FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Travel Washington DC area tiki?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Washington DC area tiki?
nature boy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-02-18 05:24 am   Permalink

JD,

Thank you for your research, as depressing as it is.

View Profile of nature boy Send a personal message to nature boy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-18 05:31 am   Permalink

sure thing.

i did not include the pacific restautant in sterling, virginia, as that seemed too far from dc and kind of borderline tiki. but it was a great place nonetheless while it lasted.

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Gnomon
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2011-02-18 4:49 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-02-17 11:59, Johnny Dollar wrote:

2) Aloha Inn - 608 Quince Orchard Rd, Gaithersburg, MD 20878
status: still open, but tikis/decor removed a long time ago
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=39208&forum=2

This place closed a long time ago. After it closed it became a Chinese restaurant where I have eaten a few times, last time being about 5 years ago. It is not visible from the street, but I drive right past that place several times a week, so I can stop by and check it out to see what's up.

View Profile of The Gnomon Send a personal message to The Gnomon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-21 6:34 pm   Permalink

Johnny Dollar,

I have two souvenir photo folders from some Pre-Tiki places is Washington DC.

The first is from the Trade Winds located on 13th Street.

The second is from Club Klavako.

Here is another one from Club Klavako that uses the imagery from the Monte Proser Beachcomber chain.

This place was apparently a pretty big jazz club at one time.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-22 06:31 am   Permalink

cool DC - there was once a monte prosser's beachbomber in baltimore during the ww2 era -

110 N. liberty street, baltimore, md 21201

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-02 7:01 pm   Permalink

Johnny Dollar,

Here are a few other Washington DC metro area Tiki places over in Alexandria, Virginia that weren't on your list.

Chick & Toshiko Lee's Pacific Inn

Clearly a borrow from Steven Crane's Luau Tiki.

And the Tahitian Hut, which is a bit newer.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-03 06:35 am   Permalink

shit howdy, thanks for the new info dc!!! (how fitting...)

Iscah
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-06-03 12:40 pm   Permalink

I'm a recent transplant to the east coast, been here for about six months and now that I'm pretty confident the snow's not coming back (hey, I'm from California), I'm going to venture out and see what I can find. Thanks to everyone for posting their findings! I'm going to try and make it to Solomons tonight if I can convince my partner to go with me.

View Profile of Iscah Send a personal message to Iscah      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JackLord
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-06 11:00 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-06-03 12:40, Iscah wrote:
I'm a recent transplant to the east coast, been here for about six months and now that I'm pretty confident the snow's not coming back (hey, I'm from California), I'm going to venture out and see what I can find. Thanks to everyone for posting their findings! I'm going to try and make it to Solomons tonight if I can convince my partner to go with me.

What did you think?

The Solomons Tiki Bar has pretty good decor and you can buy some nice mugs there. A good enough place to drink, but its not quite real Tiki. Still, a fun place to hit after a crab cake or two.

View Profile of JackLord Send a personal message to JackLord      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Iscah
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-06-06 11:05 am   Permalink

It was a no-go. =( My partner had too much to do Friday night, so we ended up not doing a whole lot. I'm hoping that we'll be able to do it this weekend instead. In the meantime, I'm trying to reassemble a passable stock of rums so I can at least make mai tais at home. Any idea where I can get the good Senor's Curacao?

View Profile of Iscah Send a personal message to Iscah      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-06 1:30 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-06-06 11:05, Iscah wrote:
It was a no-go. =( My partner had too much to do Friday night, so we ended up not doing a whole lot. I'm hoping that we'll be able to do it this weekend instead. In the meantime, I'm trying to reassemble a passable stock of rums so I can at least make mai tais at home. Any idea where I can get the good Senor's Curacao?

i don't live down that way, but in my experience both D.C. and Montgomery County liquor stores have pretty decent stock. some MoCo residents might chime in with actual stores to look for the senior curacao. i know i've seen it in their home bars

Iscah
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-06-14 09:12 am   Permalink

I found a couple of leads for getting both Rhum St. James and Senior's Curacao, liquor stores up by the Delaware state line. I'm on my way to Pennsylvania next week, so I was going to stop by and see what I could find. =) I'll let everyone know.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation