we will!

There's a new small album up of external pix of Pacific Island Traders- a great shop in Oceanside with plenty of Bamboo outdoor furniture, lots of arts and fabrics, and a great set of rattan reproductions that one vender specialized in. http://www.sevenpleasures.org/gallery/Pacific-Island-Traders

And finally, although I don't have the Humphries Half Moon Bay pix up from Shelter Island down in San Diego yet, I did put up Shecky posing like a supermodel out on the Lanai-

http://www.sevenpleasures.org/gallery/album14

for our "Where's Shecky #60?" Gallery. (I know we've been lax, Shecky needs to get out and stretch his legs more!)

Enjoy!

Sabina
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2005-06-04 03:19 am   Permalink

Next potential date for an L.A. area get together- We're aiming for Lucky Tiki Sunday night. This may be the best chance for LA TCers to run across us.

We may also aim for the Purple Orchid one night, but no time has been set.

Sabina
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2005-06-07 01:54 am   Permalink

Last night at the Lucky Tiki was *way* too much fun! Oaktiki and I had a fantastic time- a ton of Tikiphiles, D.J. Lee spinning the tunes, the mixology, our wonderful hosts behind the bar, the quintesential night out!

And I love the Lucky Tiki- and Crazy Al's carved Tiki, who made it into more than a few photographs. (The pole in the group shot, with the skulls!)

It's late in the evening, so I'll just leave you with a few pix from last night, so all Tiki Central can enjoy the adventure vicariously.

The rest of the pictures can be found up in the new lucky Tiki album-
http://www.sevenpleasures.org/gallery/Lucky-Tiki

in the LA area album- http://www.sevenpleasures.org/gallery/LA-Area

[ This Message was edited by: Sabina on 2005-06-07 02:11 ]

Sabina
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2005-06-07 02:16 am   Permalink

Finally, a last stop in LA, (yup we've extended a little)-

Wednesday night there's a *HIGH LIKELIHOOD* (no guarentees!) That Oaktiki and I will be making our final L.A. area stop by the Purple Orchid.

If Ohana would like to come out and say Aloha, we'll aim for arriving fairly early in the evening, since it's a weeknight and folks have to work the next day.

Sabina
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2005-06-07 03:28 am   Permalink

Finally, just did a rework on the Royal Hawiian (in Laguna Beach) pages. Instead of just external pictures taken in the daytime, there are now albums in a single gallery, one of the external daylight pictures and now a second set of nightime pictures taken the evening we finally got to enjoy the Royal Hawaiian.

This has got to be one of my (now MANY) favorite CA Tiki treasures. Well worth backtracking for!

The new gallery can be found here-
http://www.sevenpleasures.org/gallery/Royal-Hawaiian-CA

just to share a picture or two-

We highly recommend it!

Sabina
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2005-06-07 10:13 pm   Permalink

Ok, scratch the previous Purple Orchid date (wed). Our plans have finally firmed up.

We will instead, be doing our L.A. Aloha THURSDAY night, early evening. Come on out if you can make it!

(This gives folks who can make the Tiki-Ti their usual wed. night, we won't be able to make it, but we'll be thinking about you!)

Sabina
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2005-06-09 01:29 am   Permalink

Last call- TONIGHT (Thursday night) at Purple Orchid in El Segundo.

We're aiming roughly between 8-10, maybe a little earlier, maybe much later.

Hope to see folks there!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation