[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Living Tikis
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Living Tikis
Alnshely
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-31 11:30 am   Permalink

There has been a few mentions of living tikis on this board, here are some pictures of some living tikis in Carlsbad. I believe the carver is a guy named Tiki Tom.

The above pictures were taken at the Ocean Palms Hotel in Carlsbad. These Tikis are about 7-10 months old

These Tikis are at the Jet Ski Harbour in Carlsbad, they are over 3-4 years old.
Mahalo,
Al

[ This Message was edited by: Alnshely on 2005-05-31 11:41 ]

View Profile of Alnshely Send a personal message to Alnshely  Email Alnshely     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
procinema29
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-31 11:40 am   Permalink

Wow. Those are amazing looking. Is this a new thing people are doing?

View Profile of procinema29 Send a personal message to procinema29      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-31 11:57 am   Permalink

That is realy, really cool. When my 5 palms reach that size I'm going to have to fly in a carver!

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-31 12:17 pm   Permalink

When I visited Wayne Coombs before HUkilau last year, he was talking about the tikis carved at the dealership story and how it does not kill a tree to carve it. He said he could take us to trees that were living that had been carved years ago. Wayne's been doing it a while.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
procinema29
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-31 1:04 pm   Permalink

It is almost like tribal scarring, but for trees...I imagine the tree does not enjoy the experience, but as the latter photos demonstrate, the trees heal and bark over, eventually...they can be trained to heal and bark, I guess you could say...

View Profile of procinema29 Send a personal message to procinema29      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
procinema29
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-31 1:07 pm   Permalink

You know, it's the strangest thing....the strangest, strangest thing...I have looked at all of those photos, and in some of them, there appear to be tears flowing out of the eyes...tree-sap tears...are the trees trying to tell us something?

Biotron2000
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-31 1:22 pm   Permalink

Looks like tears of joy.

View Profile of Biotron2000 Send a personal message to Biotron2000  Email Biotron2000 Goto the website of Biotron2000     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
roadkutter
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-05-31 4:11 pm   Permalink

They look great, what I don't get is why aren't the tress dieing? In Australia they use to ringbark trees to kill them... they probably still use this method today.

Maybe the Palm is different???

View Profile of roadkutter Send a personal message to roadkutter  Email roadkutter Goto the website of roadkutter     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-01 07:13 am   Permalink

If you look at the old trees in the pictures above the bark is still on them, but not on the new ones. Trees transfer water & nutrients through the xylem, the tissue just below the bark, and they'll die if it's cut all the way around. If there isn't a strip of bark running up ther back of the trees where we can't see it they should die, and where the bark's been removed the tree will be susceptable to bug & fungal infections.

But on the other hand, palm trees aren't trees at all but giant grass stalks. The xylem of grass isn't under it's bark but runs through it's center, so if the palm tree doesn't succumb to disease or infestation it might survive being debarked. Are there any horticulturalists or arborists on TC who might know the answer to this?

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MachTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-01 08:51 am   Permalink

Mahalo for the pics Al. If you don't mind, I added them to the post about Ocean Palms Beach Resort, Carlsbad, CA in "Locating Tiki. Great photos!!!

View Profile of MachTiki Send a personal message to MachTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikimanocean
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-08-01 10:03 pm   Permalink

Is anyone else in the tiki world carving living trees haven't heard much about them since people were talking about my work at the ocean palms resort in carlsbad in 2004-2005 era. My name is anthony and i hsve been carving in carlsbad and north county since 1999

View Profile of Tikimanocean Send a personal message to Tikimanocean      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-01 10:56 pm   Permalink

Aren't you the same fellow, who got kicked out of the "Tiki Farm Bash"
some years ago?

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikimanocean

Posted: 2013-08-02 08:14 am   Permalink

No i have never been to a tiki farm bash possibly tiki tom i try to keep a good name and only do good things thanks

View Profile of Tikimanocean Send a personal message to Tikimanocean      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikimanocean

Posted: 2013-08-02 08:15 am   Permalink

Why did the person get kicked out of the tiki bash?

Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-02 11:37 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-08-01 22:56, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Aren't you the same fellow, who got kicked out of the "Tiki Farm Bash"
some years ago?

There were two. One was San Diego's own "Tiki Dan". I haven't seen him in over a year. I've been looking for him. I hear he's a "wanted" man for a past TO transgressions.... If you see him at Oasis, turn him in to the authorities!

Here he is getting kicked out of Tiki Oasis a few years ago

I think that's the year someone saw him steal some décor off of a room balcony, and walk over to the vending area and sell it to someone else right off. He set up his unpaid for vending area on the sidewalk in front of the café as well.

Quote:

On 2013-08-02 08:15, Tikimanocean wrote:
Why did the person get kicked out of the tiki bash?

So it's Tikiyaki Orchestra's debut show, and Tiki Dan lies his way into the event, sets up his unauthorized vending booth stage right, and then starts "working" on his tikis as the band takes the stage...

He's also been banned for life from every tiki store in the county at least 3-4 times for stealing stuff.

If you see him, run!

The other one was the SD county tiki carver knucklehead: "Tiki Daddy" from Oceanside. He got kicked out at another bash for being drunk and maybe starting a fight? He's the one who made the local news a few years ago for carving on live trees on city property.

Buzzy Out!

[ This Message was edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2013-08-02 11:44 ]

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation