[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Capt'n Skully's Tiki #1 Finished
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Capt'n Skully's Tiki #1 Finished
Capt'n Skully
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-28 1:32 pm   Permalink

Ahoy ALL-

I've dubbed him "Ookii Kowaii", my child-like translation to Japanese to mean "Big Scary".

You can see my

Progression Pics
here.

ARRGH!
-Skully

[message edited]

[ This Message was edited by: Capt'n Skully on 2005-06-23 16:31 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Capt'n Skully on 2005-06-23 16:51 ]

View Profile of Capt'n Skully Send a personal message to Capt'n Skully  Email Capt'n Skully     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thegarz
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-05-28 1:36 pm   Permalink

Ahoy Matey!
I like da Tiki Man just the way he is....most excellent job! Wish I had your carving skills.....!

View Profile of thegarz Send a personal message to thegarz  Email thegarz Goto the website of thegarz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-28 1:41 pm   Permalink

Looks great. I like the idea of finishing the crown. Lets see more pics.

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-28 2:11 pm   Permalink

Hey Capn"

You have some nice lines going on their. I really like how you handled the nose. It's good as is, but since you asked for suggestions, I recently carved out a concave recess on the head of a tiki. It wasn't noticable if viewed straight on, but it did give it a finished feeling.

Scroll down to the stained pics (page 9), and you can kind of see what I did.

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=8028&forum=7&start=120

http://www.NiceFishy.com

[ This Message was edited by: Raffertiki on 2005-05-28 14:12 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Raffertiki on 2005-05-28 14:13 ]

View Profile of Raffertiki Send a personal message to Raffertiki  Email Raffertiki Goto the website of Raffertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-28 3:03 pm   Permalink

Thats your First carving?
Wow , thats great!!!

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-28 4:42 pm   Permalink

Cap'nScully, I don't believe thqts yor first tiki or at least your first carving. It's too good. Very nice job. Have you carved other things before? What tools did you use. I would leave him as is he is Really NICE.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-28 5:02 pm   Permalink

That's a great carving!
You should be very proud!
-Tw

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Capt'n Skully
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-28 5:14 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the warm words- Much appreciated.

This is my first large carving- I've only carved 2 staffs before, which were really just stripping bark compared to this... I pulled it off by lurking here for hours assimilating all the precious data stored in these pages, posted by the MANY masters and carvers, as I've patiently whittled away for months. All chisel.

[ This Message was edited by: Capt'n Skully on 2005-05-28 21:14 ]

View Profile of Capt'n Skully Send a personal message to Capt'n Skully  Email Capt'n Skully     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-28 6:09 pm   Permalink

Unique lines, and features...I Like. I Like!
Gives me ideas!

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-29 04:28 am   Permalink

Look at Benzarts latest piece, a hawaiin kinda guy. He put a simple pattern on him.

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-29 08:34 am   Permalink

great tiki cappy....looks awesome for a
first or even an "early" tiki...show some
more!

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thanatos
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-29 11:58 am   Permalink

That is one nice carving.. Love the nose

View Profile of Thanatos Send a personal message to Thanatos  Email Thanatos     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Capt'n Skully
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-29 12:09 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-05-28 14:11, Raffertiki wrote:
... I recently carved out a concave recess on the head of a tiki. It wasn't noticable if viewed straight on, but it did give it a finished feeling.

Scroll down to the stained pics (page 9), and you can kind of see what I did.

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=8028&forum=7&start=120

Really dig that recessed head- and the lines on the loin cloth effect... Good inspiration- I used the recessed parts for inside his mouth.

Doing cleanup work while finalizing the design...

[ This Message was edited by: Capt'n Skully on 2005-05-29 15:41 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Capt'n Skully on 2005-06-23 16:15 ]

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-30 2:12 pm   Permalink

First off BIG Welcome to Tiki Central from us all. We are glad to have you here and it seems as though you will fit in perfectly here, so come on in and relax and stay awhile..
Again, Capt'n Skully, Super nice job. Beautiful for a first one. I wasn't trying to question your honesty with the "not your first" comment, it is just too fantastic for a normal first. You Must carve Many More pieces. I can see super attention to detail. Very precise similar to Aarons Aku carvings. What I can't get over is the level of perfection you have achieved. You are going to be one of the Excellent carvers.
Stop whatever you are doing (except another carving) and start a few more carvings Right away. AND you Must post pictures of the progress. It is very important for you to do this. Only because it is what we love at TC.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-30 2:21 pm   Permalink

I usually hate first time carvings. I look and they ask for opinions and I think "firewood!" But I dig this one. Great stuff. Great style and depth.

I just put chisel to wood my first time this weekend. I hope I can come close to yours when I am done.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation