FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving tikis by marcus thorn
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 Next Page )
tikis by marcus thorn
tiki beat by marcus thorn
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-05-12 7:51 pm   Permalink

Thanks Davez Tikiz, Hiltiki and of course GMan - this is my first moari so it was a great challenge - i hope I did it justice - cant wait to start another one to keep for me with a lot more tattoo fat chance of that happening for a while - I had my first TV appearance this week - it was a little piece about me and the tiki culture - turned out pretty good - I also bumped into a stranger at a woodworking exhibition yesterday and he was telling me how there was a guy on TV just this week that did Tikis - and I said "yeah that was me" and he said "oh yeah it is you - man you look like you've lost 15 kilos since that story was done (last week)so it is true TV does make ya fat! Gonna sit back and have that beer today and start some more stuff tomorrow - no more Krispy Kreme donuts for me.

[ This Message was edited by: tiki beat by marcus thorn 2006-05-12 20:00 ]

View Profile of tiki beat by marcus thorn Send a personal message to tiki beat by marcus thorn  Email tiki beat by marcus thorn Goto the website of tiki beat by marcus thorn     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tahitiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-05-12 8:37 pm   Permalink

Real nice, I like the way you did the eyes. Neat.

[ This Message was edited by: Tahitiki 2006-05-12 20:37 ]

View Profile of Tahitiki Send a personal message to Tahitiki  Email Tahitiki Goto the website of Tahitiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-13 12:11 am   Permalink

Marcus, that is so hot. Your attention to detail is incredible on this piece. Each spiral and line adds so much more to the piece.

Priceless.

Speechless.

He looks so at home at the surfshop.

Can't wait to see what's next.

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-13 05:00 am   Permalink

Nice stuff man. Those pics I got of the maori are gonna go up soon

Id be interested to know what the house of a guy who owns a major surf brand looks like too

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-13 9:35 pm   Permalink

Marcus, your tikis are all so different in style, it's always interesting to see what you are up to. Benzart, Gman, and Marcus all doing Maoris... The fascinating thing to me is how each artist can do the same genre, and infuse it with their own unique styling. Having got my feet wet with staining/antiquing, I'm also much impressed that side of your work as well.

Okay, enough lavishing of praise! Get back to work and show us another new and different Marcus tiki.

Please!

A-A

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SCTikiShack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-15 10:41 am   Permalink

Marcus,

I have been meaning to respond to your topics for quite a while now.
Surfing this morning with a couple of Aussies reminded me that I better send you some plugs.

Your tikis are outstanding! It is amazing the different styles and creativity that you put into your work. They are truly fine art.

Are you mostly carving gum trees?

Have fun in the land down under, I'm jealous I was trying to buy some land in Uladulla, but there is so much red-tape involved that we gave up.

Cheers,
Will

View Profile of SCTikiShack Send a personal message to SCTikiShack  Email SCTikiShack Goto the website of SCTikiShack     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-16 09:25 am   Permalink

WOW Marcus, Thanx for the pix, this guy is totally unbelievable. He is as great as I thought he would be. You got every bit of detail out of that log that was hidden in there. I'm gonna have to raise the bar even higher now. This has to be one of your Best pieces if not The Best.
VeryVery Excellent work, and you did it like it was just another walk in the park, no big detail.
You know we are expecting greater things from you now, no more slouching (Not that your earlier work is any slouch work mind you)
Thanks for sharing this Maori with us!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-05-18 01:15 am   Permalink

Thank you Tahitiki.
Lakesurfer - I cant wait to see whats next either - I have started on a piece of wood but he is yet to really reveal himself.
Hewey - I would like to check out his house too - maybe I can deliver the next tiki to his place?
Aarons Akua - thanks - the staining really brings everything together - it is like magic when you start applying it - shades and depths come out of nowhere!
SCtikishack - G'day mate - yeah I use real authentic australian gum - it is a great hardwood - hardly cracks and has some beautiful textures and grains through it. It goes down well in print to be able to say that I am using gum tree - very patriotic. Shame about the red tape - you can always come and visit us if you need a trip down under.
Benzart - dont go raising that bar too high - I wont be able to reach me beer! hehe. Seriously - thank you for lashings of praise - I cant afford to be a slacker with such great company as yourself - I really enjoyed this maori - have been wanting to do one since I first set chisel to wood but had to wait for my own evolution to that sort of quality - the maori demands a lot out of a carver as you well know.

View Profile of tiki beat by marcus thorn Send a personal message to tiki beat by marcus thorn  Email tiki beat by marcus thorn Goto the website of tiki beat by marcus thorn     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-18 04:06 am   Permalink

I just blew coffee through me nose. Dayum that's a nice Maori sir. More more.

Wow !!!

Mahalo

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-19 07:35 am   Permalink

Been meaning to ask, where do you get your wood from?

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-19 08:36 am   Permalink

are you kidding hewey? wood falls from the sky for the privilege of being carved by marcus.

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-19 09:09 am   Permalink

I just saw the finished result. Very nice. Your work is an Austrailian treasure.
JP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-05-19 2:30 pm   Permalink

Mctiki - Hate it when that happens, but thanks for the compliment (Gman uses plastic drop sheet over keyboard before looking at my stuff - if that is any help)
Hewey - trees fall down and I take them home - nah seriously - I contact my friendly local treeloppers and they are more than happy to help me out - I aint no greenie.
Pdrake - yeah thats right - I wake up most mornings walk out the back door and there is a line of logs all begging me to hit them with the chisel....how is your leg mending up - it looked pretty bad. Your little carved tiki went straight to the "tiki room" thanks for that - I have good memories when I see him. It looks as though I may get back over to the states next year - so we can catch up for a drink.
JohnnyP - Thanks

pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-20 1:53 pm   Permalink

the legs almost all better, thanks for asking. the dog scratched it so it bled a little, but i can walk normal again.

get back here and take me home with you. i'm hating vegas right now. too hot.

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MooneyTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-24 1:42 pm   Permalink

Aloha Marcus!!!!!
Your maori is incredable my friend . You and ben keep the wood flying in such a KOOL way with your carving flow that it is really cool to watch it all unfold,Mahalo my friend and keep the soul flowing through your chisels!!!!!your friend , Mooney

View Profile of MooneyTiki Send a personal message to MooneyTiki  Email MooneyTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation