FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Locating Tiki » » Royal Hawaiian, Baker, CA (motel)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Royal Hawaiian, Baker, CA (motel)
tikipedia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-27 8:25 pm   Permalink

Name:Royal Hawaiian
Type:motel
Street:200 West Baker Blvd
City:Baker
State:CA
Zip:
Phone:

Description:
This is on the road between Los Angeles and Vegas. Baker is one of those places where you stop to get gas and a snack before moving on.

Snapped the pix after a few days 4 wheeling in Death Valley, but we didn't stay there.

The Royal Hawaiian is just down the road from the Alien Fresh Jerky store, and the world's largest thermometer.

View Profile of tikipedia Send a personal message to tikipedia  Goto the website of tikipedia     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DawnTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-06 6:32 pm   Permalink

I don't know why but the old image links don't work. A few weeks ago a friend of mine stopped on his way to Vegas and took these shots for me. My scanner isn't feeling well so I had to take a picture of a picture to post them.

View Profile of DawnTiki Send a personal message to DawnTiki  Email DawnTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-07 10:55 am   Permalink

stopped by about 7 yrs ago...didn't stay, just passin' thru..I believe it's just across the street from the world famous "bun boy" burger stand...a 60's knock-off of the the old bob's big boy stands...complete with their own bun boy character....watch out for the burgers...they come back to haunt you somethin' fierce!!!

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-11 12:52 pm   Permalink

Hi all -
I took a road trip to Vegas last week, celebrating my "liberation" from my former rotten employer....and we stopped in Baker for breakfast along the way. Look what we found out in the desert!

Arne's Royal Hawaiian Motel - with your genial hosts, Jim & Renée!
I only found one lonely tiki...

I have no idea if there are more tikis on the property, the lovely ladies at the desk said there were not, and I didn't have the time to really check it out.

Lastly - here's a little game I tried at Binion's, of course it gobbled up my money as quickly as I put it in the damn thing.... I think this slot machine may have been discussed here before - but I'm stuck at home on dial-up, so I don't think I'll do a search just now.

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-11 12:55 pm   Permalink

Well crap! And I thought I just discovered this guy! Oh well - here's a few pics of my own from last week...

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Doctor Z
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-11 2:35 pm   Permalink

They moved the tiki away from the building apparently - he used to by by the doorway and was 'secured' to a fake palm tree in a pot (being used as a trashcan) with a piece of twine. No other tikis about the place, I can verify that, so he's definitely a lonely lil' guy.

(The only $$ I've put into the "Tiki Torch" machine was picking up the back glass at a flea market many moons ago.)
Ask for it by name!

View Profile of Doctor Z Send a personal message to Doctor Z  Email Doctor Z     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gigantalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-11 9:07 pm   Permalink

That's sweet!

Thanks for sharing

View Profile of Gigantalope Send a personal message to Gigantalope  Email Gigantalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DawnTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-11 9:15 pm   Permalink

Nice pictures Tangaroa and my friend totally missed the Tiki Slot Machine! My friend who took the pictures for me played with color saturation in photoshop trying to get that surreal vintage postcard vibe. I love the effect!

View Profile of DawnTiki Send a personal message to DawnTiki  Email DawnTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-10-12 2:43 pm   Permalink

How Funny! the wife and I were just out vegas way a few weeks ago and we stopped to eat at the Mad Greek and ran into this same place. I swear we took the exact same pictures! I was going to add mine to tiki places, but never got around to it...thanks for the post tanga, I hope you had a fun celebration of freedom...those are always good!

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-16 2:02 pm   Permalink

Mahalo for the tiki tip and photos.

I always thought that place had tiki possibility, but I never bothered to inspect. Now I will definitely have to check it out next time I make the (long) drive.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hanford_lemoore
Proprietor

Posted: 2005-11-06 2:38 pm   Permalink

topics merged.

View Profile of hanford_lemoore Send a personal message to hanford_lemoore  Email hanford_lemoore Goto the website of hanford_lemoore     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki-el
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-11-07 1:22 pm   Permalink

I'm going to have to go and check it out when I'm there next!

View Profile of tiki-el Send a personal message to tiki-el  Email tiki-el     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Shaker
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-09-24 9:40 pm   Permalink

My brother and I stopped and took pictures on our way to Vegas...

View Profile of Tiki Shaker Send a personal message to Tiki Shaker  Email Tiki Shaker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-24 9:57 pm   Permalink

Wow, it's till there, what a time warp. The long shot really makes it look like an oasis. Thank You.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-24 10:30 pm   Permalink

I had forgotten about that place.
saw it a few years ago, when we were going to Las Vegas to see Satan's Pilgrims.
We had gotten off for gas, and as we were driving down the road, I saw it out of the corner of my eye, and yelled pull in here.
they said, whoooa what are you freaking out about?

then as we drove around it,I said its not amazing, but look its vaguely
tiki.

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation