[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Tiki Nose Art
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Tiki Nose Art
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-24 8:15 pm   Permalink

I am interesred in seeing pics of Tiki themed WWII kinda era nose art. I have seen the Don the Beachcomber one on here. Any others people know of? I did a quick search on google, and didn't come up with much.

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ookoo lady
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-25 07:28 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-05-11 23:18, Hakalugi wrote:
Winner - Best Dressed Nose:
Krustiki

Is this what you're talking about?

View Profile of ookoo lady Send a personal message to ookoo lady      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-25 12:10 pm   Permalink

Here is a good site with lots of pics and links
http://www.nose-art.net/index.html

Heres some more links
http://www.retrocrush.com/archive2004/noseart/
http://www.fsu.edu/~ww2/nose-art/noseartindex.html
http://www.aerothentic.com/photos/aircraft_photos/index.html

[ This Message was edited by: rodeotiki on 2005-05-25 12:23 ]

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-25 1:21 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-05-25 07:28, ookoo lady wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-05-11 23:18, Hakalugi wrote:Winner - Best Dressed Nose:Krustiki

Is this what you're talking about?

No no, something completely different, since I'm sure Hakalugi would *never* want a naked lady sitting...on...his - oops, never mind...

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-25 7:15 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the links - I have been to a few of these alreadt. Having trouble finding tiki ones though.

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-29 05:48 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-05-25 19:15, hewey wrote:
Thanks for the links - I have been to a few of these already. Having trouble finding tiki ones though.

That's because most fighter plane nose art is from the pre-Tiki era (BOT p.46). Did they do any of that in the Korean war? Would be nice to find one on a Le Sabre jet, since I drive Buick Le Sabre...

I have seen one or two uniform patches with Tiki imagery, from later years, probably from units stationed in Hawaii.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Grand Kahu
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2011-06-21 3:22 pm   Permalink

Here is one:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/43990177@N07/4407923618/

GK

Tied by my Mai Tai...

View Profile of Grand Kahu Send a personal message to Grand Kahu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Club Nouméa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-21 6:56 pm   Permalink

Here's one from a B-24 Liberator that was stationed in PNG in WWII:

The glass beside the falling bomb has a straw sticking out of it and a skull in the bottom of it - sorry about the print quality - the original was on newsprint and that was the best pic I could get.

Source: Invasion of Papua and New Guinea - 100 Historical Photographs, compiled by Mike Coutts.

CN

Toto, j'ai l'impression que nous ne sommes plus au Kansas !

View Profile of Club Nouméa Send a personal message to Club Nouméa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole Jim
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-24 11:15 am   Permalink

There is also a USAF Boeing B-29 Superfortress during the Korean War which had a lovely female in grass skirt and flower lei, "South Sea Sinner."

[ This Message was edited by: Haole Jim 2013-06-04 15:59 ]

View Profile of Haole Jim Send a personal message to Haole Jim      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pele Paul
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-16 10:53 am   Permalink

wow too cool

View Profile of Pele Paul Send a personal message to Pele Paul  Email Pele Paul     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-05-16 11:20 am   Permalink

Cool thread, here's the South Seas Sinner

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
creativenative
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-16 12:05 pm   Permalink

Here's a Hollywood account of this South Seas nose art phenomena in the movie THE BAMBOO BLONDE (1946) RKO. Great story too about a fictional pre-tiki WWII / Poly club connection. Engaged but not happy pilot falls in falls in love with torch singer in NYC. Shipped to the South Seas he has his men paint the singer on the nose of his bomber but with a South Seas two piece sarong. If I recall correctly, the nose art becomes famous when a newspaper photographer shoots it and the photo gets widely distributed. The torch singer gets discovered because of the nose art and she and the club owner changes her act and the establishment to a pre-tiki South Seas club with hula dancers and more sarongs.

View Profile of creativenative Send a personal message to creativenative  Email creativenative Goto the website of creativenative     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-kitty
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-05-21 1:58 pm   Permalink

I have a really nifty book called "For The Boys" about the 'racy pin-ups of World War II'.
There are LOTS of pictures of aircraft nose art...I didn't see any with Tiki on them, but a fair amount of Hula Girls on the nose.
In general, it is a really neat book with lots of GREAT pin-up art- including photos of guys and their planes!!

View Profile of Tiki-kitty Send a personal message to Tiki-kitty      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
creativenative
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-02 11:34 pm   Permalink

Love to know more about that book Tiki-Kitty can't find it on the net.

View Profile of creativenative Send a personal message to creativenative  Email creativenative Goto the website of creativenative     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
captnkirk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-03 11:37 am   Permalink

Here is great one, it is Lala from Tikibar TV on a WWII B-25J, photoshopped from Lala's calendar by Hans.

[ This Message was edited by: captnkirk 2013-06-03 11:45 ]

View Profile of captnkirk Send a personal message to captnkirk  Goto the website of captnkirk     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation