FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving tikis by marcus thorn
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 Next Page )
tikis by marcus thorn
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-24 6:22 pm   Permalink

Marcus,

That Easter Islander carving is wicked! What type of wood is that? What techniques did you use to create it? Man what a monster! Your work is superb. I wish I could afford one!!! How long did it take you to complete that big piece?

-Gman

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Octane
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-25 10:21 pm   Permalink

great looking tikis, love the moai. Nice looking car as well. is it the 48's that have the cool hood opener, on the side that long oval peice of trim? any way good stuff.

View Profile of Octane Send a personal message to Octane      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki beat by marcus thorn
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2005-08-01 02:01 am   Permalink

This tiki is carved out of coconut and stained in a jarrah coloured stain.
Octane - Yeah the 48 is the one with the cool opener on the hood. Shes a beaut! I miss her and cant wait to get her home - Thanks for the kind words about my stuff.
GMAN - The big guy was hand carved - ie chisel and mallot out of Australian Gum tree and it took me more than 200 hours - but I lose track of the time when I get into one this size it is such a labour of love.

I am heading over to Fiji next month and would like to meet up with some carvers over there - does anyone know any Fijian nationals that are into carving? Or can you point me in the right direction to get in touch with someone over there. Thanks

[ This Message was edited by: tiki beat by marcus thorn 2005-08-01 03:22 ]

View Profile of tiki beat by marcus thorn Send a personal message to tiki beat by marcus thorn  Email tiki beat by marcus thorn Goto the website of tiki beat by marcus thorn     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-01 09:00 am   Permalink

Hey Marcus, I like this last one a lot. I couldnt see the frog(i hope??) on the bottom until I brightened up the pic a bit. Hope you don't mind. keep up the great work.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Fez Ape
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-01 09:18 am   Permalink

WOW that is a great looking tiki, GREAT JOB!

View Profile of Fez Ape Send a personal message to Fez Ape      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2005-08-17 12:21 am   Permalink

Pelican Pelican your beak can hold more than your belly can. So this is my latest project - dont believe the date on the bottom - i forgot to change it on my camera (bugger!)Ben I have to say a big thanks for your inspiration on this one and I know the lady it is going to will love it. All feedback appreciated. More pics to come as I progress on this little fella.

[ This Message was edited by: tiki beat by marcus thorn 2005-08-17 02:43 ]

View Profile of tiki beat by marcus thorn Send a personal message to tiki beat by marcus thorn  Email tiki beat by marcus thorn Goto the website of tiki beat by marcus thorn     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-17 01:19 am   Permalink

Marcus, now there's a pelican with an ATTITUDE! I love it and would Love to see the whole thing. Looks great so faar..

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-17 03:59 am   Permalink

Nice Tiki(s) I haven't carved a double yet (haven't carved a single either since June) That one is a great example sir.

Thanks for sharing

Mahalo

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
chisel slinger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-17 07:25 am   Permalink

the tikis are great, but the animals are superb. lets see more of them please. that pelican looks like he's about to lighten his load hahahahahahahaha.

[ This Message was edited by: chisel slinger 2005-08-17 07:28 ]

View Profile of chisel slinger Send a personal message to chisel slinger  Email chisel slinger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sam Gambino
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-17 08:44 am   Permalink

Fine work, marcus.. as always - AND this is the first time I've ever been mooned by a pelican!!

www.samgambino.com

View Profile of Sam Gambino Send a personal message to Sam Gambino  Email Sam Gambino Goto the website of Sam Gambino     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-17 6:29 pm   Permalink

Thats a really nice carving. So smooth, will look tops when given a lick of stain.

I love the slight 2 tone in the wood. Very nice. Its nicely shown in the slice on the ground to the right in the bottom pictures.

Looks like you got a nice garden too, but I dont see many tikis there And wheres that website?

[ This Message was edited by: hewey 2005-08-17 18:33 ]

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Palama Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-17 7:08 pm   Permalink

Marcus: excellent, excellent carvings! very impressive!

View Profile of Palama Tiki Send a personal message to Palama Tiki  Email Palama Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2005-08-22 4:28 pm   Permalink

Ben - Thanks again for the inspiration and yes he does have some Attitude - will be posting more pics of him real soon.
McTiki - the doubles accidentally happen - at the beginning there is one and then all of a sudden another guy takes form - so no use resisting the flow - hope this inspires you to pick your chisel and carve again.
Chisel Slinger - I wish the pelican would lighten his load - he is going to be a heavy and a little awkward fella to deliver!
Sam - Bottoms Up!! Sorry bit rude of me didn't realise until they were posted that he was mooning only you - but your right he is!! hehehe
Hewey - Website yes I vaguely remember starting that blasted thing and still hammering away at it - good things are worth waiting for so I am patiently waiting for my mate to finish it- he unfortunately has purchased a chopper (classic old bike) but it is nearly finished - the website - not the bike. If you look over the top of the pelicans butt you will see a tiki disguised as a palm tree in the garden. I have a few tikis around the yard - these ones I have had to cement in so people wont try and buy them - havent done one for myself in a while as too busy filling orders - we are having our Tiki Beat Annual Luau at the end of October so if you send me your details by personal message will drop you an invite.
Palama Tiki - Thanks for your kind words - and you keep up your good work too!

hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-22 5:37 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-08-22 16:28, tiki beat by marcus thorn wrote:
Hewey - Website yes I vaguely remember starting that blasted thing and still hammering away at it - good things are worth waiting for so I am patiently waiting for my mate to finish it- he unfortunately has purchased a chopper (classic old bike) but it is nearly finished - the website - not the bike. If you look over the top of the pelicans butt you will see a tiki disguised as a palm tree in the garden. I have a few tikis around the yard - these ones I have had to cement in so people wont try and buy them - havent done one for myself in a while as too busy filling orders - we are having our Tiki Beat Annual Luau at the end of October so if you send me your details by personal message will drop you an invite.

Arh! I could have been going up there in October too! But my uni work is due then and I expect to be flat strap. Bugger! Seriously bummed, but already pencilling it in for next year.

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-22 5:43 pm   Permalink

Marcus,

I'm not sure how I missed the pelican post, but wanted to chime in on how much I like it. That is truly beautiful. You're one talented dude!

-Gman

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation