[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving aloha oe
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
aloha oe
kooche
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-24 3:01 pm   Permalink

this week i'll be finishing the cover for the second issue of tiki magazine and following that i'm through with tiki art (rumor has it there will be a print available of this cover image) ...though this sounds like an ultra dramatic alarmist's blanket statement i would like to mention in conjunction with this announcement that perhaps for the Tiki Ti's 45th anniversary next year i will try to curate a large group show at the bar itself - theme being the drinks on the menu... i'd like to lovingly thank you for the support and encouragement you have persoanlly offered ...enjoy this great summer!

mahalo and aloha!

for the show in sept at the shooting gallery...

p.s. i reserve the right to do a commissions of any nature ...and oh yeah there are 3 great big pieces from the Tell Tale Tiki show for sale at the Tiki Ti...snooze and lose menehunes!

View Profile of kooche Send a personal message to kooche  Goto the website of kooche     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-24 3:18 pm   Permalink

Best of luck in whatever you are painting next.

Between Flounder and Kooche both announcing their intent to stop producing tiki art Im sort of stumped.

Why is an announcement necessary? Why an official departure? Im not a professional artist so I really dont understand. Is there no longer any demand for that style of artwork? Or just not enough customers?

Is it to stop folks from asking you for tiki stuff? Subject Burnout?

I have really enjoyed the tiki themed pieces that you have done. Oh well....

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FLOUNDERart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-24 4:41 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-05-24 15:18, Monkeyman wrote:
Why is an announcement necessary? Why an official departure? Im not a professional artist so I really dont understand. Is there no longer any demand for that style of artwork? Or just not enough customers?

Is it to stop folks from asking you for tiki stuff? Subject Burnout?

I have really enjoyed the tiki themed pieces that you have done. Oh well....

I can't speak for Miles but for me it was a number of reasons.
1. Mostly it was subject burnout! I painted over 100 tiki images last year alone.
2. Tiki enthusiast will pay $500 for a mug but will barely pay more than a couple hundred for an original painting. No offence to anyone. I totally understand and would rather have a vintage relic from the tiki heyday myself. I also want to deal in more highend paintings.
3. I didn't want to be pigeonholed as a tiki artist only which was starting to happen.
4. Subject burnout!!

I still love tiki and will be using tiki images in paintings but they wont be tiki only. I'm actually doing a painting for the Dionysus show at the M Modern Gallery which has a tiki in it. I'll post it when it's done.

www.flounderart.com

View Profile of FLOUNDERart Send a personal message to FLOUNDERart  Email FLOUNDERart Goto the website of FLOUNDERart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FLOUNDERart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-24 4:42 pm   Permalink

Nice painting Miles.

View Profile of FLOUNDERart Send a personal message to FLOUNDERart  Email FLOUNDERart Goto the website of FLOUNDERart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kooche
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-24 5:08 pm   Permalink

i'm glad that you like the pieces i have painted in the past...why leave? why announce? good question...

paint tikis and have my kids to go to public school in LA or get a great paying full time job that provides benefits for my family? still confused?

almost everyone can afford a $10-20 mug or shirt...as much as one may like an image very few can afford to spend more than $200 on a painting and that amount to most is considered a massive indulgent expenditure ...many assimilate themselves with tiki lifestyle because it's got a simplistic "value nothing" beach-bum undertone that we fancy ourselves for being a part of - yet here we all are on machines that thrid world countries don't even have in their best hospitals ... hell the rum we all love to drink IS the medication in those places

in animation or illustration i can earn 10X as much $ ...boils down to math as it applies to providing for my family...the return on tiki art for painters is LESS THAN ZILCH - everyone needs a logo for free - free record cover art - a free mug design - every one wants a bro deal...EVERYONE! part and parcel with the jungle trader in us all i guess...nobody will invest in a painting by a painter that isn't branded as a household name...but once a painter is in people will donate their kidneys to get a scrap of paper with a chicken scratch on it...they wait YEARS to pay out the nose! ($200 paintings then seem to be like winning lottery tickets) the truth is someone can be the best painter of all time but until someone you trust TELLS you this is the case nobody will give that artist a single grain of wheat (which is only worth about 1/2 of what it was 5 years ago thanks to GWB)

Flounder...10-4 man...i dig your oil piece...keep rocking the oils man...i have about 12 in the works for my next show with Andrew B at Copro Nason which is moving to Burgamot Station ... July 16th ...not long now...thanks for the support and understanding my man!!!

View Profile of kooche Send a personal message to kooche  Goto the website of kooche     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-24 5:19 pm   Permalink

Flounder/Miles, I totally understand where you guys are coming from. More power to you both. No matter what you guys do, I know it will kick ass!

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-24 5:32 pm   Permalink

I am sorry to see this news. I understand what your saying about providing for family first and foremost.
Best wishes in your future ventures.

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-24 5:52 pm   Permalink

Guys thanks for all the cool art. As much as it sucks to see you go, at least we have all the cool images you left us with.

Good luck with whatever else you choose to do. Hope you still hang around a bit, you definitely will be missed.

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-25 08:57 am   Permalink

Ahhh. I'm not alone. I currently work for a large publishing company and keep tiki to the side. My freelance illustration and carving give me the escape to do what I want, not what people expect. The "aesthetic of art" will never be found in your wallet. I find satisfaction in art, when I can keep economics out of it. On that note - does anyone want to buy a tiki pen?

Great painting. I look forward to seeing what direction you head next.

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-25 09:20 am   Permalink

I totally understand why you are switching gears (who doesnt want to provide for their family). All the things you say about the pricepoint on art agree with how I spend my own money.

If you have the option of a full time corporate gig, it certainly looks like a better option when compared to day to day existence on your own art.

I was totally entralled with your imagery from the first time I saw it. Im sure that whatever you work on next will be great.

Stop by any time and see us.

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sirginn
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-05-25 10:40 am   Permalink

Miles-

Nice painting bro, diggin the banana skirt! I will always love your island images.

We discussed this before and I'll say it again, I support your and Flounder's decisions all the way. I am proud to own numerous tiki peices by both of you, but am excited to see the new direction you go with oils. I am sure they will kick ass, you can bet C and I will be at your show in July, lending our emotional and possibly financial support for you and Andrew.

Congratulations on the article about you in the new issue of Juxtapoz, and the upcoming tiki mag cover, maybe the art community is finally opening its eyes and giving you the recognition you have long deserved.

Gotta go work, talk soon,

-S

View Profile of sirginn Send a personal message to sirginn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-25 11:05 am   Permalink

Miles, I don't love your art because it's got tikis in it, I love it because it's really effing good. Same goes for Flounder -- time and again I've been blown away when I see the new stuff. It's been great to see both artists growing in new directions (yay oils!), and I am always most impressed with artists when they display versatility. No one likes a one-note song.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-25 11:58 am   Permalink

Miles, very nice painting. And I love all your paintings, whatever kind it is.
Please go on

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-25 2:03 pm   Permalink

Miles, it is sad to know there will bo no more tiki art from you (Flounder too), but I understand exactly what you mean. If I had to make a living from my art I would be in trouble. The thing people don't understand is that when you get into a "Pigeon hole", it's hard to get out.
Anyway jsut because you aren't doing tiki-art, don't give up tiki all together. we love you(Flounder too) and you don't have to be an artist to hang around TC. don't be a stranger, we love you guys!
(anybody seen BasementKahuna lately??)

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-25 2:04 pm   Permalink

Oh yeah, it IS a Nice picture!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation