FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Travel Washington DC area tiki?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Washington DC area tiki?
monkeyskull
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-31 5:56 pm   Permalink

Okay, no more Politiki, no more Honolulu, and the only Critiki listing for Baltimore is lousy Tiki Bobs. Are there any recommendations for someone heading to Washington D.C. next week?

View Profile of monkeyskull Send a personal message to monkeyskull  Email monkeyskull Goto the website of monkeyskull     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-31 7:47 pm   Permalink

There's a huge moai at the Smithsonian! Natural history museum I believe. Lots of cool weapons too.

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-31 9:06 pm   Permalink

There's a great bar/pool hall that ikitnrev took us to.
It had huge Moai and an area right out of a Shag painting.
Mai Tais - annnhhhh - but they were served in Tiki Mugs.

Also - a terrific Chinese restaurant the name of which escapes me now, but with good drinks and great food.

Check in Tiki Events for a sort of overview of my trip up there. You can use search to find it.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-01 12:45 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-05-31 17:56, monkeyskull wrote:
and the only Critiki listing for Baltimore is lousy Tiki Bobs.

No charge, mind you.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ikitnrev
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-06-01 05:18 am   Permalink

The name of the Chinese Restaurant where I took Pablus is the Peking Gourmet, located in Falls Church (6029 Leesburg Pike). No tiki, but great mai-tais and great food.

The name of the pool hall mentioned above is the Continental Pool Lounge, located in Rosslyn across from the Key Bridge, and accessible by Metro. It has more of a modern Jetsons, space-age Shag-like decor, with a couple of tikis thrown in. some pictures can be seen at the ir website at
http://modernpoollounge.com/photos.html

About an hour south of DC, in southern Maryland off of route 4 is Vera's White Sands. Fantastic decor, authentic Polynesian artifacts, and definitely worth visiting if you have a car. I can never remember what their hours are - for portions of the year they are closed, and then other times for weekends only. Here is an article from about two years ago http://www.citypaper.com/special/story.asp?id=6635

If you find yourself out towards Dulles Airport, in Sterling is the Pacific Restaurant. A bit of a upscale feel, they have a great exotic drink menu, and a couple of tikis in the lobby. No website, but their phone is 703-404-5500.

If you had to choose between any of the above to capture the most unique one-of-a-kind experience, then definitely try to visit Vera's White Sands.

Vern

View Profile of ikitnrev Send a personal message to ikitnrev  Email ikitnrev     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
monkeyskull
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-03 3:25 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the suggestions, guys!

View Profile of monkeyskull Send a personal message to monkeyskull  Email monkeyskull Goto the website of monkeyskull     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zombieki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-09-07 1:14 pm   Permalink

Has anyone in the Washington, DC area been to the Tiki Bar at the Third Edition Restaurant in Georgetown? If you scroll to the bottom of their web page there a few pictures: http://www.thethirdedition.com/picture_tour.shtml

I'm curious to check it out and was wondering what the rest of you thought.

View Profile of Zombieki Send a personal message to Zombieki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thortiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-07 2:20 pm   Permalink

IMHO this looks like a place calling itself a "tiki bar" in name only. Recommend the bar @ Solomon's, Maryland which has been posted in other thread here a Tikicentral. You can even buy Tiki Farm mugs there

Also how about "Pacific Restaurant" near Dulles Airport
http://www.chengspacific.com/home.php ???

View Profile of Thortiki Send a personal message to Thortiki  Goto the website of Thortiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-07 3:08 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-06-01 05:18, ikitnrev wrote:
The name of the Chinese Restaurant where I took Pablus is the Peking Gourmet

Thanks for the tips, rev! I'll be in Springfield next week and the week of the 25th, so I'll definitely try to check this place out, Pacific Restaurant too. Don't think I'll be able to make it out to Vera's, but we'll see.

Weblog:
Eye of the Goof

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-09-07 8:30 pm   Permalink

The Peking Gourmet is pretty good. They have a good duck, and I agree with Vern, the mai tais are pretty good too. I think that they are living off their laurels though. The service isn't as good as it once was.

BUT, if you get the chance, go out to Sterling Virginia and visit Louis Cheng's Pacific Restaurant. They have good mai tais, food, and zombies. It's a lot newer, and expensive, but I think worth the trip. Did I mention that they have good zombies?

Just my two cents.

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Turbogod
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-08 1:59 pm   Permalink

The Pacific has great drinks and food. Just watch your drink. One time we all ordered drinks some got to us faster then others. A waiter realized the drinks for another table. though the same we ordered, were on our table and he came by and took them back. I'd had a few sips of mine. True story.

View Profile of Turbogod Send a personal message to Turbogod      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thortiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-09 4:53 pm   Permalink

Just got back from drinks & food at the "Pacific" in Sterling, Va. Good food, Tiki drinks & PLENTY of Tiki atmosphere. Well worth the drive!!!

View Profile of Thortiki Send a personal message to Thortiki  Goto the website of Thortiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-14 1:59 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-09-09 16:53, Thortiki wrote:
Just got back from drinks & food at the "Pacific" in Sterling, Va. Good food, Tiki drinks & PLENTY of Tiki atmosphere. Well worth the drive!!!

I was just there last night, and second the hearty recommendation. The ambience is very cool: lots of tikis, a big indoor koi pond with giant clamshell that spews fog, Hawaiian music playing in the background, tons of masks, war clubs, etc. The cocktails were pretty good, but the food was incredible! I had a Vietnamese dish (forget the name) with skewered beef and rice noodles that you wrapped up in very thin rice-paper tortillas, then dipped in hot sauce.

I also dined at the Peking Gourmet on Monday and had an excellent Navy Grog. I'll be going there again tonight with ikitnrev.

Weblog:
Eye of the Goof

[ This Message was edited by: MrBaliHai 2006-09-14 14:00 ]

[ This Message was edited by: MrBaliHai 2006-09-14 14:02 ]

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-17 08:10 am   Permalink

I had a tikiriffic time in the D.C. area last week, and ikitnrev is a marvelous host. My trip report and a few photos can be viewed here.

Weblog: Eye of the Goof

Mike the Headhunter
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-08 11:06 am   Permalink

Ok so I am going to DC march 23-30 what are the best spots if any, this is what I got so far...

Pacific - 46240 potomac run plaza sterling, Va 20165
www.chengspacific.com
Peking Gourmet Inn - 6029 Leesburg pike, Falls Church 22041 www.pekinggourmet.com
Smithsonian - find it yourself
politiki - as a drive by since it's just a front now. 319 pennsylvania ave SE washington dc, 20003
Vera's White sands -1200 white sands drive, Lusby maryland 20657 www.veraswhitesandsbeachclub.com

So far so good if anyone has any else let me know please. I am going to be museum looking most of the afternoon but exploring in the evenings.

View Profile of Mike the Headhunter Send a personal message to Mike the Headhunter      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation