Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Aloha Jhoes thingamajig
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Aloha Jhoes thingamajig
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2002-10-27 2:19 pm   Permalink

Aloha

I recently saw a ceramic mult-colored 2 faced
tiki (looked a bit more african tribal) thing, about a foot tall with lotsa openings (a light or candle holder?) in it at an antiques store. The price scared me as I gently repositioned the thing back on the top shelf.

I have never seen any Aloha Jhoes stuff for sale and don't know how important this piece may be. Any help out there? Should I buy this possible rarity? ......thanks

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-28 4:02 pm   Permalink

It's rare, although it is not very Tiki in style. If you don't want it, please buy it for me, I will reimburse you. I am an Aloha Jhoe's fan and that's one of the few mugs I still would like to ad to my collection

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
fatuhiva
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-28 7:24 pm   Permalink

I believe that piece is by Sascha Brastoff. I have a picture of one somehwhere- its like a big ugly candleholder thing..

View Profile of fatuhiva Send a personal message to fatuhiva      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2002-10-28 10:47 pm   Permalink

Thanks Fatuhiva,

That seems like an accurate description, although the price sort of made my memory of the thing quite fuzzy.... or was it the drinks....or old age.............???...

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-30 1:42 pm   Permalink

How much is it? It's probably pricey because it is by some known 50s ceramic designer. Are you going to get it?
I am planning to come to Ventura sometime soon, someone wants to take me to a Chinese, but good Mai Tai serving restaurant....

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
fatuhiva
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-01 05:57 am   Permalink

checked on the mugs- yep, Sascha B.

Thats the reason for the high price.

[ This Message was edited by: fatuhiva on 2002-11-01 05:58 ]

View Profile of fatuhiva Send a personal message to fatuhiva      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Diablo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-01 10:37 am   Permalink

Bigbro, I've heard of that place in ventura. It's downtown and it might have a polynesian show on a weekday, if we are talking about the same place. I grew up in the area but never made my way over there.

View Profile of Tiki Diablo Send a personal message to Tiki Diablo  Email Tiki Diablo Goto the website of Tiki Diablo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-01 10:47 am   Permalink

Ventura? I thought Aloha Jhoe's was in Palm Springs.

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-03 09:49 am   Permalink

Pop, he's referring to the Chinese place in Ventura (see my prior post)...
I was just standing on the hallowed deserted desert grounds that once used to house Aloha Jhoe's yesterday...found a piece of tile that could be from it.
I wonder what is happening with that mug...I answered HIS question, didn't I?

bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2002-11-03 9:53 pm   Permalink

Fatuhiva

That picture is the exact piece! Thanks to all who responded to my ignorance.

I think the Chinese Restaurant is The Hong Kong Inn near the corner of Thompson and California in Ventura. They may still have the Polynesian floor show that I believe is only on Saturday Nights.

Mahalo

Trader_Rick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-04 12:39 am   Permalink

With regards to the Polynesian floor show in Ventura, a friend of mine said it was kinda lame. He said something about it being akin to sorority girls taking Hula lessons or something like that, I don't remember. All I know is that he was not impressed. Anyone else checked it out?

View Profile of Trader_Rick Send a personal message to Trader_Rick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbadtikidaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-12-11 6:51 pm   Permalink

Damn!
I came across one of these in an antique shop today.
It is so cool that I bit the bullet & bought the damn thing.
The most I've ever paid for a tiki item. (that really isnt tiki!)
Ouch, I dont know how people pay alot for tiki stuff on a regular basis. I usually dont & now that I have, I feel oddly guilty about it.

View Profile of bigbadtikidaddy Send a personal message to bigbadtikidaddy  Email bigbadtikidaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Futura Girl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-26 04:27 am   Permalink

Aloha Joes WAS a Polynesian restaurant in downtown Palm Springs...

View Profile of Futura Girl Send a personal message to Futura Girl  Goto the website of Futura Girl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2003-11-26 09:03 am   Permalink

They also had a cool menu, bamboo cups, and a ceramic moai mug.......

back side of mug

Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2003-11-26 09:24 am   Permalink

Bongofury,

That's a sweet mug, I have one like it and yours is the only other one I've seen before.

(Catholic Girls, with their little tiny mustache, Catholic girls, I love how the go. I got one for a cousin, so send me a dozen. FZ)

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation