FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Swanky creates elaborate firewood
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Swanky creates elaborate firewood
YankeeAirPirate
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-08-03 05:38 am   Permalink

Very nice!

View Profile of YankeeAirPirate Send a personal message to YankeeAirPirate  Email YankeeAirPirate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-03 4:21 pm   Permalink

More work around the mouth and the left eye.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-02 2:24 pm   Permalink

Been working on this a bit. Thought I'd update here to prove it!

Looking at this picture, I fubared that eyelid. Nothing like th eother one! So much for symetry! I cleaned out in the mouth, behind the teeth and I cleaned up a lot of messy cuts and shaped the headress a bit. Just so you know, the teeth will be cut last. May look a little odd at this point without them.

I really regrte the earlier deep cuts I made in the headress. I'll have to work around them. The sap wood on this is easy enough to carve, but the heart wood is hard as hell. Mallets only pretty much.

Learned a lot about how to work with the grain at Coon Tiki. I am putting it to use now.

I need a chainsaw badly. I have large amounts of wood to remove on the back of the head...

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-02 6:22 pm   Permalink

Swanky, LOOK at This guy coming alive, Are you surprised you have the skills to get this far? You can actually finish him if you just Believe and take it a step at a tome. Lookin' Good.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Yubaba
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-09-03 3:05 pm   Permalink

Looking great Swanky!
Be carefull though that he doesn't dry to quick coz' he's cracking up a bit

Greets

View Profile of Yubaba Send a personal message to Yubaba      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-03 3:23 pm   Permalink

He's classic! I can't wait to see 'er all done. I'm sure the headdress will look just swanky.

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-03 4:07 pm   Permalink

Keep plugging, Swanky. It looks good to me.

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-03 8:56 pm   Permalink

Ditto...looks great, brah.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-03 8:59 pm   Permalink

Rock on!

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-13 6:46 pm   Permalink

Geez, or, um Jeez, 2007? Man. Been a freakin while. I have done some stuff, but not really touched the chisels.

I must dedicate this to Tiki-Kate. It was her find that really inspired me, and her pictures that I have printed out as my inspiration. I must have my own cannibal trio for the Hideaway. Sort of an ode to Don Beach. So I started these three in Pawlonia, or is it Catalapa? Any way, some nice carving wood. Been taking an hour or so after work to hack on it. One guy at a time. Started as a straight copy, but it has evolved into my version. Still close to the original, but probably taking my own feelings into it. Feels good... Til I dropped a chisel in the driveway!

Your key to Beachbum Berry's books. Login and start concocting!

[ This Message was edited by: Swanky 2010-10-13 18:47 ]

4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-13 6:53 pm   Permalink

Great start!
Kate's cannibal thread inspired one of my carves, too.

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
phinz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-13 7:22 pm   Permalink

Driveway? You should be carving in the back yard! That way you have tiki mulch instead of dings in the chisels!

traderscotts.com

View Profile of phinz Send a personal message to phinz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-14 07:24 am   Permalink

Good start Tim, Take your time and remember,, GO Deeper!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-14 09:02 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-10-14 07:24, Benzart wrote:
Good start Tim, Take your time and remember,, GO Deeper!

Yep. I keep working my way down and down. Need a couple of new chisels I think. A deep 30 degree V for one.

I usually carve in the yard, but it was hot and I wanted shade. Never again! I think I may buy a new chisel rather than try to grind this back into shape!

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-25 3:47 pm   Permalink

A weekend carving project I have put off for many many months. Redoing the bar front and the rafters.

Basic Maori carving design, and my wife figured out the whole thing could be made with one spiral stamp!

3/4 inch round bit.

Torching it to get rid of all sharp edges and to stain it in one step!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation