FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events No... this can't be happening... wake me up
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
No... this can't be happening... wake me up
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-15 09:38 am   Permalink

One of my sarcastic nephews calls me Braddah Iz'nt.

Here we go again.
For the most horrible of reasons, I'm staying here in Florida.

All of you know that I'm a tad overweight. Just a smidgen. A teeny little hundred and sixty pounds too heavy for my frame.

I never have minded the obvious drawbacks of such a state - but my stupid heart and circulatory system don't agree. Imagine that.

I was put on BP meds last week for the first time in my life and a new diet that MUST be followed am I to live any kind of the mobile, happy life I've been used to up to this point.

And no drinking.

Me. No drinking... until I get all of this under control. How long that will be is mostly up to me.

No airplanes either until July.

It's been 11 days now since my last sip of sweeeeeeetttttt nectarrrrrrrrr. I've lost enough weight to get into some cool Aloha shirts I had - ahem - outgrown.

Find me a long board, Bong. When I get there - if I ever do - I'll be a svelte action figure of my former self and ready to learn.

On a brighter note. I'm incredibly glad to be alive because a month ago I wasn't so sure I would be at this point.

Here's a little ditty I've been working on with The Crazed Mugs to lighten the mood and remind you of one of the reasons you're all so important to this beeg mon.

This one is dedicated to the collectors - it's just a practice version so don't judge the performance or recording too harshly.

http://www.mediacentraltampa.com/crazedmugs/My%20Mug%20Collection.mp3

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-15 09:45 am   Permalink

Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear you won't be making it, pablus -- Hanford & I even scheduled our flight back from visiting my Mom in Oregon to be sure we could be at Tiki-Ti in time to see you. I am, however, very glad to hear that you're alive. And that when I do get to see you, you'll be mobile & happy. New diet & no drinkin' sounds like it has the potential to be a drag, but I'm sure you'll find a way to make it fun.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OnaTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-15 09:47 am   Permalink

That is one kick ass tune...great job..sorry that the trip was cancled,but there we always be another time..keep us posted on that music,and would love what you talked about for the party,you will be missed..

View Profile of OnaTiki Send a personal message to OnaTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-15 10:11 am   Permalink

<<<New diet & no drinkin' sounds like it has the potential to be a drag, but I'm sure you'll find a way to make it fun. >>>

The diet is no pilikia, really. I've been eating vegetarian meals 5-7 times a week for years now and am a pretty good cook. I have an herb garden and rarely use salt.

The no-drinking, OTOH, is a bummer, BUT - I'm still going ahead with a Tiki Time at the Lagoon Lounge this Sunday as Swanky will be in town. Along with my usual bowls of delight, I will also have a bowl of Lagoon Lite Punch just for me - in a tiki mug - with umbrellas, garnish and FRESH MINT.

I'll be intoxicated on the idea of life and the sounds of ukuleles and frequent dives into the pool.

I'm sorry to have to miss the opportunity to see you again, Humuhumu and to meet our esteemed Kahuna, Hanford - but I have many trips to take this year on business, including San Fran and LA, and will most certainly make it a point to find you and give you a big happy ohana hug. I have a feeling I'll be hugging a lot of people this year. Life is sweet.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PapeToaTane
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-15 10:38 am   Permalink

Keep it up, Brah!! Life is sweet - and some (too many) I have known over the years do not get the "warning shot" that you and I got! I'm maintaining a 120-lbs. weight-loss (which is more of a challenge, on a daily basis, than taking it off EVER was!) BP now a steady 120/70, off the meds....and loving life with my wife, my friends, my parish and my tiki ohana! We need you around - so - do what the docs say. Tiki Ti ain't going anywhere! Short hugs are better than long eulogies! Aloha!!

And your song ROCKS!!

[ This Message was edited by: PapeToaTane on 2005-06-15 10:39 ]

View Profile of PapeToaTane Send a personal message to PapeToaTane  Email PapeToaTane Goto the website of PapeToaTane     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-bot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-15 11:10 am   Permalink

pablus - your song is awesome! Best of luck with the new routine.

View Profile of Tiki-bot Send a personal message to Tiki-bot  Email Tiki-bot     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-15 11:36 am   Permalink

with all these double post, maybe I should quit drinking too!

[ This Message was edited by: Chongolio on 2005-06-15 19:59 ]

View Profile of Chongolio Send a personal message to Chongolio  Email Chongolio Goto the website of Chongolio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-15 11:37 am   Permalink

Pablus, that tune was excellent! What a drag about your trip and more importantly your health. Stay on the path and keep your health. Your music will help you through. The world can't aford to lose a uke player with your style.
We will tip a glass of carrot juice in a tiki mug one of these days!
Chongolio

Chongolio.com
Stoke & Flow
Facebook

View Profile of Chongolio Send a personal message to Chongolio  Email Chongolio Goto the website of Chongolio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrs. pineapple
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-15 7:01 pm   Permalink

Pablus - the song is great! I'm joining you on the wagon train for a while, (baby has enough cards stacked against him with me and tiki-bot as parents, eh? ) BUT, you know, there's nothing better than a virgin painkiller every once in while to whisk you off to the isles! Hang in there, I'll raise a mug of pineapple juice to your health!

mrs. p

View Profile of mrs. pineapple Send a personal message to mrs. pineapple      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-15 9:50 pm   Permalink

The song is UTTERLY FANTASTIC and I urge you all to listen to it right now. No, really. Turn your speakers on and do it. You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll be shocked, you'll dance, you'll swoon. And you'll want a Mai Tai.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2005-06-15 10:11 pm   Permalink

"..and fresh mint!"

Amen.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Sperm Whale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-16 09:47 am   Permalink

Great Stuff - Pablus!!!
I look forward to meeting you in the future!!
Later,
Spermy

View Profile of The Sperm Whale Send a personal message to The Sperm Whale  Email The Sperm Whale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-16 11:50 am   Permalink

Hang in there bro. Stick with the Doc's advice and you'll be right as rain in no time. I've been fighting the battle of high blood sugar for a few years and have to lay off the sauce every now and then. It's for a good cause - my health. At least you're stuck in Florida and that ain't all bad.
KG

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2005-06-16 5:04 pm   Permalink

Get well soon, Mr. P. We're thinkin' about ya.

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ikitnrev
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-16 5:34 pm   Permalink

Having met Pablus for the first time in my life this Past January, and meeting him a few months later when he came to DC, I can honestly say that he is one of the friendliest people I have met from Tiki Central.

I was honored that I was able to share in many drinks with you, Pablus, but even more treasured than those memories is the thought of hanging out with you and other Tiki Central folk at some future gathering. And if that means that one or both of us will not have a potent drink in our hands, it will still be time very well spent.

We may be in a subculture that accepts drinking tropical concotions as one of its pleasures, but there are plenty of other areas of this subculture that give pleasure too - like buying tikis, and carving tikis, and decorating your home in tikis, and providing wonderful ukulele music, and there are many more.

Keep practicing that ukulele - your body may be big, but the music that comes from your fingertips gives pleasure to us all.

Vern

View Profile of ikitnrev Send a personal message to ikitnrev  Email ikitnrev     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation